Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Can you add a cd player.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by kdaug
I am aware that copying CD's to a USB stick is an option, but, like the OP and Callisto (post #4), I want to connect up a portable CD at this time like Callisto did. Do you have any ideas how he did it? I have tried but as outlined in my post above the connections don't seem to have worked.
I am sure Callisto will come back and let you know what he did..

Old 05-15-2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I am sure Callisto will come back and let you know what he did..
Thanks you for alerting me chickdr19,
I did read the responses but I don't know (can't trouble shoot on line) what these members are doing incorrectly? I simply removed the USB input connector from the stock location and relocated it. Then from the player using a simple USB cable at the output plugged it into the relocated USB input port no different then if it were in the stock location ? It just worked and registered on my screen? The USB port does everything including powering the player at ignition on. One simple USB cable? I will say that is the only thing that I did not care to much for was the player always powering on, but it as far as I am aware it hurts nothing. Just makes the the powering on noise I can hear in the glove box.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Thanks you for alerting me chickdr19,
I did read the responses but I don't know (can't trouble shoot on line) what these members are doing incorrectly? I simply removed the USB input connector from the stock location and relocated it. Then from the player using a simple USB cable at the output plugged it into the relocated USB input port no different then if it were in the stock location ? It just worked and registered on my screen? The USB port does everything including powering the player at ignition on. One simple USB cable? I will say that is the only thing that I did not care to much for was the player always powering on, but it as far as I am aware it hurts nothing. Just makes the the powering on noise I can hear in the glove box.
I'm wondering if my issue is the type of CD player I am trying to use. As mentioned in my post above I am trying to connect a CD/DVD player that I use with my laptop. I see that yours looks more like a conventional vehicle CD player where you place a CD in the slot and it is drawn into the player. Mine has the drawer where you press a button to open it, insert a CD on to the tray then press the door to close it. In addition some one mentioned to me that, even though the USB cord does power up my player, maybe the player doesn't have the needed software installed to allow it to be recognized by my vehicles audio system.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by kdaug
I'm wondering if my issue is the type of CD player I am trying to use. As mentioned in my post above I am trying to connect a CD/DVD player that I use with my laptop. I see that yours looks more like a conventional vehicle CD player where you place a CD in the slot and it is drawn into the player. Mine has the drawer where you press a button to open it, insert a CD on to the tray then press the door to close it. In addition some one mentioned to me that, even though the USB cord does power up my player, maybe the player doesn't have the needed software installed to allow it to be recognized by my vehicles audio system.
Sounds to me like you may have solved the question!

Mine = Universal External Car CD MP3 High Definition Video Player System With USB Power Supply Compatible Ror PC TV Android DVD Dish Box

LOL ......I have never tried a DVD in it? Might be something I will see what happens?? I bought it for size and simplicity to install?

Old 05-16-2021, 11:30 AM

Ok so I had to find out.... I placed Blu-ray DVD Avatar...It registered on my dash screen as AVITAR but the sub note was no signal files available.
Makes me think now I want another project and add a monitor for playing DVDs... LOL Maybe I will start looking into visor monitors?

Old 05-23-2021, 05:15 PM

I have decided to bite the bullet and rip some CD's to a 16GB USB flashdrive (formatted to FAT32) until I can find an affordable portable/external CD player that is recognized by my audio system. So far I have ripped 35 CD's...only 200+ to go!! That'll do for now.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:17 AM
Default Multi USB cable devices

In the event anyone else tries a multi USB port connected device, like a CD player, I figured that I should mention that the extra plug is so the device can draw more amps. You might want to try a higher amp USB outlet in the 12 volt port. I have experienced the same issue multiple times with external hard drives. They might be able to draw enough power for the electronics, but not quite enough for the motor. It results in the device being recognized, but not accessible.

Old 12-09-2022, 03:35 PM
Default 2021 CX-5, no Aux In, playing Cassettes

Not being inclined to port cassettes to MP3s to put on a stick (or rip more CDs), I looked to using an analog walkman-type cassette player with a bluetooth transceiver. I'll try this with an old discman later.
I started with this video just to understand the basics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv-KX3qJeSU).
The transceiver in the video was pricier than I wanted for this experiment, so I got this one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083J98ZFX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_detail s).
I had previously picked up a non-bluetooth, cheap, portable cassette player (Semier SM-266). It's adequate. If anyone knows of a new (not vintage) high quality portable cassette player, please let me know.
After connecting the headphone jack of the player to Tx port on the transceiver and setting the transceiver switch to Tx, my first attempt to pair and connect with the CX-5 failed.
I then was able to pair and connect the player with my 2013 Camry and a Kenwood head unit in a Honda. By playing with the volume controls on the player and the car stereos I was able to get okay sound.
I went back to the CX-5 and tried again and it connected this time, I don't know what was different this time.
The included USB cable is only used for connecting to a computer or charging the transceiver. Read the instructions slowly and carefully.
A pricier transceiver might improve the sound, but the player quality is undoubtedly a limitation.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:50 AM
Default Mazda 3 2020 CD Player from factory is possible.

I get mine from Mazda Germany, just need to swap CMU for Europe version, you will have FM AM USB and Cd Player working fantastic, all other settings like controlling lights, security works correctly,, you will loose sirius XM Pandora and HD Radio
but if you are like me you will be happy by listen to your cd's

Old 01-28-2023, 11:00 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Good info charlieskyactiv

Quick Reply: Can you add a cd player.