Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Anti Rodent spray or other method

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 01:16 PM
Default Anti Rodent spray or other method

My son has a 19 CX-5 that suffered thousands of dollars of damage due to mice eating the main wiring harness and other connections (to battery, MAF sensor, etc.) harnesses. So now the question is how to prevent this from happening again? I am looking for some kind of spray that might help, or some other method.

I have ordered some Honda 4019-2317 rodent tape to protect my wife's 21 CX5, since she is over there all the time, and is worried she could be next.

Honda 4019-2317 is a capsaicin based tape. I am u
ncertain of the Honda 4019-2317 mechanism, but I would assume that the rodent takes a bite of the tape and is deterred I don't think the capsaicin is applied on the surface of the tape otherwise the capsaicin might be cooked off by heat or stripped by the adhesive . YouTubers are shown handling the tape without gloves, which seems to indicate it is safe to handle...

The dealer service desk suggested that peppermint oil does not work, and we should use a capsaicin based spray in the wheel wells, tires and the engine bay, but he did not have a recommendation on a brand or source, other than a vague Home Depot recommendation.

Researching at Home Depot, it seems that all the sprays are based on some combination of peppermint and other essential (Rosemary, etc.) oils, garlic and/or putrescent egg white solids.

The only capsaicin based spray I could find was Bonide 127. When you lookup Amazon reviews on spray, there is marked drop in ratings after 2020. Pretty much every review goes from 4-5 stars to 1 star don't waste your money. The complaint is that the concentration of capsaicin is so weak as to be non-existent, and it does not work. Some have gone so far as to taste it, and no heat to the tongue.

What do forum users find that works against mice? Nearly $7K in wiring damage is nothing to sneeze at. I did prepare a couple labels for inside the car to indicate that capsaicin is being used to deter mice for the technicians. I saw that ask somewhere on the Mazda forums I frequent.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
My son has a 19 CX-5 that suffered thousands of dollars of damage due to mice eating the main wiring harness and other connections (to battery, MAF sensor, etc.) harnesses. So now the question is how to prevent this from happening again? I am looking for some kind of spray that might help, or some other method.

I have ordered some Honda 4019-2317 rodent tape to protect my wife's 21 CX5, since she is over there all the time, and is worried she could be next.

ncertain of the Honda 4019-2317 mechanism, but I would assume that the rodent takes a bite of the tape and is deterred I don't think the capsaicin is applied on the surface of the tape otherwise the capsaicin might be cooked off by heat or stripped by the adhesive . YouTubers are shown handling the tape without gloves, which seems to indicate it is safe to handle...

The dealer service desk suggested that peppermint oil does not work, and we should use a capsaicin based spray in the wheel wells, tires and the engine bay, but he did not have a recommendation on a brand or source, other than a vague Home Depot recommendation.

Researching at Home Depot, it seems that all the sprays are based on some combination of peppermint and other essential (Rosemary, etc.) oils, garlic and/or putrescent egg white solids.

The only capsaicin based spray I could find was Bonide 127. When you lookup Amazon reviews on spray, there is marked drop in ratings after 2020. Pretty much every review goes from 4-5 stars to 1 star don't waste your money. The complaint is that the concentration of capsaicin is so weak as to be non-existent, and it does not work. Some have gone so far as to taste it, and no heat to the tongue.

What do forum users find that works against mice? Nearly $7K in wiring damage is nothing to sneeze at. I did prepare a couple labels for inside the car to indicate that capsaicin is being used to deter mice for the technicians. I saw that ask somewhere on the Mazda forums I frequent.

I've usually had trouble with them getting IN the car, but all my stuff is before they used soy based insulation. Spreading fabric softener sheets around inside will keep them out, but under the hood and such has too much air flow and the smell will dilute. If the car is parked in a garage when the little cheese thieves visit, I'd park it in the same spot all the time and spread Cayenne pepper powder around on the floor. As to the wiring, I think the tape may have the capsacin mixed into the plastic so that it's released when gnawed. I have enough cats wandering around my neighborhood I don't have much trouble with mice. Possums yes, mice no.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:15 AM

Buy Honda Roden tape. Common problem because car companies are trying to be environmentally friendly. Honda has big issue with it.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Skisurf1
Buy Honda Roden tape. Common problem because car companies are trying to be environmentally friendly. Honda has big issue with it.

