Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Apple Carplay issues on 2016 Mazda CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Raprider
Following up...
I drove the CX-5 today, and plugged in my Android phone...AA synched quickly and easily, and yes, I see both Google Maps and Waze on the display, as well as about 10 other app icons. I've played a bit with Pandora (including using the steering wheel controls and the command dial to change stations), Contact list calling, voice-response texting, and having the weather and my day's calendar read to me, all with success.
How can I get other apps, e.g. GasBuddy or others that I have on the phone to appear on the display?

I have yet to test out my wife's iPhone.
The display only shows apps that are designed for Android Auto / Apple Car Play. You cannot display any app. In your app store on your phone, search for compatible apps.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:48 PM

Thanks for clarifying, mazda_nc_dude!

Old 05-06-2020, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Raprider
Wife just had ACP/AA installed (by dealer) on her new 2016.5 GT, and so far seems to like it, especially direct access to her podcasts.
She has mentioned a couple curiousities though:
Only able to bring up Apple Maps, not Google Maps or Waze
Unable to switch from ACP over to regular AM/FM radio without disconnecting from ACP.

I've not tried it yet...she stingy with the keys!
But...are these normal or solvable issues?
If your iphone has OS 12 or higher, you can get Google Maps and Waze to work with Carplay. I had the dealer install the upgrade and Carplay works well. Android Auto does not connect with my wife's Android phone running version 6.02 however. Anybody in the forum have this problem? Would a new phone running a higher version of Android work?

Old 05-06-2020, 01:44 PM

Apparently AA will work in the head unit if the phone is a selected Samsung or a Google Pixel running Android ver 8+.No other makes need apply.