Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 07:03 AM
Default Brake Issues

I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 grand touring. It has 54,000 miles on it. Just had all the brakes replaced on it. Husband thought this was way too soon to need brakes all around. They were done in December and now the car shakes violently when braking at high speeds. Something is wrong. I have read a lot of complaints about brakes on these vehicles. Looking for some advice and others experiences with brakes.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mybubbles65
I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 grand touring. It has 54,000 miles on it. Just had all the brakes replaced on it. Husband thought this was way too soon to need brakes all around. They were done in December and now the car shakes violently when braking at high speeds. Something is wrong. I have read a lot of complaints about brakes on these vehicles. Looking for some advice and others experiences with brakes.
Hmmm, 54,000 miles on a set of brakes is pretty darn good. If the vibration issues started with the brake job done in December, then either you didn't properly bed in the new brakes, or whoever did the work did a crappy job.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:37 PM

I replaced the front brakes on my 2014 GT at 40k miles and the rears at 45k.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:04 PM

Did they replace only the brake pads or did they also replace the brake rotors? The rotors might warp causing the vibration you described.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:09 PM

FIRST AND FOREMOST...TAKE YOUR CAR TO A SHOP AND HAVE THE BRAKES AND BRAKING SYSTEM and all drive train suspension parts INSPECTED!

The wear and service life of brake pads and rotors is directly influenced by a drivers braking habits. Then consider the type of pads and rotors you desided to have installed and what other parts were also installed at that time.

Bedding in BRAKE PADS is important but if the pads were going to have problems it would be within the first 100 to 500 miles of ther normal service use if they were not properly bedded in ( aka break-in or conditioning ) in . This does not sound like the case from the description in the first responses. I might add many shops like ours will do this for the customer which is part of that brake service work before the customer picks their vehicle up. This also allows the Technician to recheck all the work performed.

High speed hard braking can effect many parts negatively not always brake part related like worn suspension or steering parts combined together can cause all kinds of shake ,rattle and rolls...so to say. This is also an indicator that you should not get advise on what it is from the internet but go to a shop and have your car inspected.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Did they replace only the brake pads or did they also replace the brake rotors? The rotors might warp causing the vibration you described.
Warped rotors would be my guess. They either need to be turned, or replaced. It seems newer rotors more often need to be replaced, not as much "meat" on them as older ones.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:51 AM

Never "guess" when it comes to BRAKES. Your life as well other on the road could be effected by not keeping your brake system at its optimum functioning capacity.

The rotor specifications are at least for aftermarket what OE are.
Causes of a warped rotor are for the most part , the end user then improper installation and last manufacturing quality control.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:30 AM
Default How do I fix the brake issue

My CX5 2018 grand touring with 46,000 kilometers just got its rear pads replaced as the exterior pad was had around 20% life while the internal had around 60%, when I was driving it back home the car felt like it would be braking on an open road and smelled like if something was burning... now I'm really concerned as it looks like the guys at Mazda dealer have no idea on what to do.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:00 AM

December of this year or last?

Old 12-05-2021, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rohirrim 25
My CX5 2018 grand touring with 46,000 kilometers just got its rear pads replaced as the exterior pad was had around 20% life while the internal had around 60%, when I was driving it back home the car felt like it would be braking on an open road and smelled like if something was burning... now I'm really concerned as it looks like the guys at Mazda dealer have no idea on what to do.
Take it to a shop ASAP and have the brakes inspected.
It does not matter when they were installed regarding smells like described having to do with BRAKES!

Quick Reply: Brake Issues