Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Considering CX-5 ownership, concerned about traction control

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 09:47 PM
Default Considering CX-5 ownership, concerned about traction control

I'm looking for an SUV of some sorts, and the CX-5 is the only one I've test drove so far and liked. It was a 2016 1st gen Touring AWD I drove. The only concern I had was the traction control. I've been told disabling the TCS also activates this secret offroad mode/ simulated locking diff. I get why Mazda made the car do this, but I have some concerns/ questions about this.

The issue is that I cannot stand traction control. When I drive a car with it, it's the first thing I shut off. It seems with an AWD one, I can't do this. It seems illogical to always drive around with this offroad mode on all the time, but I also don't want to drive around with TCS on.

Does anyone know if the FWD ones have this offroad mode? If I press the TCS off button on a FWD, is turning the TCS off all it does? It seems only the AWD ones have the offroad mode, but I'd like to know for certain before I keep looking into CX-5's. I would rather have the ability to always have the TCS shut off than have AWD.

The CX-5's I'm looking to buy are pre-owned 1st gens. I'm used to sporty performance cars, mostly European ones, and totally out of my element looking at crossovers. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:47 AM

Exactly who told you about this 'secret off road mode'? I guess it's no longer secret eh? We'll have to have a 'talk' with this person...

There is no such thing. Who ever told you this doesn't know what they're talking about.

What is your issue with TCS? The system is nearly seamless on the CX-5. What kind of driving do you do that TCS is such a burden to your style?

"When I drive a car with it, it's the first thing I shut off. It seems with an AWD one, I can't do this."

Did the same guy who told you about the secret off road mode also tell you that you can't turn off TCS?

Old 05-25-2021, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Leni Loud
I'm looking for an SUV of some sorts, and the CX-5 is the only one I've test drove so far and liked. It was a 2016 1st gen Touring AWD I drove. The only concern I had was the traction control. I've been told disabling the TCS also activates this secret offroad mode/ simulated locking diff. I get why Mazda made the car do this, but I have some concerns/ questions about this.

The issue is that I cannot stand traction control. When I drive a car with it, it's the first thing I shut off. It seems with an AWD one, I can't do this. It seems illogical to always drive around with this offroad mode on all the time, but I also don't want to drive around with TCS on.

Does anyone know if the FWD ones have this offroad mode? If I press the TCS off button on a FWD, is turning the TCS off all it does? It seems only the AWD ones have the offroad mode, but I'd like to know for certain before I keep looking into CX-5's. I would rather have the ability to always have the TCS shut off than have AWD.

The CX-5's I'm looking to buy are pre-owned 1st gens. I'm used to sporty performance cars, mostly European ones, and totally out of my element looking at crossovers. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.
This may be helpful for you, from the 2021 CX5 on line manual
Search Term: "Traction Control"

There are explanations for ABS, TSC, DSC and Off Road Traction Assist
Here is the ORTA for general interest

Off-Road Traction Assist (Some Models)Name:  bm_ico.png
Views: 1688
Size:  351 Bytes

When the vehicle tires become embedded in mud, sand, or deep snow, the Off-Road Traction Assist functions to prevent drive-wheel spinning and to assist in freeing tires that are stuck.
Do not drive over rough rocky roads and river beds.

WARNING
Do not rely completely on the Off-Road Traction Assist.
The Off-Road Traction Assist has limitations. Always drive the vehicle safely according to the road conditions. Do not drive the vehicle recklessly, otherwise it may result in an accident. In addition, do not drive the vehicle under the following conditions while the Off-Road Traction Assist is operating. Otherwise, it could negatively affect the drivetrain parts which could result in an accident.
  • Vehicle is driven on paved roads.
  • Temporary spare tire or tires of a different specified size are used.
  • Tire chains are used.
CAUTIONDo not rely completely on the Off-Road Traction Assist.
The Off-Road Traction Assist has limitations. Always drive the vehicle safely according to the road conditions. Do not drive the vehicle recklessly, otherwise it may result in an accident. In addition, do not drive the vehicle under the following conditions while the Off-Road Traction Assist is operating. Otherwise, it could negatively affect the drivetrain parts which could result in an accident.
  • Vehicle is driven on paved roads.
  • Temporary spare tire or tires of a different specified size are used.
  • Tire chains are used.
CAUTIONThe Off-Road Traction Assist is a function to assist in freeing tires that are stuck. When it is not necessary to use this function, avoid driving the vehicle continuously with the Off-Road Traction Assist on.

(Vehicle equipped with Type A/B instrument cluster)
If the vehicle is driven continuously with the Off-Road Traction Assist on, the AWD warning indication may be displayed.

(Vehicle equipped with Type C instrument cluster)
If the vehicle is driven continuously with the Off-Road Traction Assist on, the AWD warning light may flash.
Refer to If a Warning Light Turns On or Flashes (Search).

NOTE
The vehicle may vibrate or you might hear an operation sound while the Off-Road Traction Assist is operating or is operational, however, this does not indicate a problem.

