Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Anybody replace their CX-5 horn?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 07:27 PM
Default Anybody replace their CX-5 horn?

I live in a place where most drivers seem to not realize that there are other drivers on the road with them, so having a very loud horn can help keep their vehicle and my vehicle from trying to occupy the same space, at the same time. I had to use the horn in my new-to-me CX-5 yesterday and I'm not sure the other driver got the point I was trying to make. Maybe it didn't sound so loud because the CX-5 is such a quiet vehicle, but I've been dealing with MX-5 horns since 1993 and it's common to replace their horns with something that will get some attention.

I'm thinking I will change my horn, but I'm not sure where it is.

Has anybody else replaced their horn?

Old 02-26-2022, 10:54 PM

Thinking about doing that myself.
The horn is below the air filter box. Not easy to get to.
Looks like a lot of work as I have the turbo plumbing to contend with.

My 2¢

Old 02-27-2022, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by arcamm
I live in a place where most drivers seem to not realize that there are other drivers on the road with them, so having a very loud horn can help keep their vehicle and my vehicle from trying to occupy the same space, at the same time. I had to use the horn in my new-to-me CX-5 yesterday and I'm not sure the other driver got the point I was trying to make. Maybe it didn't sound so loud because the CX-5 is such a quiet vehicle, but I've been dealing with MX-5 horns since 1993 and it's common to replace their horns with something that will get some attention.

I'm thinking I will change my horn, but I'm not sure where it is.

Has anybody else replaced their horn?
You must live in the same area that I do!

"Maybe it didn't sound so loud because the CX-5 is such a quiet vehicle,"

Your logic escapes me here. The CX is too quiet therefor the horn doesn't sound as loud?

"I'm thinking I will change my horn, but I'm not sure where it is."

Pop the hood and have someone honk the horn while you're bending over the engine compartment, you'll find it then!

Old 02-27-2022, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Thinking about doing that myself.
The horn is below the air filter box. Not easy to get to.
Looks like a lot of work as I have the turbo plumbing to contend with.

My 2¢
I found the service manual procedure for my NA.
1. Disconnect negative battery terminal.
2. Remove front bumper.
3. Remove connector.
4. Remove bolt.
5 Remove horn.

They had me right up to the bumper part..
I need a plan B.

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
You must live in the same area that I do!

"Maybe it didn't sound so loud because the CX-5 is such a quiet vehicle,"

Your logic escapes me here. The CX is too quiet therefor the horn doesn't sound as loud?

"I'm thinking I will change my horn, but I'm not sure where it is."

Pop the hood and have someone honk the horn while you're bending over the engine compartment, you'll find it then!
I was meaning that maybe the horn was louder than I perceived it from inside the car. There was a bit jest there.

I haven't had the car long enough to go exploring for the horn yet. It's on today's list. I'll keep your method in mind.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:59 AM

This response will save you the time and experimenting if you take it?
I am pretty sure you're not going to like the result of simply replacing he OE horns. I have tried the so-called LOUD aftermarket OE horns..... LOL They will still sound like a factory and on any other vehicle horn only a little louder.
Adding a single trumpet style horn (dual and triple is even better but space and installation needs more planning consideration) is the only real way to get attention you want when needing to use your horn. It is about an hour for experienced DIY, 2-hour for the not so experienced DIY.

These horns can be found on most websites Amazon, eBay etc....... I recommend the plated metal or painted versions over the plastic. There are a few other pre prep things if anyone actually takes my recommendation i will come back and post.
I will also add that if you have an alarm these trumpet horns DO get attention if the alarm goes off and not ignored like OE or OE aftermarket horn do.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:35 PM

I agree! I've only ever replaced OEM horns with air driven replacements (it's hard find old 60's Cadillac or Buick dual horns anymore). We've had three Miatas and I've replaced all three with either dual trumpet horns or a Wolo Bad Boy. The Miata's are a pain to do without some major disassembly, but doable. I'm hoping the CX-5 can be done without major hassle. I'm not interested in pulling the front bumper off.