Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2023 CX5 - Nightmare oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 01:02 PM
Angry 2023 CX5 - Nightmare oil change

2023 Mazda CX5 - bought in March took it in to the dealer for oil change and tire rotation at 7000 miles as the oil change service lights came on.

After the oil change ($137 !!!!) drove out and after 5 miles, on highway, lost all traction. no acceleration, all bells and whistles lighting up. Check Engine, Smart Brake System Malfunction, front Radar sensor system malfunction, Forward Smart City Brake support malfunction. Although speedometer says 45MPH i am going not more than 15-20 MPH and car really struggles going uphill and if i give some gas, Smoke bellowing through exhaust to cover all visibility. Harrowing time on the freeway, which put my life at risk.

Got back to the dealer and they look through it and say OIL OVERSPILLED ONTO O2 SENSOR. they have ISSUE RESOLVED and CLEANED/DETAILED. You are good to go. For now, it is driving fine.

I am totally not convinced that above is the sole reason that my car was smoking so much. From my research one of the potential causes is that the service person did not close the oil change cap resulting in oil spill and oil loss in engine.

What do folks here think about long term health of the engine/vehicle and what recourse do i have. OR anything is should check more.

Old 11-12-2023, 01:06 PM

Here is what someone suggested on another forum.

O2 sensor affects fuel mixture. Would not cause instruments to go wonky. Likely forgot to put oil filter cap on. This caused oil to spew over engine compartment. Oil in contact with exhaust manifold and pipe burned off causing smoke. Engine operates under a vacuum. Forgetting to replace oil cap kills vacuum and causes engine's computer to shut down the motor and trigger diagnostics, turn on lights and place motor in limp home mode. To verify open hood and examine engine compartment. If you see evidence of oil soaked motor and compartment, I'm right. If so, you've got to have it cleaned. Otherwise dust and dirt will build up and next summer expect a fire in the engine compartment. Hopefully there was no damage to the motor as running it low on oil shortens it's life by half or more. Dealer is hoping you get past warranty period before engine destructs. Then repairs are on you. I'd insist dealer extend warranty another 50000 miles.

Thoughts ?

Old 11-12-2023, 03:52 PM

ramkrish1

Welcome to the forum

Sooooo oil spelling on the (correct term) HO2sensor will not cause a DTC relating to the sensors. However not having the oil cap will. But if the oil cap was off the engine would have idled extremely poorly and would more likely have caused a DTC before you left the dealership or the with the service person driving out of the shop/garage where the oil service was done?
So we do have some mystery her as to what really happened>

If I had to GUESS and I do mean GUESS the oil cap was simply not secure properly and the cap off after a few minutes of driving.

My recommendation is to have the dealership or service shop that did the oil/filter service pressure wash your engine compartment and undercarriage.
I would also have them go into the ECU with we diagnostic scanner connected to the OBDII connector and check and note any current as well pending DTC's and also check the monitors and reset them.
If it is not offered you should ask for the nest oil and filter service be on them as a courtesy!!

I should add that the likely hood of a fire in the scenario above is highly unlikely.

ASE

Last edited by Callisto; 11-12-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:44 AM

Had to be the oil cap was not put on correctly.
These things can happen; over the years I've had:
Oil filters and drain plugs not properly tightened.
Drain plug seals not replaced.
Tune-ups that were not done, once the wrench had the items in his toolbox for resale after work.
Lug nuts not put on tightened or stripped.
You name it, it's how you handle these things after the fact.
I check to see if it was an honest mistake (**** happens).and occasionally I've instigated the termination of an employee (like the guy intentionally stealing parts).
If it were me, I'd want the shop to admit to the real reason and if they didn't, I'd report them to Mazda USA/Japan the BBB and then do some online review positing.
Thankfully, no long-lasting damage was likely done.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
If it were me, I'd want the shop to admit to the real reason and if they didn't, I'd report them to Mazda USA/Japan the BBB and then do some online review positing.
I had to threaten the dealer because they scuffed up my rim, and after saying I was going to do all of the things above they decided to repair it. Definitely fight it and have them fix the mistake they ultimately caused.