Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

35,000 Timing Chain Cover Leak or Oil Burn and Screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 07:49 PM
Default 35,000 Timing Chain Cover Leak or Oil Burn and Screen

Alright guys. I have a good one. My MIL 2021 CX-5 non turbo.
I found that t car was "losing Oil". This was covered under Mazda warranty. The thing that is bugging me Is I inspected this vehicle several weeks before and did not see this oil leak coming from the timing cover. Which lead to two incidents going "low oil level on the dash requiring immediately filling". I know that this timing cover was now leaking and is a problem. Duh... Honestly I feel as if the engine is burning oil aswell. I don't get any wierd smoke from the vehicle. This was the service bulletin 01-006/23 Service bulletin . As a mechanic myself I was actually very interested in this repair and how they would go about it.

So I take a look at this guys work. Forgets to plug the wires that hang on the side and near the top of the motor back into their saddle (sloppy yes but whatever)

TO which I find (SEE PICTURE) my four year old could do a better job adhering the TSB guidelines for sealant dispensing. My question is. Since the TSB illicit states that over use of the sealant causes egress into the motor due to the step gap, should I be concerned?

*Should I be concerned with the repairs completed to my vehicle. I am referring to page 6-7 of the TSB for the timing cover and if anyone is notice oil burning in the NA CX-5. See attached photo. *

Additionally the front main display (10"?) is randomly shutting off during driving. The car stays running with no infotainment system display. The display turns back on once at the dealership and they state"your crazy it's working". I found that wiggling fuses in the main fuses block got it to come back on. I was also wondering if anyone knows about this issue.

With the repairs completed to my timing cover. NON of the oil from the bottom of the engine/car/chassis was cleaned. About halfway down the vehicle is shiny with oil. Bugs me. This isn't the problem. Whatever.

How do you ensure the repair to the motor was completed when I fact the motor is inherently covered in oil due to the leak that wasn't cleaned?

I'm starting to realize that they are hiring thess incompetent technicians and clearly not overseeing their work. The picture posted is After cleaning and me running it on the freeway to see if it's weeping where the timing cover meets the oil pan.

I posted this on reddit but as I reread this, I need someone that is a diehard mechanic to look at this for me and tell me what they think. I know that a seal job isn't going to be perfect but when the instructions explain with great detail to not to this, I am concerned.