Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Most of us here seek practical advise/opinions on our problems or situations, not necessarily PHD or 'empirical
level.
Again I suggest that you read exactly how a HVAC system work. There is a reason why the AC is activated when you use the defrost settings.

Originally Posted by pcumby
no offence Conrad but, I can't take advice from someone from Illinois about how to keep a car from freeze up when I live in northern Alberta. You need a good heater to keep it from freezing when you drive in northern Canada. We all scrap our cars when it is needed when you live in this part of the world. However, this guy isn't cutting it right now
pcumby....... I live in CA at the bottom of the Sierra mountains and the [size=13px]temperatures[/size][size=13px]yesterday[/size] for our short drive heading towards RENO was 26F= -3.3c with a clear bright sunny morning. The heat coming out of the HAVC in my MAZDA was 170F= 76.6 (or close to equal the indicated coolant [size=13px]temperature[/size]) most of the drive . You have something going on with your HVAC system that perhaps you should have a MAZDA Service Department look into. You don't want to find out later that it had nothing to do with your HAVC and instead your cooling system which can effect the ECU ability to correctly adjust other operating system on your MAZDA.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-09-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:34 AM

Again I suggest that you read exactly how a HVAC system work. There is a reason why the AC is activated when you use the defrost settings.
And again, us common folk already know how a HVAC system works. In my case it works the same as the GMC system works.
Since the AC compressor is activated in defrost mode automatically, there was no need to mention it.

My 2¢

Old 11-09-2020, 03:25 PM

And again, us common folk already know how a HVAC system works. In my case it works the same as the GMC system works.
Since the AC compressor is activated in defrost mode automatically, there was no need to mention it.

My 2¢
LOL auh sure O...K.. then., So moisture in the air has no effect on the system and how it was designed to work.... LOL

I give up I can see if you respond in a thread I just need to let you be and hope no one really takes you serious?

Peace....

Old 11-09-2020, 10:46 PM

So moisture in the air has no effect on the system and how it was designed to work.... LOL
Cite anywhere I or anyone said that. Maybe you just like to read your own thoughts even if they don't mean
much.

My 2¢

Old 11-10-2020, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Callisto;189151]Again I suggest that you read exactly how a HVAC system work. There is a reason why the AC is activated when you use the defrost settings.

Cite anywhere I or anyone said that. Maybe you just like to read your own thoughts even if they don't mean
much.

My 2¢

ROLMAO I did,,, the way it was phrased was to question you and what you "DON"T know about an HVAC system. Or did your miss the "LOL" after the sentence? like this LOL
You just made my point about what you really don't know as much as you think about HVAC systems Dennis!

Let me help you ...a little more

HVAC one thing about what and how it works:
Your air-conditioning is also a dehumidifier. So even while using warm air to defrost the windshield, make sure the air-conditioning is turned on so your car will dehumidify the air before it warms it. Cool air from the air conditioner will dry the air, removing the moisture.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-10-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:40 AM

Will you two stop the bickering please? It's getting old fast.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
Will you two stop the bickering please? It's getting old fast.
Ya I am just having fun now. IMHO Most of the answer to looking for the solution was in the OP first response anyway.

We have 3 vehicles today in the shop that have pretty close to the same compliant as the OP's. One is a sticking thermostat, one is a little more extensive in the mechanism to alter the air flow is not opening completely. The last is an AC system that leaked the refrigerant enough so low pressure in the AC system causing the the compressor not to operate so the HVAC will not function properly. In this case the o-ring on the compressor High Pressure hose needed replacement and the system refrigerant replaced. Then the Defrost should work properly again.

In GENERAL not suggesting this thread.....but reading snake-oil recommendations on some threads I try to help members out ( I am far from the average forum DIY) often times bugs me when a member posts information less accurate or just plain wrong. Conrad you have participated (positive manor and accurately i.e. drain plugs ) on threads where you have seen this happen!

Another way to look at this thread... if you look at any given number of subject material's on any given thread often times the most viewing activity includes those that have a couple or few members debating, of just plain arguing. While some members seem to get bugged by reading this less then productive activity more will view the thread and read for the entertainment value. I looked at the stats of this thread and the activity viewing jumped when one member and I started going back and forth. LOL

I did try to exit this thread at one point but then realized I gave enough hint information for the one member to go research and learn. But that did not work out like I had planned? LOL
what's that saying *You can't teach an old dog new tricks which we all know means attemptingto teach a person something new seldom works out usually because that person has been doing things a certain way for so long they' are too stubborn to learn how to do it differently or correctly .

Ok so now I am off got to do my attack on Clash of Clans lol

Last edited by Callisto; 11-10-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto

pcumby....... I live in CA at the bottom of the Sierra mountains and the [size=13px]temperatures[/size][size=13px]yesterday[/size] for our short drive heading towards RENO was 26F= -3.3c with a clear bright sunny morning. The heat coming out of the HAVC in my MAZDA was 170F= 76.6 (or close to equal the indicated coolant [size=13px]temperature[/size]) most of the drive . You have something going on with your HVAC system that perhaps you should have a MAZDA Service Department look into. You don't want to find out later that it had nothing to do with your HAVC and instead your cooling system which can effect the ECU ability to correctly adjust other operating system on your MAZDA.
As I have said, temperature isn't the issue. it is getting warm enough, but placement of the vents is not keeping the ice off. And for the record -3 c is a heat wave for me in northern Alberta this time of year so I need a system equal or better than my 2011 Honda Accord.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by pcumby
As I have said, temperature isn't the issue. it is getting warm enough, but placement of the vents is not keeping the ice off. And for the record -3 c is a heat wave for me in northern Alberta this time of year so I need a system equal or better than my 2011 Honda Accord.
You cant compare your HONDA to your MAZDA? lol Now how about finding other MAZDA's from 2002 and newer and compare to yours?
The vents and there location and function or performance in cold temperatures are specifically engineered to work even in extreme cold operating conditions. Your issue seems to be limited and not a noticed problem really talked about on other MAZDA forums nor is there any TSBs that I can find and even expanding to other none MAZDA platforms anywhere else generally speaking for vehicle's manufactured from about 2002 and newer? That was only a quick search on my part.

Maybe not for your unique concern given what you keep tell all of us, but this can work considerably well for other on most any vehicles operating in extremely cold climates.

Install a device at the OBDII diagnostic connector or install a stand alone coolant temperature gauge to carefully monitor your coolant temperatures. Experiment with covering different size portion the front of your AC condenser which will also reduce the available air to the surface on the radiator. Install a manual override on/off switch to your radiator fans so they will not activate during the time you are using defrost settings . To bad NOONE offers a real ECU access program you could change the operating low and high speed fan mapping. LOL

Maybe your best effort would be simply to take it to a MAZDA dealer and have their service department look into your problem at this point?

Old 11-10-2020, 12:21 PM
BWJ

Not all air conditioners are designed to work in winter, some air conditioners turn off at low temperatures, so at these air conditioners there is no help to retrieve to remove moisture.
And guess what, Mazda works to only to minus 2-3 degrees

Quick Reply: Cold Weather