You would think they would take care of that in the production process. It's called M.F.C.I. I know Henry Ford tried to make car body parts out of soybeans. You could NOT dent it. One of the company representatives was driving a car with soybean body parts though and a goat ate the trunk lid.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Place some household mice or rat poison around the engine bay.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:07 AM

It's almost impossible to keep rodents out of engine bays. They go in for the warmth, and kill time chewimg wirinb looms.

There are dozens of rodent traps on youtube, some very innovative, all using food to attract them.

It may be worth sertting a few near where you think they're gaining access, and trap them before they get in to do the damage.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Place some household mice or rat poison around the engine bay.

I won't use poisons. First, you can't control where they die. Then they rot. If it gets up in your quarter panel then dies, you have dead mice smell through the car. Secondly, what if Rover or Fluffy catches and eats them before they die? Now you have poison getting into the food chain, and belly, of a pet. I also don't use sticky traps as I just think they are cruel. Where I used to work, they put some out and when a mouse got caught, it started screaming. I didn't realize how loud and piercing a mouses scream can be. Then you have to kill it manually.

I was raised to live with Nature. I just encourage them to go elsewhere as much as possible. If I have to resort to a trap, either a snap trap for small ones that will get out of a live trap, or use a live trap and release them out in the woods.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Grouch
I won't use poisons. First, you can't control where they die. Then they rot. If it gets up in your quarter panel then dies, you have dead mice smell through the car. Secondly, what if Rover or Fluffy catches and eats them before they die? Now you have poison getting into the food chain, and belly, of a pet. I also don't use sticky traps as I just think they are cruel. Where I used to work, they put some out and when a mouse got caught, it started screaming. I didn't realize how loud and piercing a mouses scream can be. Then you have to kill it manually.

I was raised to live with Nature. I just encourage them to go elsewhere as much as possible. If I have to resort to a trap, either a snap trap for small ones that will get out of a live trap, or use a live trap and release them out in the woods.
I'm with you on the sticky traps. I once saw a mouse caught up in one of those traps that had nearly skinned itself in an attempt to escape the trap. While it wasn't my trap it was very troubling for me to see that.

I used to be with you on the poison bait traps and it still concerns me that another animal may eat a contaminated mouse. I got over that after I found a nest in my engine compartment of my Grand Prix and the spark plug wires chewed up. I had started the car and heard a loud snapping sound from under the hood. I popped the hood, with the motor still running, and saw the mouse nest on top of the motor. I grabbed the nest to clean it out and that's when I found out that the sparkplug wires were chewed. Guess how I found out? Yep, it lit me right up!

I only use fast acting baits in the traps and I only put the bait in the traps. Yes, the garage smells of dead mouse from time to time but it's better than risking having my cars chewed on.

YMMV and keep that poison away from your pets!

YMMV

Old 03-31-2022, 11:24 AM

I had this problem with my 2012 CT200h that was parked outside for long periods. I put mothball bags in a small plastic colander and moved it under the car. Has worked so far.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:45 PM

Ive seen quite a few cars with rodent damage come into our shop- Most sat outside and were not driven over the winter - I am using a " rid-a-rat" which easily attaches to the battery with two +/- clips included ...or you can buy the AA battery operated version - it has a magnet and it goes under the hood , and has a led - high intensity light that flashes periodically , placement is crucial - had good results with it on my 3 which is now parked outside / and dont have anything on my CX-5 in the garage - nothing it 100% but mice / rats hate light - think you can buy on amazon or direct from "rid-a-rat"

Quick Reply: Anti Rodent spray or other method