Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

About To Buy CX 5-Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 06:57 AM
Default About To Buy CX 5-Have Questions

Hi all, I actually signed up with this forum years ago when I bought a new 2006 4x4 pickup. Had to sell it later because I needed more cabin space. Anyway now I'm about to buy a 2020 CX 5 AWD and have some questions. Firstly I'm curious (concerned ) about the AWD system. I currently have a Renault Duster 4x4 which those in the US will not have heard of but it uses the same "Intelligent 4WD" as the Nissan products. The system offers three modes: 2wd, a slippage sensing automatic mode and a lock mode where front and rear axels are locked together. The CX 5 system is evidently just slippage based with no ability to lock front and rear together. However from what I read and see on youtube it appears to work˚ very well. However I've read that in some situations on a rough dirt track where a wheel lifts off the ground you can completely lose traction. But then I have read and seen on tube that there is a "Turn Traction Control System Off" button on the dash that if you engage will send drive force to wheels on the ground. I do occasionally drive on dirt roads where that circumstance could occur. So my question is can you just go ahead and switch the TCS system off when driving over such roads or are you only supposed to switch it off temporarily if you get stuck? Of course another issue with dirt road tracks is the possibility of high centering and scaping the undercarriage. How easily damaged is the underside of the CX 5? I understand the car isn't meant for any really rough still and I don't need it to have that ability but I do travel some rough dirt roads here in Colombia. The main reason I'm in the market is the CX 5 has a lot more hp than my Duster: 188 vs 145.I drive up a curvy mountain road daily and want to be be able to get past slow moving trucks quickly.

I'm already a little disappointed with the local dealer in Cali, Colombia. My first color choice was the blue. Then after a day the lady sales manager said she checked with head quarters (in Bogota) and that color wasn't available on that version. Huh? So I said how about that "Titanium", a sort of a warm brownish gray? Nope not that either. It turns out I'm going to have a choice of light gray, dark gray, white or red. Bummer. But ok I'll live with that to get good handling and performance. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:11 PM

I would try to stay away from any of the premium paint colors. If you get some dings or damage it makes it difficult to blend in repairs.

JB

Old 07-28-2019, 06:52 AM

Ok thanks for that tip.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:45 AM

Regarding the paint, it's a hit or miss issue. We have the 2018 Red Soul Crystal now for 1.5 years and had no issues at all.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:37 PM

I found a dealer that can get me a blue one.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:03 AM

I have seen a few in the blue and really like it. That would be a good choice .

I have the Machine Grey metallic and we just had someone put a dent in it with a shopping cart. Paint is creased so now faced with trying to get it matched up.

It might require having both side doors painted to help blend the repair.

Good luck.

Jim

Old 07-30-2019, 08:59 AM

Thanks I'm encouraged. Looking forward to my blue version.