Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Changing Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 11:42 AM

Thanks Callisto. We bought our vehicle in October 2019, off of the Mazda dealer's lot. Not sure how long the vehicle was on the lot prior to our purchase. It still has the factory battery, so I know it is over three years old. Due to the age, I am just going to replace it before winter sets in.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mark. STL.
Thanks Callisto. We bought our vehicle in October 2019, off of the Mazda dealer's lot. Not sure how long the vehicle was on the lot prior to our purchase. It still has the factory battery, so I know it is over three years old. Due to the age, I am just going to replace it before winter sets in.
This a good idea. I am on battery #3 , oem went bad less then 24 months date code manufactured showed it was 68 months old. Then I went through 2 Optima before I changed my alternator , added several more power leads mostly increased the size of the ground cable and now routinely when parked connect a battery tender. But then I also have a very HIGH demand stereo system and a few other ecteronic goodies I have added.

I would however suggest to add a large ground cable in addition to the itty bitty MAZDA oem ground cable. LOL
It would take you about 20 minutes and cost about 20 buckes? You WILL notice a difference in starting and high electrical load demand on your MAZDA.
You can see that battery I use as well the alternation (MONSTER) and cables on my thread.

Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 19 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 10-05-2022, 12:48 PM

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2022, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I changed my alternator , added several more power leads mostly increased the size of the ground cable and now routinely when parked connect a battery tender. But then I also have a very HIGH demand stereo system and a few other ecteronic goodies I have added.

Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 19 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums
Originally Posted by Mark. STL.
Thanks!

Old 11-22-2022, 02:46 AM

Nothing needs to be done other than making sure you get a quality name brand battery and preferably one that uses 100% new components. I would also look at the production date of the battery and not the retail date sticker and try to get a battery that has as new a production date as possible. Have the place you buy the battery physically in front of you LOAD TEST the battery before you buy it. Do not take the comment "we load test all the batteries" as are reliable comment on the present condition of the battery of interest.

If you get it installed, I suggest that you watch the install and make sure they do not over tighten the battery terminals. Drive around the block or 2 and confirm that you get NO DTC from the install or return to the store and have them see what the DTC was.

The ECU learning or adaptive happens constantly as you drive each drive cycle so not to be concern with that.
Why do you say no recycled parts? The better rated AGM DieHard battery I just bought has them. Is this just your opinion or do you have some facts to back you up?

Old 11-22-2022, 02:51 AM

Nothing needs to be done other than making sure you get a quality name brand battery and preferably one that uses 100% new components. I would also look at the production date of the battery and not the retail date sticker and try to get a battery that has as new a production date as possible. Have the place you buy the battery physically in front of you LOAD TEST the battery before you buy it. Do not take the comment "we load test all the batteries" as are reliable comment on the present condition of the battery of interest.

If you get it installed, I suggest that you watch the install and make sure they do not over tighten the battery terminals. Drive around the block or 2 and confirm that you get NO DTC from the install or return to the store and have them see what the DTC was.

The ECU learning or adaptive happens constantly as you drive each drive cycle so not to be concern with that.
Why do you say no recycled parts? The better rated AGM DieHard battery I just bought has them. Is this just your opinion or do you have some facts to back you up?

Old 11-22-2022, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by JJNEG39
Be ready for a storm! Cali will give you lots of grief for questioning him....

My personal opinion? I agree with him about planning to replace the battery every 3-4 yrs on newer cars. They just seem to wear out a lot faster with all the electronics. You mentioned AGM. I have a 2006 BMW Z4M which had an AGM from the factory. I have replaced the battery several times since with both AGM and standard flooded lead acid batteries. Both types lasted the same 3-4yrs each time. I now just buy the cheaper LA batteries (I get the longer warranty version - Platinum or whatever the top version is) but I don't personally see the benefit to AGM (unless its inside the cabin which some carmakers do these days).

Old 11-22-2022, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by JJNEG39
Ya facts! lol I just posted the information off the cuff.. lol But if you are really curious you can find the information with some good internet investigation work. I am not here to write another Automotive technical Book. ( been there done that to)
At what point does information from someone become supportive. In this day even empirical data and facts come into question. Mostly on forum because of the crowd thought agreement mentality. If a group of members says something is true or false it must be! LOL So who really has agreeable FACTs about anything? As far as the batteries goes my posting is based on the experience, servicing, selling installing (in the thousands my guess) and have an extensive background and education in the 12-volt operating system on vehicles accumulated over 40 plus years. I don't post information on a "guess-what' basis because I feel something is correct or an opinion of mine .... and if it is an opinion about something I will state that when posting so as not to confuse it with actual supportive information of empirical data that can be found and support my information. The battery industry is not going to say YA are batteries use recycled material and ya you are not going to get the same life and performance of all new material. ROLMAO. If they totally trusted the recycled material, don't you really think they would list, it in their advertising. The tree huggers and environmentalists would DIG those companies
You can do what you personally want and who and what you find you want to believe.
So basically, I don't give a rat's **** if you want to trust what I say or not.
Cheers!

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Be ready for a storm! Cali will give you lots of grief for questioning him....

My personal opinion? I agree with him about planning to replace the battery every 3-4 yrs on newer cars. They just seem to wear out a lot faster with all the electronics. You mentioned AGM. I have a 2006 BMW Z4M which had an AGM from the factory. I have replaced the battery several times since with both AGM and standard flooded lead acid batteries. Both types lasted the same 3-4yrs each time. I now just buy the cheaper LA batteries (I get the longer warranty version - Platinum or whatever the top version is) but I don't personally see the benefit to AGM (unless its inside the cabin which some carmakers do these days).
WOW! I can't believe it.

If the battery is maintained with at least a battery tender occasionally most all 12 volt daily driven vehicle batterie should live a longer life.
The AGM has the biggest benefits of not taking out other electronics when it starts to go bad.
In the shop as soon as I see a wet battery I asign it to one of my mechanic's. My days of getting acid holes from batteries are well over with. hahaha!

Last edited by Callisto; 11-22-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:33 AM

Found a useful YOUTUBE video on how to reset the iStop [STOP/ START] feature when you change the battery ; personally I don't miss it, as
on my CX5 hasn't worked for a time, which is down to battery voltage being somewhat low (12.06v). Procedure
also requires some resetting steering wheel settings.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:34 AM
Wink Resetting iSop when changing battery

Found a useful YOUTUBE video on how to reset the iStop [STOP/ START] feature when you change the battery ; personally I don't miss it, as
on my CX5 hasn't worked for a time, which is down to battery voltage being somewhat low (12.06v). Procedure
also requires some resetting steering wheel settings.

Quick Reply: Changing Battery