Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cx-5 2012 2.2l diesel engine seizure

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 10:09 PM
Default Cx-5 2012 2.2l diesel engine seizure

I am a recent owner of a second hand CX-5 2012, 2.2L Diesel, details of the car below,

ENGINE # SH30214067
CHASSIS # KE2AW 102992
MODEL # LDA - KE2AW
MILEAGE # 58,000km

After 2 weeks of buying the car, it developed a coolant problem where the coolant would overflow from the overflow tank and give a cooling system sign on dashboard whilst stalling the engine. I took it to the Mazda dealership in my country for the problem to be fix and a major service. After 5 days of trying to diagnose the problem they said it was a broken waterpipe and they charged me approximately US$600.00 for everything.

400kms after being released from the service, I was on the traveling at 120km/h, the car gave me multiple warning on the dashboard which I couldn't understand, and when I stopped there was smoke coming engine and a smell of burnt coolant. When I opened the bonet, coolant and oil was splashed all over the engine. I checked under the car and oil was literally flowing from the engine.

I called the dealership of the problem and it was towed back. Now they are saying that they can't really tell what caused the problem and they are asking me to pay approximately US$15,000 for a new engine.

Though I admit that I did not do due diligence before purchasing this vehicle, it seems like these Mazda guys does not know the problems inherent with this version and what they are doing is trial and error because from my research, this is a known problem for this version.

What is my recourse with regards to the above as I am asked to foot the whole bill? In addition, the car went to the dealership giving signals of cooling failure and came out not giving any signals until the engine has seized and they are saying it could have been a sensor problem that's why it didn't give warning like it did before. Is there a way to make them account for their failure to research on this model before releasing it for use?

Old 08-15-2021, 02:09 PM

I’m sorry for your issues with the CX. I don’t have much hope that you will be successful in avoiding the financial responsibility for the engine. A vehicle built ten years ago has no warranty (unless you purchased from a dealer who offered a limited one). I have no idea about what consumer protection regulations exist in Zimbabwe, but even in the US your options would be pretty limited. Unfortunately, dealer incompetence is not usually considered a crime, and it sounds to me that it’s up to you to pay for repairs. Perhaps I’m incorrect and I hope that someone who is familiar with your local laws can comment.