Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIVョ TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Buying advice on Used CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 09:25 AM
Default Buying advice on Used CX-5

Hello - I知 new to this forum and considering buying a used CX-5 for my teenager. We are looking at 2017-2018 CX-5 models so I知 looking for feedback and advice on what some of the maintenance/reliability issues might be and/or options to definitely avoid (related to maintenance or repair issues).

We have driven a few CX-5s and love the way they drive! But I just need to know that I知 getting a reliable car. I have never owned a Mazda before.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and advice!
-Jeff

Old 04-26-2020, 10:05 PM

The 2017 CX-5 model was the one which got the refresh and shares the same body as the current 2020 CX-5. We own a 2018 CX-5 and in the 2+ years, we had no maintenance/reliability issues. It's a great car from all aspects but my only gripe (and I am repeating myself on this forum all the time) is that the front seat bolsters are very hard and narrow which makes them very uncomfortable for me. It depends from person to person but I would take it for a really long test drive before buying so that you are sure they are comfortable. Otherwise from the technical and handling perspective, it's the best SUV out there. If there were an option to change the seats, I would do it but would not change anything else.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:57 AM

The seat problem appears to be a recurring problem with the CX5 and CX9. I am interested in both vehicles and hoping that Mazda engineers remedy to comfort problem with the 2021 and/or 2022 models. This appears to be one of the common problems experienced with the exception of limited cargo space. I like both vehicles.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jmarwill
Hello - I知 new to this forum and considering buying a used CX-5 for my teenager. We are looking at 2017-2018 CX-5 models so I知 looking for feedback and advice on what some of the maintenance/reliability issues might be and/or options to definitely avoid (related to maintenance or repair issues).

We have driven a few CX-5s and love the way they drive! But I just need to know that I知 getting a reliable car. I have never owned a Mazda before.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and advice!
-Jeff
I would recommend a 2017 model. 2018 models and up have cylinder deactivation (I think on every trim level) and Mazda had a recall on the system. Mazda isn't the only company that's had trouble with cylinder deactivation. Even Honda has had issues with vehicles with similar systems. Cadillac tried it in the early 80's (V8-6-4) with disastrous results and GM is still trying it.. even in their full size trucks. No auto manufacturer seems to be able to get it right without long term reliablity issues.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by edmondcx5
I would recommend a 2017 model. 2018 models and up have cylinder deactivation (I think on every trim level) and Mazda had a recall on the system. Mazda isn't the only company that's had trouble with cylinder deactivation. Even Honda has had issues with vehicles with similar systems. Cadillac tried it in the early 80's (V8-6-4) with disastrous results and GM is still trying it.. even in their full size trucks. No auto manufacturer seems to be able to get it right without long term reliablity issues.
Mazda addressed the cylinder deactivation issue with a (free-of-charge) recall. Our 2.5 year old 2018 CX-5 with cylinder deactivation had no issues so far and is very good with respect to mpg.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:06 AM

We had a 2015 CX5 Touring bought new and never had an issue with it. Unfortunately, at 68K miles a 16 year old crossed traffic in front of us and both cars were totaled. Fortunately, no bad injuries. We now have a 2016 CX5 GT. The car has 117K miles. Other than maintenance we haven't put a dime into it. It still runs, rides and handles well too. I've been very happy with Mazda.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:06 PM

Here are my 2 cents, we have a 2013 CX5 Touring with 81k (now) we bought it with 73k. Great car in my opinion. For a teenager a 2016+ is a bit too much (YMMV). Every parent is different, and if you have enough $ to pay cash and your kid is one of the kind well go for it. If you are going to get a 15k+ loan to be able to afford the car for a teenager, hey my advice get a cheap car for them to appreciate what they have. Going back to the CX5, Mazda are great car for a great price. We had a 04 Mazda 3 with 143k miles before the CX5, that got rear ended by a texting driver, thanks God everyone made it. So by brand you are on good hands. First thing that you should do check car complaints and check the year that you are most interested in, then check the problems that each year has and read the comments. We ended up going with a 2013 because we found a great deal and the problems I found didn't bother me too much. First thing I look into is "transmission issues", and this one didn't have none on the radar. We haven't had any issues so favor thanks God (I'm really hands on in all my cars).

Didn't know newest CX5 model had some kind of cylinder turn off system. My daily drive is a 08 Odyssey with VCM, VCM turn off cylinders depending on the demand, which is purely junk!, Ody with VCM have a know issue with ring cylinder failure, luckily there is a device that turn it off by almost 98%. So my opinion avoid any car with this, the 2013 that I know doesn't have that. Overall the Mazda CX5 is a great car, reliable, maintenance just oil change every 5k, I'll do transmission fluid drain and fill every 30k.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:10 AM

I have a 2016.5 Grand Touring that has just turned 80,000. I've only done normal maintenance, oil changes, etc. The brakes were replaced at 55,000 miles. It's been completely reliable.