Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Adaptive Headlights - when they become legal, do our cars already have them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 10:19 PM
Default Adaptive Headlights - when they become legal, do our cars already have them?

I recently bought a 2018 CX-5 GT, and was excited to read that it appeared to have adaptive headlights that actually run both high- and low-beams at the same time and through selective switching, can turn on and off individual LEDs within the headlights to avoid blinding oncoming drivers and pedestrians. Sadly, through more research, I learned that the technology, though popular in Europe and elsewhere, is not legal in US, as we have antiquated laws that prohibit cars from running both high and low beams at the same time, so though it looks like my beloved CX-5 GT was designed with these true 'adaptive technology' headlights, in US, all they do is automatically switch from high to low (like a 1967 Cadillac) and turn to highlight corners. Now that I'm seeing that our fabulous government has finally decided to permit this lifesaving technology in this country, my question is this: Are cars sold in US already furnished with the technology and the hardware that just needs to be enabled (by code or dealer) or are cars built for sale in US furnished only with the lackluster less-than-optimum features I mentioned above? I suspect that folks on this forum will be more knowledgeable than my local mechanic or Mazda dealer.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:31 AM
BWJ

Not quite right

https://www.motor1.com/news/567740/a...htsa-approval/

If you are lucky, its just a SW update.

Old 02-19-2022, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Its quite funny reading how archaic the headlight laws are/were in the USA, & how far behind the rest of the world they are/were.