Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Android/ApplePlay Surprise at Local Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 02:37 PM
Smile Android/ApplePlay Surprise at Local Dealer

Hi All,
Last week I went to my local dealer for installation of several accessories (i.e., after market auto-start and Mazda interior lighting kit). While checking in the service staff asked if I was interested in Android Auto and ApplePlay. #Hellya! The service rep explained that dealers received a handful of Android Auto/ApplePlay upgrade units from Mazda in anticipation of a wider release in January 2019. Evidently, the number received is so limited that the dealer isn't advertising they received any given that they would run out very quickly. At any rate, I jumped on the opportunity to upgrade the infotainment system in my 2017 CX-5 GrandTouring! The total cost of the upgrade was $419.00. I've attached pictures of the upgraded USB-2 connection in the center console, the section of the receipt detailing the upgrade, as well as a page of the Android Auto/Apple Play manual I received post installation.

Regarding performance of Android Auto (what I use), I've found it to be relatively seamless. I'm able to use the existing voice activation button on the steering wheel to control Android Auto functions (e.g., sending text messages using Google Assistant, using Google Maps, launching Spotify, Audible, Sticher and Waze). The one issue I've found is with Waze. When I ask Google Assistant to take me to such and such an address, the address appears in Waze; however, I'm unable to launch/start the drive in the Waze app using voice or the "master" center console infotainment button (which is the main way one manually toggles through Android Auto options). In contrast, when I use Google Maps, I'm able to ask for directions to such and such, have the address appear in Maps and actually start the drive in the Maps app.

I'm not sure if this is an bug/error between Google and Waze or if this issue exists between SIRI and Waze as well when using ApplePlay. At any rate, I'm fine using Maps so am otherwise completely pleased with the upgraded infotainment system! I'm also able to easily switch between Android Auto and the Mazda Infotainment system. Additionally, I'm able to use Android Auto Google maps while listening to the radio. The maps directions seamlessly voice over the radio.

Figured I would share the good news with fellow Mazda CX-5 enthusiasts! Feel free to contact your local dealer to see if they have any early release Android Auto/Apple Play upgrades in stock. I can't promise they will, but it's worth asking. If you are unable to find an early release upgrade kit in your area, I strongly encourage upgrading when the option is more widely released. Now that my infotainment system has been upgraded to the modern times I'm truly over the moon for my CX-5!

Copy of page 3 from Android Auto/ApplePlay instruction book provided post upgrade

Copy of receipt detailing cost of Android Auto/ApplePlay Upgrade

Upgraded center console USB-2 Phone Input