Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
You might check with Racing Beat. Most of their sets are progressive spring and they tend to engineer and design spring sets that do not change braking bias and more importantly the steering angle geometry which always changes in a negative way when you lower the platform more than say aprox.1 ich in the front. Many argue this without facts, but it can be seen and registered on a 200 ft skid pad with an accelerometer. There is not really a way to correct the steering geometry except with very little available lower control arm spacers that are almost non existent on any platforms.
Racing Beat doesn't list any spring sets for the CX-5 on their website. Just some Koni dampers.
What are you trying to say about "steering angle geometry"? Are you implying that a vehicle lowered using springs with a more progressive rate somehow have different steering linkage geometry than one lowered the same amount on a spring with a more linear rate? By "steering angle geometry" Are you referring to the amount of ackermann effect or the amount of bump steer?

Also, CComstock: Your CX-5 looks really quite good on the 20"s with 255s on it! If Mazda had an 'M-Sport' equivalent this would be it!

Old 05-13-2024, 09:06 AM

You should contact Racing Beat direct.
Often spring can be used that are not applicated for a specific platform and model. This has been done for decades including MAZDA. I run non applicated rear dampeners on my Mazda that I found by going to the engineering specification of the manufacture. I have also over the year used spring sets not applicated for a specific model doing the same. Most spring and dampeners are product listed for targeted model for retail sales. And the point that they don't performance check every application so staying with complete OEM replacements is easier to market and sell products.

I am not implying but stating a fact. If you are only a daily driver then I would not be concerned, it is doubtful the average driver could feel the difference and the slight extra wear on tires can more or less be compensated for when you get an alignment after you insta any springs. If you sport drive or actually performance drive then yes it effect the steering in a negative way.
Yes the Ackerman can be affected but it is more a different angle then that generally, on A-arm with ball joint requires a spacer. Almost non exsistant for mor all platforms. But there are a few unfortunately non I am aware of for any Mazda? I wouldn't worry to much unless you want precise steering for cone chasing or competition driving.

Old 05-13-2024, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wheel_Nut
Racing Beat doesn't list any spring sets for the CX-5 on their website. Just some Koni dampers.
What are you trying to say about "steering angle geometry"? Are you implying that a vehicle lowered using springs with a more progressive rate somehow have different steering linkage geometry than one lowered the same amount on a spring with a more linear rate? By "steering angle geometry" Are you referring to the amount of ackermann effect or the amount of bump steer?

Also, CComstock: Your CX-5 looks really quite good on the 20"s with 255s on it! If Mazda had an 'M-Sport' equivalent this would be it!
Thanks!

Old 05-13-2024, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ccomstock
Thanks!
My response that quoted wheelnut was more or less for your benefit? I responded because I currently have this thread on watch setting and Monday I get bombarded with those at least having to read if not respond to on various forums.

I suppose my BIGGEST point is some should get of the internet and use the old fashion method of communication to call and talk to people direct.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:40 PM

My response that quoted wheelnut was more or less for your benefit? I responded because I currently have this thread on watch setting and Monday I get bombarded with those at least having to read if not respond to on various forums.

I suppose my BIGGEST point is some should get of the internet and use the old fashion method of communication to call and talk to people direct.
Fellas tbh i have no idea what you are arguing about lol, but I'd really love to drop the car about an inch to make me happy. I don't race or anything like that, the outstanding stock suspension is fine for me. I just want the look of the car to improve without adversely affecting the suspension too much.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:40 PM

👍👍😊

fellas tbh i have no idea what you are arguing about lol, but i'd really love to drop the car about an inch to make me happy. I don't race or anything like that, the outstanding stock suspension is fine for me. I just want the look of the car to improve without adversely affecting the suspension too much.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:09 PM

Fellas tbh i have no idea what you are arguing about lol, but I'd really love to drop the car about an inch to make me happy. I don't race or anything like that, the outstanding stock suspension is fine for me. I just want the look of the car to improve without adversely affecting the suspension too much.
It’s not an argument… it is simply some have a belief system that is not fact based. Also I can alway tell when a member on a forum read an article or 2 on suspension upgrading!
You really should not go more then 3/4 front and rear. In fact your model would be best at 3/4 front 1/2 rear. More will affect the dampener's ,bump stops and your load consideration. Also the need for other suspension upgrades .
I did a causal research and at this point I can’t find any supplier that offers stock replacement springs. Mazda yes but it is impossible to get engineering specifications from them. So the only other way to find a spring to do what I suggested I would need to first spec out a stock spring.Front and rear.

