Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Best Tires for CX 5

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
T
According to TireRack customers, their average ratings are:

Wet Performance -- 9.0 - Excellent
Dry Performance -- 9.1 - Excellent
Winter/Snow Performance -- 8.0 - Good
Comfort Performance -- 9.0 - Excellent
Treadwear Performance -- 8.9 - Excellent

Name:  conpt7_ang_l.jpg
Views: 5268
Size:  43.1 KB
While I do like these tires ,customer rating for tires "SUCK". Most people don't have a wide range of experience comparing several brands and models and often are often comparing to their replacement tires that are worn out. So naturally a new tire is going to give you great impressions. In the example of this tire and again
I repeat I like brand however the rating is NOT RELISTIC! Anyone that has experience on a track or has taken performance driving classes can tell you.
The op has not returned to answer my comment so how does any one really know how to recommend without a little more questions answered from the OP in the first place?

Old 11-12-2021, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
The op has not returned to answer my comment so how does any one really know how to recommend without a little more questions answered from the OP in the first place?
Don't you just love it? Join the forum, ask for recommendations and forget to reply......

Old 11-12-2021, 11:51 PM

While I do like these tires ,customer rating for tires "SUCK". Most people don't have a wide range of experience comparing several brands and models and often are often comparing to their replacement tires that are worn out ... place?
Yeah, they're not my first (or even my second tire I'd personally consider for my own car). But then, my goals are different than the OP's. The OP's apparently looking for "general purpose tire with longevity" as the primary goal; some highway, some city, no snow or off-road; "good" handling, comfortable ride, little road noise.

A solid 800AA tire with a "high-efficiency" thread pattern ought to do nicely.

But, indeed, it'll never be considered a great-handling tire, nor anything like "grippy." Ain't bad, for what it is. Probably a good match for the OP's primary goals. Unless more grip were desired. Unless crisper handling were desired. (Still, we are speaking of the CX-5. If it were an Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio with the ceramic brakes ...

Old 11-13-2021, 02:44 PM

Yeah, they're not my first (or even my second tire I'd personally consider for my own car). But then, my goals are different than the OP's. The OP's apparently looking for "general purpose tire with longevity" as the primary goal; some highway, some city, no snow or off-road; "good" handling, comfortable ride, little road noise.

A solid 800AA tire with a "high-efficiency" thread pattern ought to do nicely.

But, indeed, it'll never be considered a great-handling tire, nor anything like "grippy." Ain't bad, for what it is. Probably a good match for the OP's primary goals. Unless more grip were desired. Unless crisper handling were desired. (Still, we are speaking of the CX-5. If it were an Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio with the ceramic brakes ...
Everything you posted would suggest to learn to first drive the vehicle better.
Tires for the most part are retailing selling hype because the highest percentage of drivers DON"T know how to drive there vehicles except in moderate conditions. A trip to a track on the weekend for street guys testing there talents on a road track can show just how accurate my statement is. Just because you have been driving for decades does not mean you can drive a car to the tires ability. But you can read the reviews and tire specification and THINK you need all those high scoring numbers. LOL

Selling tires one of the first things I always did was to look at what the customer already had for tires and how the tires were wearing. Then glance at the overall condition of the car like mileage and suspension. This also means people that have items dangling from the rear view mirror. LOL You can also see the wear or dirt pattern on the steering wheel that directs how attentive to driving they are and if the rubber brake pedal cover had unusual wear pattern. All this gives on a clue for a recommendation what may be a good replacement tire. Naturally asking key questions like the main environment the vehicle will be operated in is important. But in the real world.... your cant really get what he is asking for, there are measurable performance limits which include comfort and mileage except in advertising from tire manufactures! LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 11-13-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:51 PM

Everything you posted would suggest to learn to first drive the vehicle better.
Tires for the most part are retailing selling hype because the highest percentage of drivers DON"T know how to drive there vehicles except in moderate conditions. A trip to a track on the weekend for street guys testing there talents on a road track can show ...
Then again, that can be said of anybody.

It is surprising how much grip can actually be squeezed out of a car+tire when the driving's done properly.

Spent years doing autox and dozens of (non-competitive) track days, along with living in a region with exceptionally dangerous and difficult roadways ... expressly to test the limits of my street tires and street-tuned car. Had a few minor suspension tweaks (somewhat stiffer anti-sway bars/bushings and adjustable shocks), along with capable tires, but otherwise it was what anyone could acquire down at the dealership. Needed to know I could keep it on the road even with crappy weather, freezing conditions, critters or rocks (sometimes both) suddenly appearing in the road, etc.

Got fairly quick, after all of that exploration of the limits. But was always safe in all conditions, largely due to having examined what it took to ensure balance and grip was maximized through effective driving, effective line, smooth transitions, non-jerky inputs, driving within the abilities of the tires, etc. Funny, how fast that safe driving can be, when you've tested it thoroughly and you know for certain.

Amazing what one can learn while doing an autox or driving a nasty mountain road in squall conditions, or freezing conditions. Amazing what one can learn when exploring the limits of off-camber, severe elevation changes and whatnot, as only a well-designed track can safely provide. A little scary, such initial exploration. But invaluable for what it teaches.

