Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Can I disable the passenger airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 07:43 AM
Default Can I disable the passenger airbag?

Hi, new here, and to Mazda. My wife has to go for heart surgery on Cleveland, and the doctor told her we have to either have a car that we can disable the passenger air bags, or she has to ride home in the back. She gets car sick super fast in the back of any vehicle . So my question is: How do I disable the passenger airbags for her ride home? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:59 AM

Hope your wife recovers quickly from the surgery.

Not sure if it can be done, but even if, I would not recommend driving with the airbag disabled. Aren't there any medications against motion sickness that your wife can take despite her heart condition.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:16 AM

This seems like a discussion that should be held with your Dr. New cars cannot have the passenger airbag disabled, for good reason. It's a bizarre request to me, because God forbid you are in an accident bad enough to deploy the airbags, it's better for her to absorb that impact to her chest? Either way, it's not going to be good. If her condition is that delicate I'd request ambulance service home. Best of luck to both of you!

Old 02-24-2020, 01:21 PM

Good luck with the surgery. I agree with the comments already posted. It is not likely that Mazda has left an easily accessible mechanism to disable the passenger airbag in a vehicle with rear seats.

You may want to contact Mazda directly. I suspect it can be done, however, I doubt the dealership would be willing to do it without a directive from Mazda itself.

You may also want to ask the doctor if it would be acceptable to push the seat back as far as possible to minimize the impact of the airbag in the unlikely event that it goes of.

Another option to consider may be to spend an extra week or two in Cleveland until she is able to travel with the airbag on.

Good luck with the surgery.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:35 PM

I'd like to be able to spend a week or two.... We farm , my son just had knee surgery, our farm boy is only here two days a week, plus I've already pressed him and his dad into helping an extra morning when I have to leave for market early. I've got a "for hire" farm tender coming for the week we'll be in Cleveland. The staff said they may be able to get her something for car sickness, but it depends on what meds they have her on post op. It's an eight hour ride from our house to the Cleveland Clinic. I'm not looking to endanger my wife, but I'm not looking to have her sick for eight hours either.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grumpy Farmer
I'd like to be able to spend a week or two.... We farm , my son just had knee surgery, our farm boy is only here two days a week, plus I've already pressed him and his dad into helping an extra morning when I have to leave for market early. I've got a "for hire" farm tender coming for the week we'll be in Cleveland. The staff said they may be able to get her something for car sickness, but it depends on what meds they have her on post op. It's an eight hour ride from our house to the Cleveland Clinic. I'm not looking to endanger my wife, but I'm not looking to have her sick for eight hours either.
I understand. I was just throwing out some ideas. Running a small business is tough and a family farm may be the toughest business there is. It sounds like the surgery may be in the middle of one of your busiest times of the year.

Please let us know if Mazda is able to come through and let us know how everything turns out.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:27 AM
Default Use a pillow!

Originally Posted by Grumpy Farmer
Hi, new here, and to Mazda. My wife has to go for heart surgery on Cleveland, and the doctor told her we have to either have a car that we can disable the passenger air bags, or she has to ride home in the back. She gets car sick super fast in the back of any vehicle . So my question is: How do I disable the passenger airbags for her ride home? Thanks in advance.
My wife sits on a pillow, and that disables the airbag.