Any shop that does aftermarket shop would likely need to do the same thing to properly lower your Mazda.

Mazda is not a platform that I ever engineered and offered any suspension parts for.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-13-2024 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:11 AM

It’s not an argument… it is simply some have a belief system that is not fact based. Also I can alway tell when a member on a forum read an article or 2 on suspension upgrading!
You really should not go more then 3/4 front and rear. In fact your model would be best at 3/4 front 1/2 rear. More will affect the dampener's ,bump stops and your load consideration. Also the need for other suspension upgrades .
I did a causal research and at this point I can’t find any supplier that offers stock replacement springs. Mazda yes but it is impossible to get engineering specifications from them. So the only other way to find a spring to do what I suggested I would need to first spec out a stock spring.Front and rear.

Any shop that does aftermarket shop would likely need to do the same thing to properly lower your Mazda.

Mazda is not a platform that I ever engineered and offered any suspension parts for.
I have a me mechanic friend looking into it. Thanks for the info!

Old 05-14-2024, 10:03 AM

I have a me mechanic friend looking into it. Thanks for the info!
I would make sure that your friend looks for a progressive set ,or front and rear springs not linear. You will not like the ride quality on a linear shorter spring. Also if you decide to go 1+ inch you will also have a a higher resistance that is engineered in the struts and rear shock. Most even some lowering spring companies forget top mention this with their "spring sets" under their applications.
The high-pressure dampeners on your Mazda have a neutral ride position and as the spring is compressed the rebound dampening is increased. This basically translates into a firmer ride but not increased anti sway. This also has an effect on your ABS in a panic stop not necessarily in a positive manor. Lastly you will need a 4 wheel alignment no matter what springs you choose. The lower the vehicle the more consideration for seeking an advanced Alignment technician that can look beyond factory specification and find new alignment adjusting that will work with your tire and lower position. These kinds of experience alignment persons will likely adjust based on their experience and chalk your tires have you drive for a couple day and return for inspection to see if the new alignment setting are good.
Lastly don't forget (often done) to complete check from lock to lock the clearance of the tires in the wheel well with the suspension loaded and close to completely compressed or at least on the bump stops. (bums stops need to be shaved for the new ride height).
Before you attempt any lowering, you should have your chassis and suspension completely inspected for any wear and /or unusual wear.

Good luck and hope you get what your are looking for in your MAZDA aesthetically speaking.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:39 AM

I would make sure that your friend looks for a progressive set ,or front and rear springs not linear. You will not like the ride quality on a linear shorter spring. Also if you decide to go 1+ inch you will also have a a higher resistance that is engineered in the struts and rear shock. Most even some lowering spring companies forget top mention this with their "spring sets" under their applications.
The high-pressure dampeners on your Mazda have a neutral ride position and as the spring is compressed the rebound dampening is increased. This basically translates into a firmer ride but not increased anti sway. This also has an effect on your ABS in a panic stop not necessarily in a positive manor. Lastly you will need a 4 wheel alignment no matter what springs you choose. The lower the vehicle the more consideration for seeking an advanced Alignment technician that can look beyond factory specification and find new alignment adjusting that will work with your tire and lower position. These kinds of experience alignment persons will likely adjust based on their experience and chalk your tires have you drive for a couple day and return for inspection to see if the new alignment setting are good.
Lastly don't forget (often done) to complete check from lock to lock the clearance of the tires in the wheel well with the suspension loaded and close to completely compressed or at least on the bump stops. (bums stops need to be shaved for the new ride height).
Before you attempt any lowering, you should have your chassis and suspension completely inspected for any wear and /or unusual wear.

Good luck and hope you get what your are looking for in your MAZDA aesthetically speaking.
Thanks again, you've been very helpful