Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Brakes Need Replaced at 11k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by CMX5
I've never leased a car but my understanding and, or, assumption is that consumers who lease usually do so for a 3 year period and once that is up they return the car to the dealership. If this is correct then is it an option for you to do the same ?
Hi! Yes-This is a 3 year lease. I have never had a Mazda so I wasn’t sure if I wanted to stick with it so I leased this vehicle.

When my lease is up, I take it back to the dealer.

That will be my last contact with this dealer, I can tell you that!!

Elle

Old 12-31-2021, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Elle
Hi! Yes-This is a 3 year lease. I have never had a Mazda so I wasn’t sure if I wanted to stick with it so I leased this vehicle.

When my lease is up, I take it back to the dealer.

That will be my last contact with this dealer, I can tell you that!!

Elle
On your current lease how much time remains ?
If you are able to return the car now without significant financial penalty, that would be my recommendation.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:49 PM

The first picture is suggesting you have no front brakes...caliper problem? who knows there is really not much to go on???? And it is an advisor NOTE not an actual comprehensive inspection. It appears all you had done was a mount and balance and as a curtesy they looked over some other areas of your MAZDA brakes being one of them.
The second picture is only an estimate for replacement of parts.

LOOK... I get customers in all the time with similar complaints like yours... maybe not on brakes but many other concerns of mechanical health having to do with their vehicles or problem unresolved. I ask and they give me the service write up from the other shops. It helps me to not only deal with the customers attitude but also try to give a better idea what exactly is going on with their vehicle. Naturally and foremost, it allows me to word thing differently and even include the customer in what I find and my ideas as to what may have really happened.
You ask for advice but you're not giving enough information to go on. Naturally a few on this forum are going to suggest escalating to MAZDA. LOL And others are going to say that it is unfair what is happening to you. And there is at least one member that will say I don't have the right to ask that you print the complete service inspection less your personal information. LOL
As for leased MAZDA you are contracted with and what you intend to do and you not patronizing that dealership that your personal decision. I read it all the time on different threads and forums with other vehicle platforms all the time when someone feels they are not handled in the best customer service "THEY" feel is appropriate for them personally?

At this point I would suggest find a reputable tire and service shop like Firestone in your area and get a "complete" comprehensive brake inspection performed. This will also be valuable if you do go to MAZDA direct because Firestone generally uses ASE Technician's to performs major brake service.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-31-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
The first picture is suggesting you have no front brakes...caliper problem? who knows there is really not much to go on???? Where is what they completely inspected and specifically found? The second is only an estimate for replacement of parts.
You ask for advice but you're not giving enough information to go on. Naturally a few on this forum are going to suggest escalating to MAZDA. LOL And others are going to say that it is unfair what is happening to you. And there is at least one member that will say I don't have the right to ask that you print the complete service inspection less your personal information. LOL
As for leased MAZDA you are contracted with and what you intend to do and you not patronizing that dealership that your personal decision. I read it all the time on different threads and forums with other vehicle platforms all the time when someone feels they are not handled ion the best customer service "THEY" feel is appropriate for them personally?

At this point I would suggest find a reputable tire and service shop like Firestone in your area and get a "complete" comprehensive brake inspection performed. This will also be valuable if you do go to MAZDA direct because Firestone generally uses ASE Technician's to performs major brake service.
I don’t have any more information. They did not give me a complete service inspection. The dealership sent me a video and I can’t post it so I sent a picture.

They also sent me an electronic quote. The picture from the independent garage is all I have.

I haven’t had the work done on the vehicle so I don’t have anything other than what I showed sans full video.

I posted this to see if others have had this problem as well.

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2021, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by CMX5
On your current lease how much time remains ?
If you are able to return the car now without significant financial penalty, that would be my recommendation.
Hi! I actually turn the lease into the dealership July 2022.

Unfortunately, despite the dealer saying it must have sat for very long periods, that isn’t true and I do need a vehicle of my own.

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2022, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Elle
I haven’t had done any work done yet. I am posting what the Mazda dealer sent me for the estimate. I don’t have a paper copy. It was all electronic.

I wish I could share the video but the format is compatible.

I also posted a pic of what the independent garage said was wrong.

The vehicle doesn’t sit in water or heavy snow. It’s in the driveway with the others and just this vehicle is an issue.

