Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Clearing dashboard lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 03:48 AM
Default Clearing dashboard lights

I have a 2017 CX-5 2.5 Skyactiv.
it runs perfectly BUT during a routine shopping run my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. Istop flashing. ABS light ON. Traction control light ON. Parking brake warning light ON. Tyre pressure light ON.
luckily I was within a few km of my home and limped home, but everything appeared to be working normally.
Tye previous owner had replaced the original battery but had NOT used a Q85 type. I thought maybe the voltage had dropped (even though I ALWAYS disconnect the istop function). The battery is only 5 months old so I recharged it using my clever battery charger.
Whatever I do I can’t get the warning lights to switch off!!!!
Also I’ve now noticed the memory seat stopped working, and the driver door mirror folding motor whines away all the time, only stopping about 1 minute after switching off the engine!
Please understand.... I live on a remote island province. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to take this to a dealer!!!
Does anyone know what to do to reset??
I’ve tried completely disconnecting the battery for several hours.
Ive tried a plug-in diagnostic tool..... no affect!!
HELP.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:07 AM

If by a diagnostic tool you mean an OBD code reader, then a trip to the shop may be your only choice. If you haven't used an OBD reader to clear the code(s), that would
be the place to start, make note of the code before clearing it.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like to need to visit a mechanic with a professional scan tool. All the lights will be because of fault codes.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:38 AM

For any weird electrical stuff like what you're seeing, I'd always start with the battery (yes, I did read the part about it being fairly new and also that you recharged it). One thing you can do on your own is to temporarily swap in a battery from another vehicle, presuming that you either own one, or can find someone willing to let you borrow theirs for a few minutes. Yes, you could have the battery tested, but I've read reports on other forums of batteries that came back 'good', from a tester, but subsequently were proven to be the cause of whatever the problem was. Trying a working battery from another vehicle should be a definitive test (either way). And if swapping in another battery does happen to eliminate all of the stuff your seeing, be aware that doesn't guarantee the battery is the real issue, because the alternator is in the mix as well.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chris!
If by a diagnostic tool you mean an OBD code reader, then a trip to the shop may be your only choice. If you haven't used an OBD reader to clear the code(s), that would
be the place to start, make note of the code before clearing it.
Yes I bought and used a OBD code reader. After diagnostics it came back NO FAULT CODES. So I repeated the test..... several times!

Old 07-30-2020, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
For any weird electrical stuff like what you're seeing, I'd always start with the battery (yes, I did read the part about it being fairly new and also that you recharged it). One thing you can do on your own is to temporarily swap in a battery from another vehicle, presuming that you either own one, or can find someone willing to let you borrow theirs for a few minutes. Yes, you could have the battery tested, but I've read reports on other forums of batteries that came back 'good', from a tester, but subsequently were proven to be the cause of whatever the problem was. Trying a working battery from another vehicle should be a definitive test (either way). And if swapping in another battery does happen to eliminate all of the stuff your seeing, be aware that doesn't guarantee the battery is the real issue, because the alternator is in the mix as well.
I’ve tried 2 different batteries, both fully charged and tested with my ‘smart charger’.
One was about 9 months old, the other brand new from a battery supplier. Different makes.
So I’m pretty sure we can rule out a battery issue.
Thanks for your input though.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:15 PM

This is my dashboard.......

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8035.MOV (2.73 MB, 397 views)
Old 07-30-2020, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Cheaper Generic scan tools often don't have the same range of fault codes or module access as Mazda's own MMDS scan tool. You would be better off booking it in with Mazda for a scan.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:44 AM

Really annoying to discover that the OP posted another thread last year describing this exact same issue. No follow up on that one, and no reference made to the previous information either.