Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CALLISTO- Air intakes, do any of them actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
if that is the picture of your CAI then you would be an example of why a CAI does not work as thought! Nice Camaro though!

Old 05-02-2023, 04:05 PM
Default What

Originally Posted by Callisto
if that is the picture of your CAI then you would be an example of why a CAI does not work as thought! Nice Camaro though!
WHAY YA TALKING ABOUT ,THAT DRAWS COOL AIR FROM THE FRONT GRILL I CUT AND INSTALLED A SCOOP. The box and tube are insulated and the heads are cnc ported, BTR STAGE 2 CAM KIT the throttle body is ported and it has 1 7/8 SW long tubes low restriction cats /3 inch mbrp duel exaust and a 91 octane tune with 468 rwhp ON A MUSTANG DYNO. She ran cool in the Arizona heat with no problem. And turned 11:75 on stock Goodyears .fuel trims, knock and IAT readings were near perfect. Would been even better with drag radials to hook up. And I wish i still had her. And 1.1 g and 19mpg if you took it easy . If the state of Arizona DMV , the insurance company, and the family would have cut me some slack ,i would still be enjoying her.

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 05-02-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:24 PM

WHAY YA TALKING ABOUT ,THAT DRAWS COOL AIR FROM THE FRONT GRILL I CUT AND INSTALLED A SCOOP. The box and tube are insulated and the heads are cnc ported, BTR STAGE 2 CAM KIT the throttle body is ported and it has 1 7/8 SW long tubes low restriction cats /3 inch mbrp duel exaust and a 91 octane tune with 468 rwhp ON A MUSTANG DYNO. She ran cool in the Arizona heat with no problem. And turned 11:75 on stock Goodyears .fuel trims, knock and IAT readings were near perfect. Would been even better with drag radials to hook up. And I wish i still had her. And 1.1 g and 19mpg if you took it easy . If the state of Arizona DMV , the insurance company, and the family would have cut me some slack ,i would still be enjoying her.
I did not say anything about the direction of the intake air charge.
Dont get snarky with me.. LOL
You did not engineer what you call and installed a CAI on your Camaro.
Please don't confuse my responses with other members . Also read what "I" said about CAI and some insight about fundamentally how they are or at least should be engineered.
You Camaro is very "KOOL" but regardless what you did unless you are ROAD RACING the stock intake filter system would have better for what you all are calling a CAI.
I have designed 2 functional and true cold air(ambient temp.) intakes and they are not like anything currently available on the market. One because of the cost of PAT for US only not outside the US it was to costly so it was never finally offered to the market. The other is only for me. I did give a little insight on what not to do and how to at least think about the term CAI and how the nae itself is just WRONG! lol
BTW unless you can change physics the intake charge can not be colder then the ambient air it get supplied with. Unless you can cool that charge below the ambient not only in the hose but in the intake manifold before it goes in the head.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-02-2023 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:38 AM
Default Never claimed to design it

I did not say anything about the direction of the intake air charge.
Dont get snarky with me.. LOL
You did not engineer what you call and installed a CAI on your Camaro.
Please don't confuse my responses with other members . Also read what "I" said about CAI and some insight about fundamentally how they are or at least should be engineered.
You Camaro is very "KOOL" but regardless what you did unless you are ROAD RACING the stock intake filter system would have better for what you all are calling a CAI.
I have designed 2 functional and true cold air(ambient temp.) intakes and they are not like anything currently available on the market. One because of the cost of PAT for US only not outside the US it was to costly so it was never finally offered to the market. The other is only for me. I did give a little insight on what not to do and how to at least think about the term CAI and how the nae itself is just WRONG! lol
BTW unless you can change physics the intake charge can not be colder then the ambient air it get supplied with. Unless you can cool that charge below the ambient not only in the hose but in the intake manifold before it goes in the head.
I NEVER CLAIMED TO DESIGN IT. What I did was look at what was available to get the job done. And in fact it worked great. And yes ambient air temperature ,is the issue to be addressed with any system. Other than a container filled with dry ice the air has to pass through ,you pretty much have to deal with the what ever the outside air temp is. Dodge uses the ac system to lower the intake charge . I did notice the car ran stronger in cooler weather.

Old 05-03-2023, 10:50 AM

placebo effect

Old 05-03-2023, 10:52 AM

This is what a CAI should be. 2002 RSX Type-S, Injen intake. Came with a smaller washer fluid bottle to fit the filter behind the bumper down low where the cool air is. Granted, on something like a CX-5 if you're taking off road or plan on driving through some deeper water, you risk hydrolocking your engine. Never had an issue in the 2 years I had the RSX though and with an ECU reflash made 20 whp, 15 without.

