Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cabin Leak - From Bad to Worse!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 04:06 PM
Unhappy Cabin Leak - From Bad to Worse!

Leak on passenger side pillar.

So I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 Mazda CX-5. All-in-all I've absolutely loved the car, however, recently I've been dealing with a cabin leak. Originally, I noticed that water seemed to be entering the cabin from the right (passenger-side) pillar. Upon noticing this, I took the car to the dealer (whom I recently had replace the windshield) and they said they would reseal the window.

After picking up the car, I felt like everything would be fine, however, after recently taking the car to get it washed I've noticed water seems to be entering again from the exact same spot as before. This time, I took the A-pillar trim off of the right side and poured water through the sunroof and along the windshield to see if I could pinpoint where the leak is happening. Nothing seemed to be a problem initially with the sunroof, however, when pouring water in around the top/sides of the windshield the leak seems to be WORSE now after taking the trim off.

As seen in the picture below, the water leak seems to now be coming in from overhead the middle console!

Overhead center console

Any thoughts on what could be causing these leaks? Is the windshield not sealed properly still?

I'm a little worried that it could be related to having put on a roof rack. I had used the torque wrench and I believe I torqued it properly but could it be possible that I punctured a hole in the roof and water is entering from one of the roof rack bolts?

Old 08-21-2021, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

100% windscreen. take it back & demand a new screen and a new roof lining.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:42 AM

Sorry to hear. Please keep us posted once it has been resolved.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:55 AM

Ditto, on the windshield. It's not completely sealed, at some point along the top edge.

Had a Honda Accord with much the same thing, years ago. Don't know whether the prior owner got into a little fender-bender sufficient to torque the glue apart, or what. But whenever it rained, a bit would seep into the headliner area, along the rails, and into the cabin.

Definitely have a shop verify the windshield sealing. I'd push to get it re-done.

Old 08-22-2021, 02:00 PM
BWJ

And the fact that they just smear extra glue while the window is mounted, it will never last, requires retrofitting the windshield.