Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Blind spot malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 10:35 PM
Default Blind spot malfunction

I recently bought a CPO CX-5 Signature and on 2 occasions I have gotten this warning on my dash. The next time I start the vehicle the warning is gone. I am driving down the highway with no other car near me. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what is the remedy?

Old 07-06-2023, 07:03 AM

Happens to me all the time. I think it has to do with the angle of the sun. If the sun is lower in the sky and pointing directly at the side of the car, this happens. At least that's my theory.

Old 07-08-2023, 08:41 AM

And errant bug or the like (that falls off later) can do this as well.

Old 04-13-2024, 12:10 PM
Default BSM Blocked

Originally Posted by dano

I recently bought a CPO CX-5 Signature and on 2 occasions I have gotten this warning on my dash. The next time I start the vehicle the warning is gone. I am driving down the highway with no other car near me. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what is the remedy?
I have been having the same reoccurring issue with my CX-5. Mine has been both the front camera sensor and the rear bumper Blind Spot Monitoring System.

The rear BSM is not a camera it goes off frequencies so it cannot simply get blocked. I have had the vehicle in for the issue over 5 times and they are unable to duplicate the issue while at the factory dealership. I have photo proof starting 3 days after the purchase of my vehicle that literally had 2 miles on it.

They cannot repair because they do not know what the issue is. 🙄 I am currently filing the Lemon Law.

Old 04-13-2024, 02:39 PM

There are a multitude of reasons for getting this error message.
And yes, the sensor can get blocked.
I would contact Mazda corporate before initiating a Lemon Law filing.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:59 AM

I have contacted Mazda Corporate. We have done everything asked of us. I should not have to be afraid to drive my vehicle. It has been almost every time I drove my vehicle since January of 2023. And still they cannot fix or know what the issue is. I have over 40 pictures of this happening and that's not every instance as sometimes I cannot safely take a picture.

Old 04-14-2024, 11:09 AM

Issues with a product not performing as required and not getting it fixed is one thing but feeling unsafe is another.
I'm all for getting warranty work performed as required.
However, I'm a senior driver who never had blind spot sensors on a vehicle until I purchased my CX-5.
It is my opinion any driver who feels they need to rely on safety features of their vehicles to feel safe is not a good driver.
You need to be self-aware in your vehicle and your surroundings.
The majority of these "safety" features are only there to warn/assist those drivers who are not paying attention.
If you are a cautious driver there should no reason for you to feel unsafe to drive your vehicle with blocked blind spot monitoring.
My safety features are blocked/or don't function nearly every time we have snow, frost, dew or fog here, but I still drive the vehicle.

Last edited by Lobstah; 04-15-2024 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Issues with a product not performing as required and not getting it fixed is one thing but feeling unsafe is another.
I'm all for getting warranty work performed as required.
However, I'm a senior driver who never had blind spot sensors on a vehicle until I purchased my CX-5.
It is my opinion any driver who feels they need to rely on safety features of their vehicles to feel safe is not a good driver.
You need to be self-aware in your vehicle and your surroundings.
The majority of these "safety" features are only there to warn/assist those drivers who are not paying attention.
If you are a cautious driver there should no reason for you to feel unsafe to drive your vehicle with blocked blind spot monitoring.
My safety features are blocked/or don't function nearly every time we have snow, frost, dew or fog here, but I still drive the vehicle.

It isn't that I feel unsafe because I do not have the sensors. It is because this has not been the only issue. I have already had to replace both LED headlights, there was an airbag issue, and seatbelt tensioner issue. All this before it was even 6 months old. I am scared to drive my vehicle because I feel there is a major wiring or computer issue and do not know what can happen at anytime. Will it be my brakes to fail next, or maybe my lane assist will throw me into another lane while acting crazy? I do not rely on the sensors. I am not an uneducated driver. I have been driving since I was 14 yrs old, I am 42 now. I am afraid of my vehicle because they do not know what's wrong with it and therefor cannot guarantee that this issue will not cause a catastrophic error ending in a fatality!

Old 04-15-2024, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Aliceson24!
It isn't that I feel unsafe because I do not have the sensors. It is because this has not been the only issue. I have already had to replace both LED headlights, there was an airbag issue, and seatbelt tensioner issue. All this before it was even 6 months old. I am scared to drive my vehicle because I feel there is a major wiring or computer issue and do not know what can happen at anytime. Will it be my brakes to fail next, or maybe my lane assist will throw me into another lane while acting crazy? I do not rely on the sensors. I am not an uneducated driver. I have been driving since I was 14 yrs old, I am 42 now. I am afraid of my vehicle because they do not know what's wrong with it and therefor cannot guarantee that this issue will not cause a catastrophic error ending in a fatality!
You mentioned none of these other items until now.
Do you have those issues documented?
The law of Total Probability means if you indeed have this many issues, at least some of them would be easily demonstratable to the dealership or anyone.
Yet the dealer cannot find an issue (have you tried other Mazda dealers as the Mazda warranty is good at all of them).
I wish you luck with your lemon law filing, as you most certainly are going to heavily rely on that alone.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
You mentioned none of these other items until now.
Do you have those issues documented?
The law of Total Probability means if you indeed have this many issues, at least some of them would be easily demonstratable to the dealership or anyone.
Yet the dealer cannot find an issue (have you tried other Mazda dealers as the Mazda warranty is good at all of them).
I wish you luck with your lemon law filing, as you are most certainly are going to heavily rely on that alone.
Yes, all issues are documented along with what they have been able to fix. I tried taking it to another dealership which isn't an easy thing to do because I live 60 mils from the closest dealership. However, because no codes show (except the headlights, the airbag, and tensioner) they cannot accurately diagnose the problem. It did show up in the app briefly once in December, but did not throw a code only showed the warning light came on.

they tell me its likely that its because of dirt or some other problem that I'm causing. However, I have proof of when it happens there is nothing on or near the car, that it happens sunshine or Grey days, at different hours, different times, and different conditions. The Service departments tell me there is nothing else they can do. They have even pulled my bumper off to check if the sensor has been jarred out of place. They cannot find any reason foe the issue to continue to happen. Basically they are done with me complaining about it.

Quick Reply: Blind spot malfunction