Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Blown Head Gasket on 2014 CX5 Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 10:35 PM
JCT
Angry Blown Head Gasket on 2014 CX5 Grand Touring

Hi all - I had the car (@93K miles) towed to a Mazda dealer over the weekend for them to diagnose why the red check engine light started blink and accompanying "coolant temp is too high" message come on the dashboard. Today, they called me back saying that they pressure tested the coolant system and saw that while the pressure instantly dropped while the oil level was rising. Their determination is that the engine gasket must have a crack or separation and fixing it means replacing the engine (which would cost more than $5K). I certainly do not understand how this could have happened on a well maintained car, especially with no prior warning (we had oil changes on a regular basis and the current coolant level is where it needs to be). I am wondering if
  1. the dealer's determination based on the above is correct?
  2. there is a way to detect whether this happened due to faulty materials or not.
I'd appreciate any advice on how to proceed based on similar previous experiences.

Note: Is there a link between error code P0011a and this issue? What I read online is that there is a TSB about P0011a that suggests that in certain VINs the PCM software update is needed (my car's VIN numbers is within the range of those mentioned in this TSB). In another article I read that Mazda issued a recall and reflashed PCMs on certain CX5s to reduce top-end power and lower stress on the engine.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:10 PM

To start with you never posted the "before" information how the car quite or acted before you decided to have it sent off to get checked?

Not sure why the Dealership concluded a complete engine replacement instead of R&R the head?
I would need to see the write up from the service technician (not the service writer) on exactly what they did for testing?

No one will be able to really know until the head is pulled and examined what the real cause or complete extent of the damage is.

At 93k miles there is no prematurely failing parts.

The ECU and TSB information was really does not read the cause of a cataclysmic engine failure at least without some other DTCs possible regarding the engine coolant?. And I am really reaching for possibility but it seems highly unlikely.

I do recommend if they update their assessment on the repair service to only R&R the head that you will have the head *checked by a machine shop ,pressure tested, surfaced and possibly just have a valve job done and not just a head gasket replaced @ 93K miles?

Last edited by Callisto; 03-09-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:43 PM

you asked if there was a way to determine how it happened.. materials and so on .. does it really matter? Mazda is not going to cover a car that is 6 years / 100,000 miles old.. so even if you found the engine was forged out of JB WELD, it doesnt matter why it happened.. does it ? what matters is, what are you going to do about it now...... also the money you would have to spend to PROVE how or why this happened, could have been used to get the car back on the road again .. even if your engine cracked in half and fell on to the street, it wouldnt matter.. its out of warranty .. and mazda will Not do anything about a car this out and this far out of warranty .. (if thats what you were hoping would happen by finding out why this happened) ...

Old 03-19-2020, 08:19 AM

With that many miles on the vehicle, here's what I would do. Dealers tend to charge more. Get a recommendation for a good local independent garage. See if they see anything that warrants engine replacement. I figure they will pull the head to check things out. At that point a valve job and head machining would be a great idea. A second opinion, in other words. As others have said, you can't expect a warranty claim after this many miles. Getting the radiator flushed could be a good idea, the shop can do a flow test to see if it needs that. Once again, I'm only saying what I would do. Also you can get a used engine and have the independent garage install it. I have had good luck going that route in the past and it will much less than $5k.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:29 PM

Diesel?

Old 03-19-2020, 02:18 PM

Definitely sounds like a diesel even if op didn't mention which engine he had.

The PCM update to reduce power and lower engine temps is yet unproven. I've read from CX-5 groups in Taiwan that they still experience "coolant bursts" even after this update.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by goldcrow
Definitely sounds like a diesel even if op didn't mention which engine he had.

The PCM update to reduce power and lower engine temps is yet unproven. I've read from CX-5 groups in Taiwan that they still experience "coolant bursts" even after this update.
I hadn't considered a diesel, since I live in the States we don't have any of that vintage around.