Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Coolant problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tony_H
There are five places to look if it's overheating.
This is generally good information but you may look next time at the year and engine type.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JoJoBella
If you have a CX5 diesel and have had these issues join the fb group - Mazda CX5 Diesel Issues
These are both Ambulance chasers. I doubt based on my learned and research about Class action suits and cases like these relating to the auto manufactures in this thread it will ever happen let alone be victorious to even see a settlement. They advertise in hopes of generating enough interest and in the end, it takes months sometimes years to get any reimbursement and it is in most cases so small you wonder why you participated. However, they Law firm when they do get a settlement makes the true money. LOL

I suggest instead of posting this information to first do some background research and learn the ins and out of class action suits.

slang term:
Urban Dictionary: ambulance chaser

Old 11-05-2023, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This is generally good information but you may look next time at the year and engine type.
What are you trying to say? What year...what engine?

Last edited by Tony_H; 11-06-2023 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:27 PM
Default Mazda 2013 CX-5 Diesel

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
If your in NSW, there is a very good chance of Mazda replacing your engine.
Hi guys,

I have exactly the same problem, I am in Melbourne, here below is the diagnostic check from the dealer:

Carried out diagnostic check over vehicle,
Scanned for codes,
Found P111a coolant over temperature to be present & P0401 EGR a flow
insuffiecient.
Carried out visual inspection with cooling system under pressure,
Found leak from coolant bypass.
Carried out TK test,
Failed test.
Removed and tested thermostat,
Confirmed working correctly.
Removed and tested EGR cooler,
Found bubbles to be escaping when pressure testing, failed test.
Pressure tested radiator cap,
Failed test.
Sent radiator out for testing,
Found radiator to be leaking.
Checked over cooling fan ground points,
Confirmed all ok.
Carried-out leakdown & compression test.
Requires replacement of cylinder head & gaskets, radiator, EGR cooler,
radiator cap & coolant bypass.

Now I am wondering if they should grant me warrant and replace a new engine for me? The dealer told me they tried to contact Mazda but they declined the request of the warrant, the odometer is 160,000KM+ only. What can I do now?

Old 01-19-2024, 10:47 PM
Default coolrant

Originally Posted by raj33
Hi, I have been constantly experiencing the same issue for the last few weeks. The problem is that there is a pressure build-up in the coolant system. I went to Mazda, and they confirmed that combustion air is entering the coolant system, which is causing this problem. Although my car's warranty has expired, it is evident that this is a manufacturing defect. I have always taken good care of my car and serviced it on time. Furthermore, I checked the recall history and found that mazda recalled car in 2020 for same reason. In my opinion, Mazda should take responsibility for this and replace the entire engine free of charge. I am looking forward to your response.

Hi, can you please shoot me the recall notice so that I can go to the dealer? Thanks

Old 01-20-2024, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MazdaCX5headache
Hi, can you please shoot me the recall notice so that I can go to the dealer? Thanks
Well first if you purchased the car from any dealer this would have been easy to get otherwise, you can go to any Mazda dealership and request it, (look for your VIN service info while there) MAZDA USA , MAZDA Corp if outside the USA or better,
NHTSA and enter you VIN

The problem is going to be the miles on your engine. If you or the previous owner(s) never had the issue or had a issue and never got it entered on the VIN at a dealership you are looking for a steep uphill battle to get it covered under the warranty. Just saying!

Good luck

Old 01-20-2024, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MazdaCX5headache
Hi guys,

I have exactly the same problem, I am in Melbourne, here below is the diagnostic check from the dealer:

Carried out diagnostic check over vehicle,
Scanned for codes,
Found P111a coolant over temperature to be present & P0401 EGR a flow
insuffiecient.
Carried out visual inspection with cooling system under pressure,
Found leak from coolant bypass.
Carried out TK test,
Failed test.
Removed and tested thermostat,
Confirmed working correctly.
Removed and tested EGR cooler,
Found bubbles to be escaping when pressure testing, failed test.
Pressure tested radiator cap,
Failed test.
Sent radiator out for testing,
Found radiator to be leaking.
Checked over cooling fan ground points,
Confirmed all ok.
Carried-out leakdown & compression test.
Requires replacement of cylinder head & gaskets, radiator, EGR cooler,
radiator cap & coolant bypass.

Now I am wondering if they should grant me warrant and replace a new engine for me? The dealer told me they tried to contact Mazda but they declined the request of the warrant, the odometer is 160,000KM+ only. What can I do now?
A good thorough and systematic diagnosis. It looks like your engine has failed, sorry. To me the one check that stands out is the failed rad cap. This could have resulted in the overheating that caused your engine to fail. A cheap, easily replaceable part that may have led to a huge cost.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:47 AM

A good thorough and systematic diagnosis. It looks like your engine has failed, sorry. To me the one check that stands out is the failed rad cap. This could have resulted in the overheating that caused your engine to fail. A cheap, easily replaceable part that may have led to a huge cost.
A failed radiator cap on a Skyactiv engine would have cause fluctuation in the normal coolant temperatures resulting in the ECU to generate a DTC(s) LONG BEFORE any engine damage could have occurred. Also had the check engine light been ignored the RED engine light would have been generated by the ECU and more than likely the ECU would have adjusted the engine to go into "LIMP" mode to help protect it? Neither was indicated occurred by the OP.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-20-2024 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Well first if you purchased the car from any dealer this would have been easy to get otherwise, you can go to any Mazda dealership and request it, (look for your VIN service info while there) MAZDA USA , MAZDA Corp if outside the USA or better,
NHTSA and enter you VIN

The problem is going to be the miles on your engine. If you or the previous owner(s) never had the issue or had a issue and never got it entered on the VIN at a dealership you are looking for a steep uphill battle to get it covered under the warranty. Just saying!

Good luck
Thanks for the reply, I just want to confirm if there is any recall for this issue, anywhere in the world, so that I can convince this is the manufacturer's fault, no the users'.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:05 PM

Do I have to replace the whole engine? It is not a cheap job to me.

Quick Reply: Coolant problems?