Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Default Cold Weather

It was -6 c here today and I started my car and let it run 15 mins and only a small part of the ice on the windshield had thawed. I then drove it for an 1/2hr with heaters on max and none of the side windows had thawed at all and the back window which was thawed because of the rear defrost froze in minutes after the rear defrost cut out. Now, in my part of the world -6 isn't cold considering in January and February we can get months of -20 to -40c. Has anyone in colder climax experience this kinda thing with there CX 5? Oh just for the record there is heat coming out of the vents so no need to say mine isn't working correctly.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:07 AM

I'd say the heating in my 2020 Sig is pretty underwhelming. With indicator cranked up to 'HI', very little change. The various fan speeds just change the amount of noise. The steering wheel heater is hardly noticeable, same for seat heater. Front defroster does work somewhat though.

I hate to admit this but I just noticed the passenger-side setting was on LO, from factory I guess and it was indeed putting out cold air. Once I set it to 70 the car warmed up nicely...DUH...

Last edited by Whit; 11-12-2020 at 10:04 AM. Reason: DUH...
Old 11-08-2020, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by pcumby
It was -6 c here today and I started my car and let it run 15 mins and only a small part of the ice on the windshield had thawed. I then drove it for an 1/2hr with heaters on max and none of the side windows had thawed at all and the back window which was thawed because of the rear defrost froze in minutes after the rear defrost cut out. Now, in my part of the world -6 isn't cold considering in January and February we can get months of -20 to -40c. Has anyone in colder climax experience this kinda thing with there CX 5? Oh just for the record there is heat coming out of the vents so no need to say mine isn't working correctly.
Perhaps scraping the ice off of the windows first would be in order?

Old 11-08-2020, 09:53 AM

Unless you plug into the diagnostic connector and access the water temperature it is hard to get an idea if you have an issue? You can also get one of those cooking thermostats and stick it in one of the vents to see what the temperature is. I run one in my vent all the time. Naturally working the vent control and feeling for the proper air volume. If you use a hand held temperature reader you can compare temperatures in the lower mid and upper vents to the defrost vents.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-08-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:03 AM

one left field suggestion. Try running the fan at a medium speed instead of full blast.
BTDT. If the air is moving to fast over the heater core, it can't pick up as much heat as
slower moving air.

My 2¢

Old 11-08-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
one left field suggestion. Try running the fan at a medium speed instead of full blast.
BTDT. If the air is moving to fast over the heater core, it can't pick up as much heat as
slower moving air.

My 2¢

LOL I suggest to go look how the MAZDA HVAC system works.... and what happens in the defrost only setting in auto mode Although your suggestion would might work for many vehicles manufactured from 1950-1980ish....with a partially less then 100% performing cooling system and to cold thermostat temperature value for the current climate
Your responses many times give me a good (positive) laugh Dennis. I have to say al n all you are a helpful guy just not in times with empirical information?

Old 11-08-2020, 01:11 PM

Most of us here seek practical advise/opinions on our problems or situations, not necessarily PHD or 'empirical
level.
To the point here, the GMC Terrain I came off from had a very similar HVAC system.
Cranking up the temperature setting, pick 're-circulate', and choose a medium fan speed,
should help the OP's situation. I did in mine as my vehicle sits outside and the winters here are
similar to his. Assuming his thermostat is working correctly (205°}, it might help.
I do have a windshield cover, if I don't forget to install when snow or ice is expected.

I always find the opinion of self important experts humorous.

My 2¢

Old 11-08-2020, 04:16 PM

Uh...yeah...thanks a lot...

Old 11-08-2020, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
Perhaps scraping the ice off of the windows first would be in order?
no offence Conrad but, I can't take advice from someone from Illinois about how to keep a car from freeze up when I live in northern Alberta. You need a good heater to keep it from freezing when you drive in northern Canada. We all scrap our cars when it is needed when you live in this part of the world. However, this guy isn't cutting it right now

Old 11-09-2020, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by pcumby
no offence Conrad but, I can't take advice from someone from Illinois about how to keep a car from freeze up when I live in northern Alberta. You need a good heater to keep it from freezing when you drive in northern Canada. We all scrap our cars when it is needed when you live in this part of the world. However, this guy isn't cutting it right now
No offence taken.

Do you somehow think that winters here in Northern Illinois are mild? I can assure you that they are not. On average they may or may not be as brutal as winters in Northern Alberta but they are no picnic either.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather