Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

ABS System failure caused crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 11:27 AM
Default ABS System failure caused crash

Hello and thanks for adding me to the forum . I have a 2023 Signature Turbo with all the bells & whistles. On April 26 I was following a SUV into a parking space , when I was braking to park my car accelerated & would not stop resulting in me hitting it . I swear my foot was on the break and kept yelling Stop Stop but it didn’t. Have any of you owners had an issue like this , even if it did not cause an accident 🤔. I have the EDR Diagnostic report which shows acceleration up to impac, showed no braking recorded during pre crash sequence.
I don’t feel I’m responsible for this accident, if you’ve had a similar experience please respond to this issue .
Thank you

Old 05-04-2024, 12:44 PM

If you did not get any RED lights like ABS or brake.... then I don't see any supporting facts that supports your theory. However it is more likely that in your panic stop you may have without knowing not completely let of the throttle or that some cause the throttle not to return to the idle position?
Here isa the thing... the ABS is a supplement to better improved braking then what most humans can do. If it fails it simply means that you are on non ABS assisted braking. Sort of like cars were for braking in the last 100 years. The ABS will not fight your attempts top stop only without it your braking factory specification for stopping from 6-mph is increased.
Maybe reword what your EDR info was because what you are saying is incomplete?

Old 05-04-2024, 12:46 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-05-2024, 11:11 AM

If the diagnostics showed no breaking but it showed acceleration, then despite what you may believe, you didn't brake.
I have had similar experiences by being on the receiving end of drivers who swear they braked but never actually did.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
If the diagnostics showed no breaking but it showed acceleration, then despite what you may believe, you didn't brake.
I have had similar experiences by being on the receiving end of drivers who swear they braked but never actually did.
I am a bit in question that the report showed NO braking? Iam pretty sure it did not show acceleration which would represent in a percentage relative to base line engine idling idle of 35%(-2-3%? ) ECU OEM calibrated.
Yes I agree and people with large feet and wearing shoes or boot say 10 inch mans size and larger can press both eh brake and the accelerator in a panic stop at the same time unknowingly.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:57 AM

If the ECU system is working correctly, it would tell me they hit the accelerator not the brake.
But then I'm a computer guy not an ASE trained person and have only done ECU testing on my Ducati motorcycles.
Meaning, I have no experience on how they operate in a 4-wheel vehicle, I just assume similarly, but I could be all wet in my assumption.
While the OP says the report shows acceleration and no braking, in fairness, I guess we wouldn't actually know without seeing the report itself.
Otherwise, it would be "hearsay" evidence
All I know for certain is I'd still be riding if the last guy to hit me actually braked as he claimed he did

Old 05-06-2024, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
If the ECU system is working correctly, it would tell me they hit the accelerator not the brake.
But then I'm a computer guy not an ASE trained person and have only done ECU testing on my Ducati motorcycles.
Meaning, I have no experience on how they operate in a 4-wheel vehicle, I just assume similarly, but I could be all wet in my assumption.
While the OP says the report shows acceleration and no braking, in fairness, I guess we wouldn't actually know without seeing the report itself.
Otherwise, it would be "hearsay" evidence
All I know for certain is I'd still be riding if the last guy to hit me actually braked as he claimed he did
Good looking bike I have mentioned in the past !
As far as i am aware and I have been completely through at least a 2018 Mazda Skyactive ECU and a couple other platforms like BMW there is no logging record for the drive-by-wire. So I am not sure what was told or what the OP has for data logging. There is some safety files having to with the SRS and ABS but very limited. I might add that the 2 systems are not connected or related in anyway , ABS/SRS and engine operation specifically throttle control. And unless Mazda made a lot of ECU programing changes through the company that builds both the ECU's and the programming then I still say like you that the brain think it was braking but the foot did not register the physical movement to the brake?

It has nothing to do with an ASE or any factory training certification, but it does have to do with a long-term direct involvement with equipment or to have actually gone to school and learned how to both understand and be able to perform ECI/EFI Performance calibration. to be able to have full access into the ECU, so it becomes cheaper to just get a stand-alone ECU and program it specifically tailored for the individual and the bikes systems and abilities. Not to question your skills and experience or put you on the spot but I was not aware of any company that offered full access ECU to any bikes factory ECU ? Most of my "race" and performance bike builder generally go stand alone because no one seems to have cracked the factory codes and with the support of top-of-the-line testing

Back on topic;
I looked around and it seems like on various platforms over the last 2+ decades there have been a few events that someone got into an accident and claimed the ABS failed and the engine with a drive-by-wire continued or was claimed acerated. Those threads the OP either never returned with updated information or stood fast to their information in the event. In any event at least 2 of those thread become a wonderland of DIY with how it could have happened. I did NOT participate in most of them and posted about the same information as this thread.

So my guess is this will be another "UNSOLVED MYSTRY"! lol

Old 05-13-2024, 01:32 PM
Default I had a similar accident

I have a Mazda 2022 cx5. In April of 2023. I was parking in front of a hotel. My car reved forward, hit the hotel. Something then caused my car to go into reverse. I must have lost consciousness. Then I came to. Hit the brakes. And then pulled forward.
Everyone blamed.me.. Said i must have hit the gas pedal...

Old 05-13-2024, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Leexml1
I have a Mazda 2022 cx5. In April of 2023. I was parking in front of a hotel. My car reved forward, hit the hotel. Something then caused my car to go into reverse. I must have lost consciousness. Then I came to. Hit the brakes. And then pulled forward.
Everyone blamed.me.. Said i must have hit the gas pedal...
So there is already some discrepancies in your response that can't happen without a human intervention! So if I were to read this on an accident report I would respond driver error!