Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cannot disable beeping after locking

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 10:18 AM
Default Cannot disable beeping after locking

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue. I bought a 2019 CX-5 about a week ago. When I get out and push the lock button on the key fob it repeatedly beeps for about 5-10 seconds loudly. I went into the menu and turned off the sound. I also enabled walk away locking. This has had no effect.

Despite the changes to the menu, the car does not lock when I walk away from it and upon pushing the lock button, it locks and still makes the beeping noise. There is not another key fob in the car and the menu continues to indicate that the beep noise is "off" and walk away locking is enabled. Any ideas? TIA.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Matthews
Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue. I bought a 2019 CX-5 about a week ago. When I get out and push the lock button on the key fob it repeatedly beeps for about 5-10 seconds loudly. I went into the menu and turned off the sound. I also enabled walk away locking. This has had no effect.

Despite the changes to the menu, the car does not lock when I walk away from it and upon pushing the lock button, it locks and still makes the beeping noise. There is not another key fob in the car and the menu continues to indicate that the beep noise is "off" and walk away locking is enabled. Any ideas? TIA.
This has happened intermittently on my Jeep. It seems that the sensor that determines if the fob is in the vehicle sometimes takes couple of seconds to recognize that the fob has moved outside. A second attempt always works. I don't know if the CX5 is doing something similar, but it's something to check out.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:33 AM

Yup. Check to make sure the SO has not left the other key in the car.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:54 AM

Yeah, it's not either of those. Second key is at home and I'm at work so that's not it. Tried walking away and checking on it after 5 minutes and it was still unlocked so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with proximity to the vehicle. Appreciate the ideas, though. Worst come to worst, I'll have to stop by a dealership and ask them.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:28 PM

Yeah, it's not either of those. Second key is at home and I'm at work so that's not it. Tried walking away and checking on it after 5 minutes and it was still unlocked so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with proximity to the vehicle. Appreciate the ideas, though. Worst come to worst, I'll have to stop by a dealership and ask them.
If it doesn't lock when you first walk away, it won't lock later unless you return and try it with the key on you. If the 19 is like my 14, you will hear a chirp as you move away from the door and another when it locks as you leave the perimeter of the vehicle. If you lock it using the button on the door handle and it beeps at you, it is telling you that it thinks your fob is inside the vehicle. The same would apply if you use the button on the inside of the door and it beeps at you when you shut the door.

Since you bought this used, I'm wondering if the previous owner might have stashed a third fob inside somewhere. Some people do strange things with their cars.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:27 PM

You know, you're right. People do weird stuff. I'll have a look around, but I can't help wandering if there's a light or something on or something that's keeping it from working.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:18 AM

You know, you're right. People do weird stuff. I'll have a look around, but I can't help wandering if there's a light or something on or something that's keeping it from working.
You will also get a rapid beeping if a door is ajar. Just a stab in the dark, but opening and closing each door, maybe an indicator switch isn't off. No guarantees, but it can't hurt.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:16 PM
Unhappy Same with 2016 CX-5

Mine does the same but I've had it for three years and it just started doing this when I push the door handle button. I get the familiar one beep and then it continues beeping for a few seconds.

Old 09-06-2021, 04:03 PM

@Josh Matthews , did you figure out the problem?

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue. I bought a 2019 CX-5 about a week ago. When I get out and push the lock button on the key fob it repeatedly beeps for about 5-10 seconds loudly. I went into the menu and turned off the sound.
The only way I can get it to do this, in my own 2016.5 CX-5 GT, is to either leave the fob inside, or leave the ignition/ACC on, or leave lights on. It'll beep at me then. Of course, each of these is easy to check. If none of these conditions exist, with yours, and if there aren't any dash warning lights about some condition, then I've no idea why it would be doing the rapid-beep warning.

I also enabled walk away locking. This has had no effect.
With either of the fobs, I find that if I exit the car too rapidly and don't give it a moment after closing the door for the car to recognize the fob's left the interior with me, then it won't recognize the Walk-Away-Lock mode. Yet, if I close the door but then hesitate a second or so, it always works. Might try that, if your exit speed is just a bit too quick for the recognition (by the system) to kick in.