Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2024 Cx5 Carbon Edition Floaty steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 04:24 PM
Default 2024 Cx5 Carbon Edition Floaty steering

I just purchased a 2024 Cx5 carbon edition with regular engine. The steering feels floaty on the highway. Checked tire pressure and it was 45psi, way too high. Took it to dealer and they adjusted it. It’s a bit better but still not as comfortable as my old 2014 Cx5. It’s irritating. Feels like to much correction is needed. Has anyone had this problem. I love the car otherwise. Thanks

Old 07-13-2024, 08:43 AM

Welcome to the forum.

You should personally check the tires psi again and when they are COLD! Check less then 60f ambient and not in any direct sunlight.
Also what brand tires and size did you get on your Mazda?

The term floaty to you may be your descriptive wording but it is useless in the real world let alone a forum when asking for help. Try the long version of what you are feeling and less colorful words?

Old 07-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Default Further description of floaty

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum.

You should personally check the tires psi again and when they are COLD! Check less then 60f ambient and not in any direct sunlight.
Also what brand tires and size did you get on your Mazda?

The term floaty to you may be your descriptive wording but it is useless in the real world let alone a forum when asking for help. Try the long version of what you are feeling and less colorful words?
By floaty I mean it takes too many mini corrections to keep the car centered on the highway. My last 2014 grand touring cx5 felt more stable in the lane. Steering felt heavier, which I liked. I’m going to have the alignment checked next week. Since the 2024 came with overinflated tires I wonder if the alignment wasn’t properly checked as well. The tires are Toyo 19”. Thanks

Old 07-13-2024, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ludovico5678@yahoo.com
By floaty I mean it takes too many mini corrections to keep the car centered on the highway. My last 2014 grand touring cx5 felt more stable in the lane. Steering felt heavier, which I liked. I’m going to have the alignment checked next week. Since the 2024 came with overinflated tires I wonder if the alignment wasn’t properly checked as well. The tires are Toyo 19”. Thanks
Ok so first I recommend DONT compared to past vehicles. There can and almost always be to many variables. I can't speak for other service people, but my ears go deaf when customer compare.
Floating if that is your accurate descriptive word is either alignment or *worn or damaged suspension or steering part (*not likely in your case) or tire issue (wear pattern tread type psi etc.)

You gave no indication that anyone ever checked your alignment. Rather important information!??

If you have the alignment checked request an inspection on the chassis and suspension parts as well.

Old 07-13-2024, 01:40 PM

I'd have the dealer look at it since your car is under warranty.

Old 07-13-2024, 07:47 PM

Ok so first I recommend DONT compared to past vehicles. There can and almost always be to many variables. I can't speak for other service people, but my ears go deaf when customer compare.
Floating if that is your accurate descriptive word is either alignment or *worn or damaged suspension or steering part (*not likely in your case) or tire issue (wear pattern tread type psi etc.)

You gave no indication that anyone ever checked your alignment. Rather important information!??

If you have the alignment checked request an inspection on the chassis and suspension parts as well.
I’ll do all that. I assumed that the car was already inspected when I bought it a week ago. I guess not

Old 07-13-2024, 08:55 PM

Getting it checked by your dealer seems the best bet. If they say everything is normal, compare with another of the same year for your own assurance.

I still don't follow the description. Lots of tiny corrections makes me think tight steering. But then the previous car feeling "heavier" I usually associate with tight steering. Also, the Mazda is electronic steering and changes force relative to speed. It's pretty refined and feels accurate and responsive on my 2022. I've driven a 2024 Carbon and it felt exactly like my 2022.

Good luck.

Old 07-14-2024, 12:03 AM

If you do follow the advise to test drive the same vehicle at the Mazda dealer (not the best advise) it would need to have the same tires and tire pressure as your Mazda .

A far as feeling goes , humans really unless lots of experience can not accurately judge steering force. It requires the use of a specialized tool , which is a steering weight scale that measures the force applied at the steering wheel for turning or steering corrections .

And lastly the steering program in the ECU does far more than mentioned in the last response. A few of us have adjusted some PIDs more tailored for our driving style. The steering is also part of another system as well

Last edited by Callisto; 07-14-2024 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2024, 12:37 AM

If you do follow the advise to test drive the same vehicle at the Mazda dealer (not the best advise) it would need to have the same tires and tire pressure as your Mazda .

A far as feeling goes , humans really unless lots of experience can not accurately judge steering force. It requires the use of a specialized tool , which is a steering weight scale that measures the force applied at the steering wheel for turning or steering corrections .

And lastly the steering program in the ECU does far more than mentioned in the last response. A few of us have adjusted some PIDs more tailored for our driving style. The steering is also part of another system as well
Thanks for all the help. Next week I’ll sort it at the dealer.

Old 07-14-2024, 12:38 AM

Thanks for all the help. Next week I’ll sort it at the dealer.