Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Autodimming mirror with HomeLink

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 07:57 AM
Default Autodimming mirror with HomeLink

I have a 2020 CX5 Grand Touring with the auto dimming mirror w/ Homelink, Last night I drove it the first time at night when the headlights had to come on. I noticed that there was no backlighting on the Homelink buttons on the mirror. I searched through the Owners Manual and could not find any reference to whether these were backlit or not. Without backlighting it ias very hard to determine which HomeLink button is which. I had to do it by feel. Does anyone have any information on this.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 9O.,NQi&
I have a 2020 CX5 Grand Touring with the auto dimming mirror w/ Homelink, Last night I drove it the first time at night when the headlights had to come on. I noticed that there was no backlighting on the Homelink buttons on the mirror. I searched through the Owners Manual and could not find any reference to whether these were backlit or not. Without backlighting it ias very hard to determine which HomeLink button is which. I had to do it by feel. Does anyone have any information on this.
There's a LOT of things not in the Owner's Manual!

Old 09-12-2020, 08:34 AM

Nope- no backlighting in the mirror. There are some strange omissions in the CX-5 for sure. It really should have more indirect(ambient) lighting than it does. Foot wells and door handles should also have lighting. Small details make all the difference. I noticed a current gen Tuscon in a parking lot the other day (not even the Ultimate trim either) which had lights behind the exterior door handles.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:11 AM

They get the mirrors from Gentex, the one in my 2016 is identical to the one in my old Outback. The buttons aren't backlit, I use the on indicator LED as a reference to find the correct button after dark.

Old 09-12-2020, 01:07 PM

Chris. Thanks for the info. Thats is what I ended up having to do. Does not say much for an "upscale" $35k car. Much like the crappy XM radio receiver they use.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:11 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Nope- no backlighting in the mirror. There are some strange omissions in the CX-5 for sure. It really should have more indirect(ambient) lighting than it does. Foot wells and door handles should also have lighting. Small details make all the difference. I noticed a current gen Tuscon in a parking lot the other day (not even the Ultimate trim either) which had lights behind the exterior door handles.

Also discovered that while there are numerous functions on the two steering column stalks including headlight and wiper controls, they aren't lit either. Kind of dangerous driving at night with steering wheel in one hand and flashlight in the other. Starting to look like the "CX-5" designation should be more like "Day-Time-Only" model. Maybe boss in this division was someone's son-in-law... ;-{

Last edited by Whit; 09-13-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Whit
Also discovered that while there are numerous functions on the two steering column stalks including headlight and wiper controls, they aren't lit either. Kind of dangerous driving at night with steering wheel in one hand and flashlight in the other. Starting to look like the "CX-5" designation should be more like "Day-Time-Only" model. Maybe boss in this division was someone's son-in-law... ;-{
It's a good thing you didn't have to drive cars in the old days. You'd never be able to handle it.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Whit
I must have spent my life driving the wrong cars, I've never had a car with lighted stalk controls. Get rid of the CX-5,it's obviously not for you.

Last edited by Chris!; 09-14-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
It's a good thing you didn't have to drive cars in the old days. You'd never be able to handle it.
I'm 81 and been driving since I was 15. My first car was a '50 Chevy, I pulled the Stovebolt Six and stuffed a '54 Olds V8 into it.
Tell me what I missed out on old-timer. ;->

Old 09-14-2020, 11:09 AM

This is the first car I've had with so many controls on the stalks. I've got 500 miles on the CX-5 now and I'm looking around.
I do like the way it handles though...mostly. ;->

Quick Reply: Autodimming mirror with HomeLink