Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CALLISTO- Air intakes, do any of them actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
My response are about CAI in general or did you not read that? You only read what you want and what you think I make mistake posting about. LOL
If you look at the post of your's I replied to (it was quoted) it is clear you were only talking about the CX-5. This is why I said he agrees with you about the CX-5. You DID make a mistake if you intended to be referencing CAI's in general.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
My response are about CAI in general or did you not read that? You only read what you want and what you think I make mistake posting about. LOL

This is an example a quick look this morning travel @ between 25 and 40 mph after the engine attained "closed loop ECU adjustment operations.
Not the temperature in the IAT. If the CA was fictional the IAT would equal the ambient which is the incoming fresh air.
This experiment can be done on most any gas engine and vehicle comparing a factory air box to an aftermarket so called performance CAI.
On most Turbocharged and Supercharged engine the temperature's comparing are even farther apart when the boost of either is applied at slower vehicle velocities. Naturally as the vehicle velocity increase and the TB % is greater the difference eventually equal out. That only proves that RAM air will equal the ambient at higher vehicle speeds what ever the fresh air intake is used factory or a aftermarket CAI. Based on this simple information you can also understand why most all CAI will not produce higher power level. How can they? LOL Alos having larger diameter hose. Tubing for a CAI while mathematically has a higher volume , that extra CFM unless the engine has a static value higher CFM then a factory air box (which I have never seen one that did) wll have no effect on the power and in actuality to cool the larger volume of air would take a little longer. So advertising point to larger CFM supplied to and engine, is just that advertising, no basic facts that they work.

Again, to close the great thing about most CAI is they look RACE and sound RACE when installed on most engines.

There is a lot of information if one understands what is being displayed on the monitors.
Thank you for giving me a reason to repost my information again! I

Old 05-04-2023, 11:51 AM

Lol. As predicted, you fail to recognize the slip up. I saw your OTHER post about CAI's in general. I think most if not all CAI's are a complete waste of money unless you are looking for a difference in sound. Much like cat-back exhaust systems rarely yield an improvement and may go the other way.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I think most if not all CAI's are a complete waste of money unless you are looking for a difference in sound. Much like cat-back exhaust systems rarely yield an improvement and may go the other way.
I view it the same way, plus I see a lot of people claim that they do it for the sound rather than performance on multiple forums.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Lol. As predicted, you fail to recognize the slip up. I saw your OTHER post about CAI's in general. I think most if not all CAI's are a complete waste of money unless you are looking for a difference in sound. Much like cat-back exhaust systems rarely yield an improvement and may go the other way.
To repeat my responses about CAI is universal not necessarily about one application but I try with most of my responses to keep it on platform and engine types. That is why I often state GAS engine when posting information. If I worded it to indicate other wise then read ALL my responses in this thread not just what you pick and choose to support I responded with less then accurate information about a part or system operation.
I have said and included with most of my responses not only do I test many parts both stock and aftermarket but I also ENGINEER and DEVELOPE Performance parts ion several platforms. One of the parts I took large interest in is CAIs. However the market is saturated with junk. The internet is full of false and misleading information about them. Many owners of them report from their **** dyno think they work. Almost none do a before and after installing one and often those that do DYNO runs have installed more then just a CAI and falsely include a CAI as part of their increase in power. Many that spend money will not admit they wasted there money. . I have a product marketing firm for several of my performance products over decades many are still sold worldwide. I also have proposed products that the marketing firm researches for possible market sales. Unfortunately the performance market is saturated with choices and in the last 10 years we have choose not to bring many parts I engineered and developed to market. My single part/component for a 2.5 Mazda Ski active engine can yield 30+ hp (actual DYNO number may be higher ) on either the Turbo or gas engine. But comparing my component to the newly offered CORK SPORT TURBO upgrade KIT for N/A and there estimated sales I would be losing money to offer what I have. No one is going to spend that much money for both and the CS sales for that kit is estimated to be very low.
2014-2018 Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 Turbo Kit (corksport.com)

Last edited by Callisto; 05-04-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
I view it the same way, plus I see a lot of people claim that they do it for the sound rather than performance on multiple forums.
Yes the more experienced DIY with installing and using performance aftermarket parts tend to agree with that assessment regarding CAI's. But don't forget they look really good under the hood.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
WHAT!!!!!
Any idiot knows louder means more HP ...

Old 05-04-2023, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
WHAT!!!!!
normally when I see a Turbo anything , and they are feeling a bit like wanting to see what I have that is when time to reach in the back behind my seat open the valve on the bottle and atmosphere purge.... scare 'um a little.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
WHAT!!!!!
Hahahahaha definitely

Old 05-05-2023, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

I'm very happy with the factory Cold Air Intake Mazda fits.

Quick Reply: CALLISTO- Air intakes, do any of them actually work?