I blame my 20s for all of that. Spent an inordinate amount of time flogging the back roads in all conditions, years of it. Learned much about what a vehicle can and cannot do, what tires can and cannot do. Put that knowledge to the test at a half dozen different tracks, instructor-led (in the "jump" seat) on many of them.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:59 PM

Then again, that can be said of anybody.
Not really. It implies self learning and if you ever raced professionally that is a rare talent.
I raced professionally for years did well, very well and did even better when I took driving lessons .

Unfortunately your response is exactly what I said , many think they are born knowing all about cars and how to drive. But the reality is those are MHO some of the worst drivers on the road

Old 11-14-2021, 02:25 AM

Unfortunately your response is exactly what I said , many think they are born knowing all about cars and how to drive. But the reality is those are MHO some of the worst drivers on the road
Many do. I do not.

But I recognize how training and lots of practice of the key principles from good training can help improve one's outcomes. Never have done wheel-to-wheel racing, myself. Never will. But several of the trainers I've had are people who'd done a number of years of it, at various levels. Doesn't mean to say their knowledge and feedback was the end-all, be-all. Not hardly. But it helped.

As you say, the reality is many people imagine they know what they don't, have skills where they don't, and think mere time in the saddle equates to quality of skills.

Last edited by GAsierra; 11-14-2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:15 AM

Many do. I do not.

But I recognize how training and lots of practice of the key principles from good training can help improve one's outcomes. Never have done wheel-to-wheel racing, myself. Never will. But several of the trainers I've had are people who'd done a number of years of it, at various levels. Doesn't mean to say their knowledge and feedback was the end-all, be-all. Not hardly. But it helped.

As you say, the reality is many people imagine they know what they don't, have skills where they don't, and think mere time in the saddle equates to quality of skills.
Your restraint in answering that post was remarkable my friend....

Old 11-14-2021, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Your restraint in answering that post was remarkable my friend....
To bad you response is not "restrained" ! lol

as for my response there are a few members on this forum that understand what I said and nothing was not factual or inaccurate or can not be verified with a little research.
Plain and simple tire manufactures are there to sell tires they do this primarily by advertising. Most people DO NOT HAVE a wide range of testing tires to really be informed for strong supported reviews. Look at you how many tires have you tried on one vehicle in one season in say a weeks time. LOL Most tire shops will not let you install and try out tires. So this mean that most will have to go by what they read and not what they can test. So tire reviews are highly biased and limited. Even companies that test a verity of tires and use a few test drivers does not cover ALL the tires on the market. Tire Rack does a pretty good job but even with that there highest sales are internet and they can't see the vehicle and really talk one on one to a customer. And even after you talk to them the chances are they may use a tire they recommend but not likely the same vehicle as yours. So there you go!

Bottom line chick if you did not dislike me as a member your would be righty behind me and telling members on many threads to at least think about my responses. LOL But instead you post your usual banter directed at me . LOL But its your way and few of us understand.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-14-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:40 PM

To bad you response is not "restrained" ! lol

as for my response there are a few members on this forum that understand what I said and nothing was not factual or inaccurate or can not be verified with a little research.
Plain and simple tire manufactures are there to sell tires they do this primarily by advertising. Most people DO NOT HAVE a wide range of testing tires to really be informed for strong supported reviews. Look at you how many tires have you tried on one vehicle in one season in say a weeks time. LOL Most tire shops will not let you install and try out tires. So this mean that most will have to go by what they read and not what they can test. So tire reviews are highly biased and limited. Even companies that test a verity of tires and use a few test drivers does not cover ALL the tires on the market. Tire Rack does a pretty good job but even with that there highest sales are internet and they can't see the vehicle and really talk one on one to a customer. And even after you talk to them the chances are they may use a tire they recommend but not likely the same vehicle as yours. So there you go!

Bottom line chick if you did not dislike me as a member your would be righty behind me and telling members on many threads to at least think about my responses. LOL But instead you post your usual banter directed at me . LOL But its your way and few of us understand.
First, my post was not addressed to you so not sure why you feel the need to respond to it. You don't seem to be expert in the English language based on the wording/grammar in your posts so I assume you speak another language primarily? As such you don't seem to comprehend the meaning of the word "restraint"...

As you obviously wanted to draw me into your conversation I will bite.

I do not "dislike you as a member" much to the contrary I think you have a lot of valuable information to share. In fact I recall at least one thread where we agreed on a topic. The issue I have with you is your delivery and contempt displayed to other members of the forum (over and over and over again). What you fail to understand is others also have valuable information to share. You are not the one and only valuable contributor. You are obviously a legend in your own mind and it's good to be confident in oneself (you certainly like to pat yourself on the back and spout off your myriad of qualifications for any possible topic on the forum), but as an example, GAsierra gave a lengthy explanation of his qualifications to make a recommendation on tires. He was not cocky in any way and did not challenge you, but your response to his post was "Unfortunately your response is exactly what I said , many think they are born knowing all about cars and how to drive. But the reality is those are MHO some of the worst drivers on the road". He never said this in his post and I don't know why you would say he did...

If you can't see how rude/derogatory this was, I really can't see a way to help you out....

Quick Reply: Best Tires for CX 5