Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Any rumors about next gen CX-5 (CX-50?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 08:39 AM
Default Any rumors about next gen CX-5 (CX-50?)

I was surprised Mazda had no mid-cycle refresh for the 2020 CX-5. This leads me to believe the 2021 model will be the last year for the 2nd generation. I think Mazda will make little to no changes again for the 2021 model. They may change up some option groupings or something but that will probably be about it. The 2021 model will probably be short, maybe introduced in August 2020 and end around March of 2021. Then, Mazda will probably introduce the all new 2022 CX-5 (or CX-50) in March or April of of 2021 on the new Mazda 3 / CX-30 platform. I also think they will continue with their new model naming strategy they introduced with the new CX-30. Just a guess. Any rumors out there?

Last edited by edmondcx5; 02-24-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by edmondcx5
I was surprised Mazda had no mid-cycle refresh for the 2020 CX-5. This leads me to believe the 2021 model will be the last year for the 2nd generation. I think Mazda will make little to no changes again for the 2021 model. They may change up some option groupings or something but that will probably be about it. The 2021 model will probably be short, maybe introduced in August 2020 and end around March of 2021. Then, Mazda will probably introduce the all new 2022 CX-5 (or CX-50) in March or April of of 2021 on the new Mazda 3 / CX-30 platform. I also think they will continue with their new model naming strategy they introduced with the new CX-30. Just a guess. Any rumors out there?
All good guesses.

I heard a rumor that Mazda plans no significant product introductions for several years. I think the first vehicle they should update is the CX-3. The CX-3 is in the hottest market segment and Mazda has not been as successful in this segment as it could be. The CX-5 is near perfect and perhaps if they know what's best, they should leave it alone for a while.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:28 PM

I agree, they will leave things most likely unchanged for a while for the CX-5. Looks already pretty good and standard features are great as well. Maybe an update to the seats

Old 02-24-2020, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
All good guesses.

I heard a rumor that Mazda plans no significant product introductions for several years. I think the first vehicle they should update is the CX-3. The CX-3 is in the hottest market segment and Mazda has not been as successful in this segment as it could be. The CX-5 is near perfect and perhaps if they know what's best, they should leave it alone for a while.
As an owner of a 2017 CX-5 AWD GT I have to say it is quite good. Had it almost 3 years and it's been a great vehicle.
My theory that the '22 CX-5 (CX-50) will be an all new model on the new Mazda 3 platform is partially due to the fact that the 2nd generation CX-5 is still (really)on the first gen platform , basically just a very heavy refresh. So if '21 is the final year, that would essentially give Mazda 8 years on the current platform. I think that might be pushing the envelope if Mazda wants to stay competitive.
I could easily be off by one year. Maybe Mazda will do a mid-cycle refresh of the CX-5 for '21, the '22 would be mostly carryover and an all new CX-5 (CX-50)for '23.
I drove a CX-3 as a loaner once just after I bought my CX-5. I hated it. It was loud and tiny. I actually think Mazda will drop the CX-3 from the US market since the CX-30 already overlaps it in price.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:56 PM

I am thinking the 2021 CX-5 will feature minor changes, perhaps equipment additions or such on certain trims; in other words similar to 2020, nothing major. That would give five years for this second generation. However, since the CX-5 is Mazda's best seller globally, it will be interesting to see what the next major update (third-generation) brings, name aside (hybrid maybe, or that six-cylinder being worked on?). Regarding the CX-3, I tend to believe it will be gone from the USA lineup after 2020 (model-year and/or calendar year). Mazda realized several years back (via lagging sales) that the CX-3, while an excellent sub-compact CUV (I owned one for two-and-a-half years), is too small to appeal to most US shoppers and a slightly larger unit (CX-30) was needed to compete with the HR-V, Rogue Sport, and Crosstrek in that market space.

Last edited by skyking; 02-25-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by skyking
I am thinking the 2021 CX-5 will feature minor changes, perhaps equipment additions or such on certain trims; in other words similar to 2020, nothing major. That would give five years for this second generation. However, since the CX-5 is Mazda's best seller globally, it will be interesting to see what the next major update (third-generation) brings, name aside (hybrid maybe, or that six-cylinder being worked on?). Regarding the CX-3, I tend to believe it will be gone from the USA lineup after 2020 (model-year and/or calendar year). Mazda realized several years back (via lagging sales) that the CX-3, while an excellent sub-compact CUV (I owned one for two-and-a-half years), is too small to appeal to most US shoppers and a slightly larger unit (CX-30) was needed to compete with the HR-V, Rogue Sport, and Crosstrek in that market space.
Agree that the CX-3 will be gone from the US market and replaced essentially by the CX-30.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by edmondcx5
If you think about it they kind of did a decent refresh by adding an entirely new power train option in 2019 along with two new trim levels GTR and Sig. The Signature added a luxury variant never offered before in the CX-5. For '20 they added paddle shifters to the wheel and a larger 8" screen on the dash (on some models). To me Mazda is doing a pretty decent job of adding features considering the current gen is into its 4th model year. The styling doesn't need any changes. they have it dialed in IMHO. Still the best looking non luxury CUV on the market.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
If you think about it they kind of did a decent refresh by adding an entirely new power train option in 2019 along with two new trim levels GTR and Sig. The Signature added a luxury variant never offered before in the CX-5. For '20 they added paddle shifters to the wheel and a larger 8" screen on the dash (on some models). To me Mazda is doing a pretty decent job of adding features considering the current gen is into its 4th model year. The styling doesn't need any changes. they have it dialed in IMHO. Still the best looking non luxury CUV on the market.
I agree that Mazda has made some hardware changes to the CX-5. The addition of turbo power was a welcome change and definitely pushed the CX-5 even further into "Mazda Premium". The Lexus NX becomes a hard-sell in a direct comparison with the CX-5 turbo. But Mazda has made no exterior changes at all. I agree they hit the nail with styling but if a new CX-5 isn't coming in '22 then they definitely have to do a mid-cycle refresh for '21. I would assume most of the new tech/switch gear we see on the CX-30 will be in a slightly updated '21 CX-5. For Mazda to stay competitive I can't see them using the current platform past the '22 model year.

Last edited by edmondcx5; 02-27-2020 at 07:21 AM.