Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 2.2D Rear Brake Caliper Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 09:04 AM
Default CX-5 2.2D Rear Brake Caliper Problem

Currently under lock down here, so decided it would be a good time to change the brake pads on my CX5-2.2D with electronic park brake.

I only found out I had to put the EPB it into maintenance mode after I had removed the caliper. It seems that I messed it up and actually activated the parking brake with the caliper out, instead of releasing it. The piston has now been pushed out, to the extent that it seems that it has disconnected from the motor, in fact it may have dislodged the seal as a small amount of brake fluid has leaked out. I have tried releasing the brake but the motor just turns till eventually the EPB failure light comes on and the EPB light flashes.

Would appreciate any ideas on how I fix this?

Old 03-28-2020, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

You need to put the EPB into maintenance mode. Then either rebuild or replace the caliper.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

What ever you do, don't rotate the pistons to push them back in.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cct_1
Currently under lock down here, so decided it would be a good time to change the brake pads on my CX5-2.2D with electronic park brake.

I only found out I had to put the EPB it into maintenance mode after I had removed the caliper. It seems that I messed it up and actually activated the parking brake with the caliper out, instead of releasing it. The piston has now been pushed out, to the extent that it seems that it has disconnected from the motor, in fact it may have dislodged the seal as a small amount of brake fluid has leaked out. I have tried releasing the brake but the motor just turns till eventually the EPB failure light comes on and the EPB light flashes.

Would appreciate any ideas on how I fix this?
How did you fix the problem? I did the same thing.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:24 AM
Default CX-5 2.2D Rear Brake Caliper Problem

Great instructional video, concise and to the point with handy hints. Just did my CX5 pads and followed this to the letter.
snaptube vidmate word to pdf

Old 07-18-2021, 12:12 AM
Yoo

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
What ever you do, don't rotate the pistons to push them back in.
If the piston is out all the way, do you just push the piston back in WITHOUT rotating the piston? I saw a picture with piston our and it looked like it had to be twisted in. Kinda like nut and screw putting together. I have 2017 CX9 with EPB

Old 07-18-2021, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Yoo
If the piston is out all the way, do you just push the piston back in WITHOUT rotating the piston? I saw a picture with piston our and it looked like it had to be twisted in. Kinda like nut and screw putting together. I have 2017 CX9 with EPB

Refer to your own started Thread.