Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Coolant problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
A failed radiator cap on a Skyactiv engine would have cause fluctuation in the normal coolant temperatures resulting in the ECU to generate a DTC(s) LONG BEFORE any engine damage could have occurred. Also had the check engine light been ignored the RED engine light would have been generated by the ECU and more than likely the ECU would have adjusted the engine to go into "LIMP" mode to help protect it? Neither was indicated occurred by the OP.
So now I have to replace the engine?

Old 01-20-2024, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by MazdaCX5headache
Do I have to replace the whole engine? It is not a cheap job to me.
Well you need to do more investigation. If it can be turned and has no compression on even one cylinder it does need to get disassembled to the point that determines what is the problem. From there it's a case of not throwing good money after bad and maybe a used engine is an option. My comment about the radiator cap was more for the benefit of other readers because these engines do seem to have head gasket failures so making sure the cooling system is working is very important.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:46 PM

Thanks Tony, I am trying to seek help from the dealer and Mazda Au, if no luck, I will try to replace a second hand engine, someone suggest me to remove the DPF, EGR, to avoid engine light problem, will it be working and legal?

Old 01-21-2024, 09:34 AM

Hi guys,

, I am in Melbourne, here below is the diagnostic check from the dealer:

Carried out diagnostic check over vehicle,
Scanned for codes,

Carried-out leakdown & compression test.
Requires replacement of cylinder head & gaskets, radiator, EGR cooler,
radiator cap & coolant bypass.

Now I am wondering if they should grant me warrant and replace a new engine for me? The dealer told me they tried to contact Mazda but they declined the request of the warrant, the odometer is 160,000KM+ only. What can I do now?
I am trying to seek help from the dealer and Mazda Au, if no luck, I will try to replace a second hand engine, someone suggest me to remove the DPF, EGR, ...........
Your testing although a comprehensive list really does not show the measurements numbers. Not that it matters at this point because you have concluded the engine is toast!!
The bottom line is at this point you really need an experienced diesel mechanic and a shop to give you estimate on replacing several parts which may also include the complete engine.
grim_reaper gave you a good response about your MAZDA
[QUOTE=[b]grim_reaper;201798]If your in NSW, there is a very good chance of Mazda replacing your engine.[/QUOTE]

As for some other advice from some other members consider the source on a forum from somewhat or just simply new members that none of us know anything about yet and read between the line. IMHO they read a DIY and/or very old school auto repair tinkerer add little to no direct experience or any formal training with diesel engines and you get less then accurate, empirical or fact based advise for your specific MAZDA.
The miles on your MAZDA and unless you can prove that your engine problems happened several thousand miles ago via some documentation hopefully from Mazda service or a licensed service shop with invoices of work performed it is not likely Mazda is going to warranty anything. That is my opinion based on experience serval times a year attempting to help my customers that are in similar situation like yours and wanting auto manufacture help under the warranty that has all but expired.
I did not say you should not give up but unless you want to invest in legal action it does not look in your favor to get assistance from Mazda . The Warranty is very clearly written.
This is the most I have posted on any thread having to do with a diesel ever and I am L2 certified but just hate diesels in general and will almost never work on them in the real world. lol

So again I say Good luck.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-21-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BruceS
Mazda have refused to come to the party to replace my cracked coolant bypass and want about $1100 to change it. 2017 model with 120 000km. I'm not happy about that.
I have just had the same issue, mine is a 2015 CX5.... surely if this is a known fault there should be some recourse with Mazda. I havent picked mine up yet (later today)...

Old 05-27-2024, 09:07 AM
Default Coolant Bypass leak

We have the same problem and the dealer will not pay for the repair. We have just found that the CX5 should have had it's coolant changed two services ago i.e. two years ago as it had reached 10 years under Mazda's service schedule and now the bypass pipe has failed. Would this have contributed to the failure and would it have any standing in court please? I am told that maybe grim_reaper is the person to ask but if anybody has any clues, we would be most grateful.

Old 05-27-2024, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kimblerulez
We have the same problem and the dealer will not pay for the repair. We have just found that the CX5 should have had it's coolant changed two services ago i.e. two years ago as it had reached 10 years under Mazda's service schedule and now the bypass pipe has failed. Would this have contributed to the failure and would it have any standing in court please? I am told that maybe grim_reaper is the person to ask but if anybody has any clues, we would be most grateful.
Good luck with attempting a court case. You don't really IMHO have one.

You should have a record of service checks which at some point earlier would have been your cooling system. If you are past the WARRATY period it is very unlikely that MAZDA (not the dealership) will extend a warranty service. If you have a good repour with your dealership and have had your Mazda serviced with them over the years and warranty period they may do a courtesy service for you.
Having the coolant replaced is not part of the warranty btw and should have been a recommended service but at your expense. So I am not sure whom told you otherwise.

ASE

Old 05-27-2024, 10:36 AM

Thanks for your reply. I know that the coolant replacement isnt under warranty and that I should pay for it. The car has had sixteen services with Mazda since new and we have just found out that they failed to inform us of the scheduled coolant replacement that should have happened two years ago. We didn't know anything about it.

Old 05-27-2024, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kimblerulez
Thanks for your reply. I know that the coolant replacement isnt under warranty and that I should pay for it. The car has had sixteen services with Mazda since new and we have just found out that they failed to inform us of the scheduled coolant replacement that should have happened two years ago. We didn't know anything about it.
This thread is getting more about you and your Mazda then the original OPS?
They didn't fail as there is no REQUIREMENT to report what you received when you purchased your new vehicle. It is normally a courtesy and a way to generate addition service charges from dealerships to suggest and recommend outside the service warranty serving.
Noting indicates a failure to advise you of a WARRANTY service needed from the limited information you posted? However, if you want to post on this thread or a thread of your own or even via PM I would be happy to read all your service work in detail to see what when and where service required, service advised and service recommend where stated. Remember that you should have read all those in detail before signing the release of the services at the dealership and returning your vehicle back to you..
ASE

Old 05-27-2024, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This thread is getting more about you and your Mazda then the original OPS?
They didn't fail as there is no REQUIREMENT to report what you received when you purchased your new vehicle. It is normally a courtesy and a way to generate addition service charges from dealerships to suggest and recommend outside the service warranty serving.
Noting indicates a failure to advise you of a WARRANTY service needed from the limited information you posted? However, if you want to post on this thread or a thread of your own or even via PM I would be happy to read all your service work in detail to see what when and where service required, service advised and service recommend where stated. Remember that you should have read all those in detail before signing the release of the services at the dealership and returning your vehicle back to you..
ASE
A brand new member, just register an hour ago. My first post, looking for guidance or help and a senior member greets me like this???

Quick Reply: Coolant problems?