CALLISTO- Air intakes, do any of them actually work?-1-dcp01656.jpgCALLISTO- Air intakes, do any of them actually work?-2-dcp01657.jpg

Old 05-03-2023, 12:18 PM
Default placebo effect

placebo effect
That placebo effect resulted in a 2 tenths lower ET in the cooler temps of the winter here in Arizona at Wild Horse Pass motorsports park . Same tires, tune, 91 octane fuel, and old driver.

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 05-03-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:34 PM
Wink

That placebo effect resulted in a 2 tenths lower ET in the cooler temps of the winter here in Arizona at Wild Horse Pass motorsports park . Same tires, tune, 91 octane fuel, and old driver.
ROLMAO as a professional Drag Racer for over 40 years and running primarily S/G in NHRA your 2 tenths gain on what a single or give the benefit of doubt lets say 4 runs same day , hmmm maybe the rest of the day BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL ok not going to argue with you. You can claim on a forum all you want but CAI you installed did not do what you think. Please read carefully my responses about how a real CAI must function
The AC usage is one way to cure some of the inherent issues with so called CAI but those are even engineered by the auto manufactures are a tradeoff of between gains and taken by use of the AC for a cooler reducer in the intake system. Read the technical information about them. Or just look at the power reduction examples when any vehicle uses the AC.

MotoChooch that or those type are the absolute worst CAI. The manufactures have for years spread the thoughts to their customers and end users claiming gains but not really finding anyone that could duplicate them?
Also that is a fundamental example of some of the things I posted earlier why they cant work as claimed.

I often go on for days on forum trying to give better information about CAI but most members are stuck n the belief system and bran washed by things they read on the internet and not really controlled testing.
Case in point one item often seen and done when people get DYNO tested is a great big fan bowing on the engine. LOL
Read why and what happens and what changes regarding operating condition. Look at some of the aftermarket Junck installed in the intake systems, LOL
Hey I sell and often did sell the customer what they wanted. But made it clear don't expect t o get the results the manufacture claimed or what your friends or the internet claimed. It would not not be a warranty to return the part for a refund or exchange!
Hey I run something similar but it is TOTALY FOR LOOKS AND THE SOUND.... I have data logged the and even those that are better at reading monitors have seen that my intake I currently use does not work yet is the most commonly used and claim to work on the internet. LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 05-03-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:55 PM
Default Fact

ROLMAO as a professional Drag Racer for over 40 years and running primarily S/G in NHRA your 2 tenths gain on what a single or give the benefit of doubt lets say 4 runs same day , hmmm maybe the rest of the day BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL ok not going to argue with you. You can claim on a forum all you want but CAI you installed did not do what you think. Please read carefully my responses about how a real CAI must function
The AC usage is one way to cure some of the inherent issues with so called CAI but those are even engineered by the auto manufactures are a tradeoff of between gains and taken by use of the AC for a cooler reducer in the intake system. Read the technical information about them. Or just look at the power reduction examples when any vehicle uses the AC.

MotoChooch that or those type are the absolute worst CAI. The manufactures have for years spread the thoughts to their customers and end users claiming gains but not really finding anyone that could duplicate them?
Also that is a fundamental example of some of the things I posted earlier why they cant work as claimed.

I often go on for days on forum trying to give better information about CAI but most members are stuck n the belief system and bran washed by things they read on the internet and not really controlled testing.
Case in point one item often seen and done when people get DYNO tested is a great big fan bowing on the engine. LOL
Read why and what happens and what changes regarding operating condition. Look at some of the aftermarket Junck installed in the intake systems, LOL
Hey I sell and often did sell the customer what they wanted. But made it clear don't expect t o get the results the manufacture claimed or what your friends or the internet claimed. It would not not be a warranty to return the part for a refund or exchange!
Hey I run something similar but it is TOTALY FOR LOOKS AND THE SOUND.... I have data logged the and even those that are better at reading monitors have seen that my intake I currently use does not work yet is the most commonly used and claim to work on the internet. LOL
The fact here in Arizona where we have excess heat in the summer is, vehicles all do better in the winter. Anyone who lives and drives here will tell you that. My 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 hd 6.6 diesel is noticeably more powerful in the winter ,or if I go out of the valley and up to the cool counter . A properly designed sealed air box/CAI will have a cooler air intake charge and improve performance to some degree , even in a unmodified vehicle . More so in a modified vehicle . The stock airbox on the 2023 CX5 seams to be designed well and works well. I have noticed the CX5 feels stronger in the winter here Phoenix and it's not my imagination.

Old 05-03-2023, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MotoChooch
"down low where the cool air is".

Attachment 8817Attachment 8818
As a motorcycle rider for decades, I can assure you cool air is not down near the asphalt.
At just 70 degrees, asphalt can get over 125 and when it's 90 or above it can get over140 degrees.

Quick Reply: CALLISTO- Air intakes, do any of them actually work?