Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Coolant problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 06:10 AM
Default under warranty ?

Originally Posted by CX5gal
My 2012 CX5 engine got replaced without any arguments in Qld when I had that problem. Now the coolant bypass is cracked and leaking. It is only made from plastic and Mazda have now replaced them with a metal one.
Hi
Was the bypass hose covered by mazda or did you pay for the repair
Thanks

Old 03-22-2023, 06:20 AM

Our Cx5 had the same head gasket issue and the motor was replaced by Mazda at 120K KM
It looks like the plastic coolant bypass is going to be the next thing to go for everyone.
They have upgraded it to a metal one but there are none available.
Mazda quoted $636 to repair and told us not to drive it in the quote.
Part not available to early April.
No zoom zoom feeling here

Old 05-08-2023, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by KennyK
Hi
Thanks
Mazda have refused to come to the party to replace my cracked coolant bypass and want about $1100 to change it. 2017 model with 120 000km. I'm not happy about that.

Old 06-23-2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BruceS
Mazda have refused to come to the party to replace my cracked coolant bypass and want about $1100 to change it. 2017 model with 120 000km. I'm not happy about that.
Hi, I have been constantly experiencing the same issue for the last few weeks. The problem is that there is a pressure build-up in the coolant system. I went to Mazda, and they confirmed that combustion air is entering the coolant system, which is causing this problem. Although my car's warranty has expired, it is evident that this is a manufacturing defect. I have always taken good care of my car and serviced it on time. Furthermore, I checked the recall history and found that mazda recalled car in 2020 for same reason. In my opinion, Mazda should take responsibility for this and replace the entire engine free of charge. I am looking forward to your response.

Old 06-23-2023, 04:33 PM

My 2012 CX5 engine got replaced without any arguments in Qld when I had that problem. Now the coolant bypass is cracked and leaking. It is only made from plastic and Mazda have now replaced them with a metal one.
I am facing issue . It does not have any warranty left . It’s 2013 model what should I do .

Old 06-24-2023, 12:33 PM

There are five places to look if it's overheating.
  1. The radiator cap. Cheap so just get a new one.
  2. The thermostat. The upper radiator hose should be hot if it's opening.
  3. The rinky-dink belt that drives the water pump. Just change it. Could be failure of the pump impeller as well.
  4. Are the radiator fans running when they need to.
  5. Maybe the secret coolant that Mazda specs?
The head gasket failures are probably the result of engine overheating. When the coolant alarm is on don't run the engine!

Last edited by Tony_H; 06-24-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:04 PM
Default Possible Class Action being investigated by Shine Lawyers Nov 2023

If you have a CX5 diesel and have had these issues join the fb group - Mazda CX5 Diesel Issues

Facebook Post

Contact Shine Lawyers to join possible class action here

https://www.shine.com.au/contact-us/...wNV0cffKDHWLQQ

Old 11-02-2023, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by KennyK
Hi
Thanks
I was not aware it was a recall at the time as I was not notified by Mazda so I replaced it myself...nut no w I have carbon in the coolant.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:38 AM

I was not aware it was a recall at the time as I was not notified by Mazda so I replaced it myself...nut no w I have carbon in the coolant.
You can still try to have Mazda pay you all the money you spent repairing the issue since you weren't told about the recall. It would help your case if you have receipts to prove it.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
This actually extends to none diesel engine when asking for parts and or labor reimbursement. They must be service by experienced and trained auto mechanic or technicians.
You can still try to have Mazda pay you all the money you spent repairing the issue since you weren't told about the recall. It would help your case if you have receipts to prove it.
This is a good idea but only works sometimes (really rare) and if the service was done by a Certified Diesel mechanic, Mazda Certified Technician or ASE Master Technician with l2 certification.

This actually extends to none diesel engine when asking for parts and or labor reimbursements. They must be service by experienced and trained auto mechanic or technicians.
When we get a good customer with similar service that he/she feel strongly about getting the auto manufacture to pay for the parts and service it is a PIA at times the detailed documentation I have to do on the service contract to help our customer. It involves detailing why we replaced the part how we determined it was bad and the exact method of procedure to replace the part used. And then the customers seldom ever see full reimbursement if any.

Quick Reply: Coolant problems?