Off-Road Traction Assist Indicator Light
Name:  05060502-tcusa01-001.png
Views: 1710
Size:  2.1 KB
  • When the ignition is switched ON, the indicator light turns on and then turns off after a few seconds.
  • When pressing the Off-Road Traction Assist switch to operate the Off-Road Traction Assist, the indicator light turns on.
  • A problem in the system might be indicated under the following conditions. Have your vehicle inspected by an Authorized Mazda Dealer.
    • The indicator light does not turn on when the ignition is switched ON or it remains on.
    • The indicator light turns on even though the Off-Road Traction Assist was not operated.

Off-Road Traction Assist Switch

When the switch is pressed after stopping the vehicle, the Off-Road Traction Assist becomes operational.
The Off-Road Traction Assist indicator light in the instrument cluster turn on.
Name:  05060503-kfusa01-001.png
Views: 1734
Size:  12.5 KBIf the switch is pressed again, the Off-Road Traction Assist is stopped and the Off-Road Traction Assist indicator light turn off.

NOTE
If the engine is stopped with the Off-Road Traction Assist operational, the Off-Road Traction Assist is stopped when the engine is started the next time.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
What is your issue with TCS? The system is nearly seamless on the CX-5. What kind of driving do you do that TCS is such a burden to your style?

"When I drive a car with it, it's the first thing I shut off. It seems with an AWD one, I can't do this."

Did the same guy who told you about the secret off road mode also tell you that you can't turn off TCS?
LOL @ TC cramping his style.

I used to have the same mentality when I was younger, watching F1 and WRC and thinking I was a racing driver who didn't need ABS or traction control. Now that I'm older, about to be a father, and driving an average SUV, I leave all the driver aids on, and upgraded the tires to get the best possible grip in the wet and dry. TC is non invasive and does not interfere much unless you're a hooligan, so there's no point in turning it off.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5

I'm a bit confused, can you, or someone more knowledgeable than me, elaborate? What do you mean you can't turn off the TCS? Shouldn't the TCS OFF button, kinda turn off the TCS?

Old 05-26-2021, 01:10 AM

Leni
You indicate you have already been told , by someone, that you cant shut off TCS.
Conrad is only asking if it was the same person that told you about the "secret off road mode"

Old 05-26-2021, 08:18 AM

I'm a bit confused, can you, or someone more knowledgeable than me, elaborate? What do you mean you can't turn off the TCS? Shouldn't the TCS OFF button, kinda turn off the TCS?
You're the person who said that TCS can not be turned off.

Remember this? "When I drive a car with it, it's the first thing I shut off. It seems with an AWD one, I can't do this."

I'm fairly fluent in English and from what I read of the above you just stated that an AWD car can not have it's TCS shut off. Or at least that you can't shut it off.

Yes, the TCS in my CX can be turned off. Default is on, so if you want it off you'll have to shut it off after each start.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:36 AM
Old 05-26-2021, 04:10 PM

Perfect link. Thanks.................................... Frank

Old 05-26-2021, 04:51 PM

I did not read the OT carefully the first time, and did not understand this question was regarding the 1st Gen CX5 and TCS and Off Road Traction Assist.

We had a 2014 CX5 AWD, and TCS could be turned off with the TCS OFF button in the manner the OP desires. In perusing the 2016.5 owner's manual, the last first generation (1G) CX5 US spec model before the introduction of the second generation (2G) CX5, the TCS OFF function still applied in the "normal" way, disabling TCS,

There is no indication that the 2016.5 model had Mazda i-Activ AWD as a feature, and this part is key. The i-Activ AWD feature appears unique to 2G AWD cars only, and is an integration of many previously separated features such ABS, TCS and DSC among other subsystems. You can read about i-Activ AWD and its secret off road feature here: Mazda Off Road Traction Assist.

As far as I can tell, Off Road Traction Assist (ORTA) does not apply to any 1G models, including the 1G FWD model referred to in the OT.
The OP only has to worry about ORTA on 2G AWD models equipped with i-Activ AWD feature.
I cannot speak to TCS on 2G FWD models, but presume the TCS can be turned off.

Going back to ORTA, the linked article discusses how to unlock the so called "Easter Egg" ORTA mode, available on models with i-Activ AWD, by simply activating the TCS OFF button, Only Mazda i-Activ AWD equipped models have ORTA logic built in, and pressing the TCS OFF button turns on the ORTA feature, which simulates locked differential behavior; The TCS OFF button does not actually turn off TCS. Starting in 2020 models, the TCS OFF button was replaced by the ORTA button (vehicle silhouette going up a rough terrain slope), a more accurate representation of the AWD behavior.

What is not said, is how do you turn off the TCS portion of the Mazda i-Active AWD.. It appears you cannot turn it off. You can only "unlock" or turn on the ORTA function after stopping the vehicle, and ORTA will reset to off when the engine is turned off. The i-Activ AWD system supposedly works all the time, the computer making decisions using input from 27 data channels updating at 200 times per second. As far as I can see, the only way to "turn off" i-Activ AWD is if there a system fault, and the car computer will do that automatically.

Ironically, overuse of the ORTA function may induce such an i-Active AWD fault, as noted in the manual: "If the vehicle is driven continuously with the Off-Road Traction Assist on, the AWD warning indication may be displayed"

Quick Reply: Considering CX-5 ownership, concerned about traction control