Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Default Aftermarket wheels

What's up people. I recently purchased a 2021 CX-5 and I love love love it, but I didn't love the puny 17 inch wheels and how they didn't fit in the wheel wells. After a few weeks of internet research, I decided on 20 inch Fittipaldi 360 G rims and 255-45-20 tires. I love the beefier look and the ride hasn't changed a bit. If anyone is thinking about what size aftermarket wheels to buy, I feel like this is a perfect rim/tire size combo. It has completely changed the dynamic of the vehicle and I'm extremely happy with my decision

Old 05-11-2024, 06:05 AM

Looks great!

Old 05-11-2024, 08:31 AM

Welcome to the forum

Nice looking Mazda!

Are you considering lowering it maybe 3/4 inch?

Old 05-11-2024, 08:43 AM

I am surprised you would say the ride is the same with 20’s. Many have said the 19's on the GT's are rough compared to the 17's. Just physics really as the 17" wheels have a lot more sidewall to take impacts. I like the look though.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I am surprised you would say the ride is the same with 20’s. Many have said the 19's on the GT's are rough compared to the 17's. Just physics really as the 17" wheels have a lot more sidewall to take impacts. I like the look though.
ya.... it all how one views their platform and in this case ride quality.
Besides if he did not go with run flats and runs 28-30 psi then the ride would likely feel the same. The steering will be slower, and the mpg may go slightly down as well. But these are both disclaimed by owners when I post them.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bears2018CX5
Looks great!
thanks!

Old 05-11-2024, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Thank you. I was a little concerned about the ride but I honestly don't feel a discernable difference

Old 05-11-2024, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum

Nice looking Mazda!

Are you considering lowering it maybe 3/4 inch?
Thank you, and yes I would like to lower it. Any suggestions on how to do so, and will it affect the ride quality?

Old 05-11-2024, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ccomstock
Thank you, and yes I would like to lower it. Any suggestions on how to do so, and will it affect the ride quality?
If you can find a vendor offering lower spring set, make sure that they are progressive first and foremost and then contact them directly by phone and talk to them about the exact ride height and specifically about ride quality. But if they are progressive springs, you should not see a big difference in the ride quality unless you have more than 2 passengers and luggage. but then even with stock suspension you start to feel firmer ride quality under those load situations.

One company do not use because of your concerns is Cork Sport. I do like their product line and in some cases their spring sets but they are engineered for performance aspects and reducing body sway and increasing stability for faster corners speeds.

You might check with Racing Beat. Most of their sets are progressive spring and they tend to engineer and design spring sets that do not change braking bias and more importantly the steering angle geometry which always changes in a negative way when you lower the platform more than say aprox.1 ich in the front. Many argue this without facts, but it can be seen and registered on a 200 ft skid pad with an accelerometer. There is not really a way to correct the steering geometry except with very little available lower control arm spacers that are almost non existent on any platforms.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-11-2024 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
If you can find a vendor offering lower spring set, make sure that they are progressive first and foremost and then contact them directly by phone and talk to them about the exact ride height and specifically about ride quality. But if they are progressive springs, you should not see a big difference in the ride quality unless you have more than 2 passengers and luggage. but then even with stock suspension you start to feel firmer ride quality under those load situations.

One company do not use because of your concerns is Cork Sport. I do like their product line and in some cases their spring sets but they are engineered for performance aspects and reducing body sway and increasing stability for faster corners speeds.

You might check with Racing Beat. Most of their sets are progressive spring and they tend to engineer and design spring sets that do not change braking bias and more importantly the steering angle geometry which always changes in a negative way when you lower the platform more than say aprox.1 ich in the front. Many argue this without facts, but it can be seen and registered on a 200 ft skid pad with an accelerometer. There is not really a way to correct the steering geometry except with very little available lower control arm spacers that are almost non existent on any platforms.
thank you very much for the info!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels