Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Brakes At 70,000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 04:38 PM
Default Brakes At 70,000 Miles

My 2016 GT just turned 70,000 miles. I'm having new brakes installed all around today for the first time since new. Not bad in my book but I don't know what is common for these vehicles.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:41 PM

There really is no such thing as common wear miles for brakes on any vehicle. There are way to many variables the least is what the make and model for a daily driven car or SUV. The two most supported brake wear contributors is if the vehicle is primarily city or highway driving and the most predominate factor is drivers braking habits. I then would start the consideration of what type brake pads used and overall suspension and tire condition?etc., etc., etc,..

Last edited by Callisto; 06-16-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
There really is no such thing as common wear miles for brakes on any vehicle. There are way to many variables the least is what the make and model for a daily driven car or SUV. The two most supported brake wear contributors is if the vehicle is primarily city or highway driving and the most predominate factor is drivers braking habits. I then would start the consideration of what type brake pads used and overall suspension and tire condition?etc., etc., etc,..
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Common was the wrong word to use. The intent was basically wondering what others had experienced.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by MSTpdx
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Common was the wrong word to use. The intent was basically wondering what others had experienced.
Sorry but if it were that obvious ...... you know where I wanted to go with that?

This forum and other forums ..that answer you seek goes back to what I responded with. HA!

Recently on this forum someone was complaining about their brakes needing replacement in half the time as you and really wanted to blame MAZDA!?

Then other threads on this forum about a caliper going bad in less then you miles you achieved with your brake. And it is an achievement. lol

But when I read all the Q&As on those thread as I could start with this thread and yours I am sure once again it returns to what I said about life expediencies of brakes.

I guess it goes without saying when you work service shops or parts suppliers you see the REAL WORLD the life of brakes and yup... goes back to my first response!

Old 06-17-2020, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Ive seen the rear brakes wear out in less than 60,000 miles, and fronts usually last 70 -80,000 miles. All based on averages.

Ive seen a crazy driver wear their brakes out in 20,000 miles, i've seen other drives get almost 120,000 miles.

The front brakes in my car have done 70,000 miles and barely look half worn, but I'm a easy braker.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:13 AM

Grim--the rear brakes were down to the wear bar, the fronts still had some meat on the bone. I decided to just do them all while it was in the shop.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

What a mess you guys have made of this post.

99% of drivers rely purely on their mechanic/service center to inspect their vehicle on a regular basis to ensure safety. If the brake get low, they will recommend to you they get replaced.

Lets just leave it at that.

Don't make me lock this up.