Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mybubbles65
I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 grand touring. It has 54,000 miles on it. Just had all the brakes replaced on it. Husband thought this was way too soon to need brakes all around. They were done in December and now the car shakes violently when braking at high speeds. Something is wrong. I have read a lot of complaints about brakes on these vehicles. Looking for some advice and others experiences with brakes.
~50Kmi for brakes seems about right, for normal and customary driving. On a heavier car, with heavier use of the brake, that's probably an optimistic amount of time before replacement, depending.

Had a Miata, and I don't think I went much more than 35Kmo for new pads/rotors, across 150Kmi of driving. But kept it in "top" shape at all times, so probably replaced them a bit more frequently than absolutely necessary.

Had a Mazda3, and was moderately light on the brakes but still only got about 50Kmi out of them. Replaced them twice during the time I owned it.

Had a Honda Accord and did the brakes several times, normally every 40Kmi or a bit more. Was in a more-mountainous region, so that tended to put greater demands on brakes.

Have a CX-5 GT AWD, and it's by far the heaviest of the lot. Plus, when I purchased it (used), it already had some minor warping on the front rotors. Recently had the brakes done (@ ~90Kmi), and I'm all but certain this was the second swap of the brakes since new.

Certainly not everybody's experience, but somewhere between ~40-60Kmi seems about "right" from my perspective. Across a range of vehicles. Depending on usage, terrain and traffic, of course.

Can't say that I've heard "the CX-5's have a tendency to 'eat' brakes." I know of several people who have them, and none (that I can recall) have complained about frequent brake swaps.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:32 PM

Brakes cannot be compared to other platforms. If anyone has a problem, smell sounds etc., and they are not qualified to determine the cause they need to take it a shop and get it inspected.

I am a stickle on the subject of brake concern and questions and I to toss it up I engineer and develop aftermarket brake BBK s and other Performance brake relater parts for a few platforms.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:48 AM

Of course. Far too many variables from one car to the next, one driver+style to the next, one type of route/terrain/traffic to the next. It's hard enough attempting to compare one set of brakes to the next set of brakes, for the same vehicle, driver, routes, styles.

Was simply relating my own experience across a range of vehicles to show that ~50Kmi on brakes, generally speaking, isn't all that unexpected or strange. In my own case, it's me (the one driver of the vehicle), similar driving style, similar roads/routes covered, similar traffic patterns dealt with, similar terrain, roughly similar amounts of long, highway-heavy trips, and generally "dealership" rotors/pads. Everyone else's situation differs, obviously, as does each car maker's (dealer's) chosen rotors/pads. Then again, with all of that much the same, the physics of vehicles weighing roughly in the same category don't vary all that much from vehicle to vehicle, so it shouldn't be an amazement or viewed as lightning striking if a certain amount of miles (usage) results in a given amount of wear.

People can use anecdotes from others' experiences as they will. Or not. Isn't worth much, but this is a discussion forum and people can take some measure of comfort or awareness to help them appreciate their own situations and whether their own is "within reason."

Last edited by GAsierra; 12-06-2021 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spelling