I am shocked to have had this happen! I’m more shocked at the stupidity of their answer to “drive it
more”. The Service Manager DID acknowledge that had it been looked at when I first said the brakes sounded funny, I wouldn’t be in this situation but they still were going to charge me.

Hope these pics help!

Thank you!

Based on your pic and the write up from the independent shop above, I'd say that the slider pins were seized up from lack of proper lubrication. This caused the lack of contact between the rotors and the pads. What do the rotors look like?

Your screen shot from the dealer is showing that they are trying to rip you off! The quote appears to be ONLY for brake pad replacements, front and rear, and says NOTHING about the calipers, or any of the other brake components that need attention.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
Based on your pic and the write up from the independent shop above, I'd say that the slider pins were seized up from lack of proper lubrication. This caused the lack of contact between the rotors and the pads. What do the rotors look like?

Your screen shot from the dealer is showing that they are trying to rip you off! The quote appears to be ONLY for brake pad replacements, front and rear, and says NOTHING about the calipers, or any of the other brake components that need attention.
Yup.... maybe one of many things that have been exposed to moisture or chemicals causing the issue? That single picture does not give anywhere enough information.
How is that dealer in any way "ripping off" the op with an estimate quote for a labor and job. The quote is exactly what that service they offer is and Iam sure anyone calling them would get EXACTLY the same estimate to e same service.

Detailed MAZDA warranty information....

Maybe there is more to this story because at this point the OP has an issue and neither the dealer or the independent shop seems to have given much information to really pass judgement on them or really resolving the OPs brake problem. This is one where you get the brakes repaired for safety reason and decide later what legal action may be needed. In this case the cost may only be a small claim filing to attempt to a reimbursement for brake repairs. And if the OP does, I would recommend resolution for the dispute, by arbitration, because of the small amount involved?

Below can be found in your detailed warranty pamphlet that was should have been signed by a MAZDA rep and given to the consumer at the time of the new vehicle delivery from MAZDA. Brakes are not specified anywhere but do fall under some categories more by what is NOT covered by MADZA warranty.
Detailed MAZDA warranty information....
GENERAL What Is Not Covered • Damage or corrosion due to accidents, misuse, or alterations. • Normal wear, tear, or deterioration. • Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, tree sap), stones, salt, road hazards.

7 years/70,000 miles Emission Defect Warranty Parts List
ABS unit (only)

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty period is 36 months or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.
What Is Not Covered:
• Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as: Acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, tree sap, etc), salt, road hazards,

Last edited by Callisto; 01-01-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:37 PM
Default Brake Fluid Level

One other little piece of info the OP could perhaps provide us with is the level of the brake fluid; a pic from the side of the resevoir showing how high the fluid level is would be best. Assuming that fluid has never been added that will give us an indication of how much (on average) the pads are worn. My 2021 CX-5 has 11,981 miles and the fluid is about 6mm below the MAX line.

Last edited by cadcamjim; 01-01-2022 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added pic & fluid level info
Old 01-01-2022, 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=cadcamjim;200698]One other little piece of info the OP could perhaps provide us with is the level of the brake fluid; a pic from the side of the resevoir showing how high the fluid level is would be best. Assuming that fluid has never been added that will give us an indication of how much (on average) the pads are worn. My 2021 CX-5 has 11,981 miles and the fluid is about 6mm below the MAX line. [/QUOTE]
Nice thought but the condition of the OP is well beyond brake fluid level.
I would be more concern with your brake fluid. That is IMO low for the miles? I would have your brakes checked and also do a brake fluid test.

The same system and at over 34,000 mile and definitely sport driving I am close to needing to flush the brake fluid and as for adding nothing worth even mentioning. I think as I remember doing a reservoir remove clean and replace fluid and it was not below the full mark? But I would actually need to look at my own thread on this forum to remembers about that. Yours showing that low and at the low a mile even it was not full during your purchase, or you are a bit more aggressive on the brakes?

ASE

The picture shows the condition of the brake fluid, and each checking the brake fluid revisor did not need topping off.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-01-2022 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cadcamjim
One other little piece of info the OP could perhaps provide us with is the level of the brake fluid; a pic from the side of the resevoir showing how high the fluid level is would be best. Assuming that fluid has never been added that will give us an indication of how much (on average) the pads are worn. My 2021 CX-5 has 11,981 miles and the fluid is about 6mm below the MAX line.
A good service centre/ Mechanic would check & top up all the fluids during a service.

Quick Reply: Brakes Need Replaced at 11k Miles