Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

BadAss UltraGauge by Callisto

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
What is popular with the MX5 NC crowd is to mount an Android head unit in place of the stock radio, but that doesn't work too well with the more modern vehicles where so many of the vehicle functions are routed through the head unit.
That seem like a messy way to access the OBDII and to set up a monitoring system page? IKD??? And I didn't look to much, but I didn't really eve see where anyone was using with a ECU access monitoring program via blue tooth or Wi-Fi?
There is also a problem that could come up when use that type of set up and that the ECU reporting could affect the actual ECU regarding it commands to the engine. This is not talked about too much with some of those "cheap" OBDII diagnostic programs. I have seen this on data logging when a system would fall off and then recover. This use to have me spinning circles why it would happen until I talked to my old EFI/ECU Performance Calibration instructor and advised me to tell who I was doing calibration for to turn off or unplug the Diagnostic port during data logging and new ECU Calibration uploads.
As far as all the vehicle's I have used the ULTRA Gauge on which include BMW/MINI, Ford< Chrysler and now the new Skyactiv MAZDA I have yet to have an ECU "BURB" because of accessing 8 PIDs at one time for monitoring and filling up additional stand by 7 other full pages.

Old 02-09-2022, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I am not sure why amazon say not available, try the direct website? I just went all the way to the checkout cart and purchase screen with no problem? I would guess that it would have stopped me before going that far? Let us know if you go thier to get one!
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center (ultra-gauge.com)
Yes, I went straight to the source for mine.
As far as Torque, etc. I'm a dinosaur. I just got a "smart" phone a year ago and don't use it for anything but calls/messages. Trying to tie it into the vehicle just ain't a happening thing.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:39 PM

That seem like a messy way to access the OBDII and to set up a monitoring system page? IKD??? And I didn't look to much, but I didn't really eve see where anyone was using with a ECU access monitoring program via blue tooth or Wi-Fi?
There is also a problem that could come up when use that type of set up and that the ECU reporting could affect the actual ECU regarding it commands to the engine. This is not talked about too much with some of those "cheap" OBDII diagnostic programs. I have seen this on data logging when a system would fall off and then recover. This use to have me spinning circles why it would happen until I talked to my old EFI/ECU Performance Calibration instructor and advised me to tell who I was doing calibration for to turn off or unplug the Diagnostic port during data logging and new ECU Calibration uploads.
As far as all the vehicle's I have used the ULTRA Gauge on which include BMW/MINI, Ford< Chrysler and now the new Skyactiv MAZDA I have yet to have an ECU "BURB" because of accessing 8 PIDs at one time for monitoring and filling up additional stand by 7 other full pages.
The 4th message in this thread shows an installation and how it is being used for daily driving. There are a number of others, but I don't remember where those are posted now.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthrea...t=OBD2+android

Old 02-11-2022, 08:46 AM
Default Non-Standard PIDs/OEM-specific PIDs

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I went to Wikipedia and pls see this short excerpt:

Non-standard PIDs[edit]

The majority of all OBD-II PIDs in use are non-standard. For most modern vehicles, there are many more functions supported on the OBD-II interface than are covered by the standard PIDs, and there is relatively minor overlap between vehicle manufacturers for these non-standard PIDs.

There is very limited information available in the public domain for non-standard PIDs. The primary source of information on non-standard PIDs across different manufacturers is maintained by the US-based Equipment and Tool Institute and only available to members. The price of ETI membership for access to scan codes varies based on company size defined by annual sales of automotive tools and equipment in North America:
Annual Sales in North America Annual Dues Under $10,000,000 $5,000 $10,000,000 - $50,000,000 $7,500 Greater than $50,000,000 $10,000However, even ETI membership will not provide full documentation for non-standard PIDs. ETI state:[7][8]
Some OEMs refuse to use ETI as a one-stop source of scan tool information. They prefer to do business with each tool company separately. These companies also require that you enter into a contract with them. The charges vary but here is a snapshot as of April 13th, 2015 of the per year charges:
GM $50,000 Honda $5,000 Suzuki $1,000 BMW $25,500 plus $2,000 per update. Updates occur annually.

With respect to non-standard vehicle manufacturer PIDs, if they exist and are properly formatted/structured, will any decent Scan Tool pick them up from the OBD-II interface? Or does it depend whose Scan Tool you have? Thank you.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I went to Wikipedia and pls see this short excerpt:With respect to non-standard vehicle manufacturer PIDs, if they exist and are properly formatted/structured, will any decent Scan Tool pick them up from the OBD-II interface? Or does it depend on whose Scan Tool you have? Thank you.
I would be guessing, and I really try NOT to do that on a forum. Can you image if I was wrong what a few members would do and capitalize on that. lol

I know on some platforms to accesses' full ECU cells it requires specialized unlocking programs. Once there I can see so much more then even my Snap-on Solus. I do realize that for the average "JOE" which included Technicians this information is not very useful, and most would not know how to decipher what they see let alone make adjustments? Case in point while I love and use my ULTRA GAUGE every time, I get into one of my vehicles, when I do EFI/ECU Performance calibrating I rely on DATA logging of the access program device and only casually look at the info displayed on the ULTRA GAUGE.
Below is a sample sent by one of my customers to review a specific request DATA log from me to see if I needed to make changes in the ECU. You can see that there are some fields that are not covered with the ULTRA GAUGE and most standard OBDI, OBDII and CAN-bus systems diagnostic equipment like my Snap-on Solus.

Yup that's what I do at least a couple times a month, hours of looking at DATA Logging LOL. Most come from Australia customers.

Last edited by Callisto; 02-11-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:39 PM

I would be guessing, and I really try NOT to do that on a forum. Can you image if I was wrong what a few members would do and capitalize on that. lol

I know on some platforms to accesses' full ECU cells it requires specialized unlocking programs. Once there I can see so much more then even my Snap-on Solus. I do realize that for the average "JOE" which included Technicians this information is not very useful, and most would not know how to decipher what they see let alone make adjustments? Case in point while I love and use my ULTRA GAUGE every time, I get into one of my vehicles, when I do EFI/ECU Performance calibrating I rely on DATA logging of the access program device and only casually look at the info displayed on the ULTRA GAUGE.
Below is a sample sent by one of my customers to review a specific request DATA log from me to see if I needed to make changes in the ECU. You can see that there are some fields that are not covered with the ULTRA GAUGE and most standard OBDI, OBDII and CAN-bus systems diagnostic equipment like my Snap-on Solus.

Yup that's what I do at least a couple times a month, hours of looking at DATA Logging LOL. Most come from Australia customers.
Thank you Callisto.

If you are ever wrong, the 'Committee' will tar, feather, and drop you out of an airplane over the Pacific Ocean.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
Thank you Callisto.

If you are ever wrong, the 'Committee' will tar, feather, and drop you out of an airplane over the Pacific Ocean.

hahahahaha ^^^^ hahahahaha...

Here is my FORD Explorer on the UltaGauge Forum
You can also see my PT Cruiser as well.

Ford Explorer Custom Mount (ultra-gauge.com)

PT Cruiser custom mount (ultra-gauge.com)

Old 02-11-2022, 06:43 PM

hahahahaha ^^^^ hahahahaha...

Here is my FORD Explorer on the UltaGauge Forum
You can also see my PT Cruiser as well.

Ford Explorer Custom Mount (ultra-gauge.com)

PT Cruiser custom mount (ultra-gauge.com)
Thank you! Will follow the links. Have a great Evening and Weekend.

Are you building a Neutron Bomb for the Ukrainian Army this weekend?