Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Battery in my new car is not OEM!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 12:55 PM
Default Battery in my new car is not OEM!!

To the point, my 2019 cx5 would not start. Jumped it and drove directly to Mazda dealer as battery still under warranty. I was flabbergasted to say the least when I was told the battery is NOT the original Mazda battery so warranty is void! I have 15300 miles and I solemnly swear I have never touched/changed the battery! They said they could change it and it would cost 200$ for a battery. I declined. I purchased a new battery and replaced myself as I need to get to work. They charged me $50 to tell me this. I called the dealer and was told to call Mazda Corp customer service. They tell me they will give me a credit for 200 to use at next Mazda service( nope, not gonna happen). I asked to have this escalated because I want my money reimbursed bc 1) The battery should have been replaced for free via the warranty and 2) What in the world was a non OEM battery doing in my car that I purchased new off the lot??? Waiting to hear back from Mazda. Anyone else have this issue or any suggestions!?

Old 12-08-2021, 02:03 PM

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I will be surprised if you get a refund. I would take the credit.
I am sure what happened is the dealership (if it was not a traded new between dealers) was pulled to use in a l WARRANTY issue with another MAZDA vehicle? And the dealership may have simply replaced it with a none OEM unit? Just guessing. It is not a common thing but it does happen.
While it is also not a common practice it does happen, that your MAZDA may have had a dead battery before you purchased it. The lot manager may have had the service department replace the battery but again may have been out of your model battery and substituted it. Now in the perfect world when this happens the battery replaced will have the documentation forwarded specifically having to do with the battery and warranty to the new buyer. IN A PERFECT WORLD!

Good Luck

Last edited by Callisto; 12-08-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:28 PM

What a bizarre issue. I assume this is the same dealer you purchased the car from who refused the replacement? If not have you contacted the selling dealer to ask what could have happened?

Old 12-14-2021, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
What a bizarre issue. I assume this is the same dealer you purchased the car from who refused the replacement? If not have you contacted the selling dealer to ask what could have happened?
I am sure you read my response and no its not a "bizarre" issue. LOL You know how many things come up supposed to be included with a new vehicle and later found that they were not. Examples of a couple off the top of my head like the owner's manual pack, how about a complete engine cover. We see items all the time missing from new vehicle deliveries. This is simply another observation based on being in the business so many years are not "bizarre" But it is a good point that I hope the OP contacted the original dealer the MAZDA was purchased from. BTW the dealership did not refuse to replace it only that they would not credit or replace it with a OE Battery for free.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-14-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:20 PM

Well to be fair they did refuse to replace it - gratis (i.e. under warranty) - as it should be with a 2019 with 15,300 miles on the clock. The OP shouldn't be paying a dime for a new battery. By bizarre, I mean the dealer saying a battery on a 2019 car isn't the factory battery when the OP bought the car as new. If he hasn't replaced the battery how would it possibly not have an OEM battery which would be covered by the 3yr/36k warranty? Just had my FIL's 2020 Nissan NV200 at the dealer as the battery was dead a few days ago for no apparent reason and wouldn't fully charge with my battery charger. They checked the battery and replaced it with a new one. No charge. This was not the dealer he purchased the truck from either.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Well to be fair they did refuse to replace it - gratis (i.e. under warranty) - as it should be with a 2019 with 15,300 miles on the clock. The OP shouldn't be paying a dime for a new battery. By bizarre, I mean the dealer saying a battery on a 2019 car isn't the factory battery when the OP bought the car as new. If he hasn't replaced the battery how would it possibly not have an OEM battery which would be covered by the 3yr/36k warranty? Just had my FIL's 2020 Nissan NV200 at the dealer as the battery was dead a few days ago for no apparent reason and wouldn't fully charge with my battery charger. They checked the battery and replaced it with a new one. No charge. This was not the dealer he purchased the truck from either.
No they dealership did not REFUSE to change the battery they simply stated they could not warranty a non-OEM Battery! Lot different from "REFUSING" to do a service! There is no prof one way or the other about the origin of the battery in the car? And now you are comparing another auto manufacture warranty and case having to do with a battery as if it applies universally? Unlike many always seem to believe or think on forums every case is different regarding warranties. They are delt with case by case. They are not so cut and dry as car owners seem to think they are. Go read the fine print! I don't think you will find the words "will warranty no questions and no denial ever!" lol

Old 12-19-2021, 09:26 AM

Did you get a Delivery Checklist with your paperwork? Each time I have purchased a new vehicle, there was always a checklist in the glove compartment documenting the service technician’s inspection of the car. Included was a battery check. Also as stated above, entirely possible battery died if it sat on the lot too long before being sold. Why they would replace it with a non OEM battery is bizarre as is them refusing to replace the battery under the new car warranty. They should ask themselves, “why would a customer of a car still under warranty have purchased a battery for the car then bring the car in due to that battery being dead?”.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:26 AM

Not saying that anyone did but the word is "scam". As for the check list that is almost the same a standard USPS tracking indicating a package was delivered. Its not a guarantee that the work was actually done. And yes, I even covered (by direct experience working at a dealership) the "LOT" mishap that does happen often. Oh, and many dealers carry NONE oem batteries for sale in the parts department. (We offered OEM interstate and Optima at the dealership I worked for) Something that the OP should look into? Is the battery in the OP's MAZDA one of those offered (if offered) in the parts department? Lastly, they did not REFUSE to change a battery only to warranty a none oem battery that no one can say at any point so far that it was definitively changed before the time of original purchase.

Sorry but as I have to believe that the OP did get a non-OEM however there is NOTHING yet that points to any wrongdoing or a side-stepped warranty procedure from the Dealership. And I still will be very surprised if gong around the dealership on this issue MAZDA directly will do anything about this.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
No they dealership did not REFUSE to change the battery they simply stated they could not warranty a non-OEM Battery! Lot different from "REFUSING" to do a service! There is no prof one way or the other about the origin of the battery in the car? And now you are comparing another auto manufacture warranty and case having to do with a battery as if it applies universally? Unlike many always seem to believe or think on forums every case is different regarding warranties. They are delt with case by case. They are not so cut and dry as car owners seem to think they are. Go read the fine print! I don't think you will find the words "will warranty no questions and no denial ever!" lol
Lol is right. Again, they did refuse to replace the battery for free as they should so yes, they did refuse... They offered to replace it IF the OP would pay $200 for a new battery which is patently ridiculous. A warranty is a warranty so long as the OP hasn't done anything to void it. When exactly did they replace the OEM battery on a 2019 car the OP purchased new? I think the OP would know if the battery was replaced from the time they bought the car NEW 15,300 miles ago. Not getting your argument my man (or are you suggesting the OP swapped the battery at some point and now is complaining it went bad as well - which makes no sense at all as he went to the dealer this time - which I am sure is the first time they had an issue with the battery). This is as "cut and dry" as you can get. He has a 2019 car which is still under the OEM 3yr/36k warranty. The battery should be replaced with no questions asked if it has gone bad.

Last edited by chickdr19; 12-21-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:01 AM

If that happened to me, I would’ve gone to the sales associate or sales manager and made them aware of what happened. If they couldn’t make it right, then they would have permanently lost a customer.

Quick Reply: Battery in my new car is not OEM!!