Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 Brakes Issue - Permanent Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 01:33 PM
Default CX-5 Brakes Issue - Permanent Fix?

Short summary: Basically, I'd like to know whether there is a permanent fix for the known electronic parking brake issue with the 2016 CX-5? I've seen some people have calipers replaced only for the issue to come back in a few thousand miles. I can't find much about whether replacing the whole EPB unit is a workable, permanent, solution. Hope someone on here has had this issue, and has good news for a permanent fix (regardless of cost).

Full context of issue: We just bought a 2nd hand 2016 CX-5 with what looked like a good service history. We know all about the dreaded electronic parking brake/rear caliper issues, but thought we had done our due diligence on this car, and it seemed fine (bought from a reputable non-Mazda dealer who insisted they replaced the brakes as part of their routine service on newer cars that come in as trade-ins, and otherwise there was no recorded history of multiple or unusual brake replacements).

However, after having the car less than a month, we got out of the vehicle and smelled a really strong burning rubber smell - was clearly coming from rear driver's side tire. Knowing about the EPB issue, we made sure that the parking brake was definitely off, and then cautiously drove it home. Over the next few days, we were careful to avoid engaging the EPB unless needed, and also to ensure that we heard it coming off each time we drove, plus checked for any burning smell or wear to the brakes. All seemed fine.

A few days ago, we started getting an alert for the tire pressure, although all the tires seemed OK. We didn't connect it to the brake issue, but went straight to check the tire pressure and seemed fine. We reset the sensor, thinking that maybe it was because we'd had some very, very warm days and the heating/cooling could be causing a false reading. For the rest of the day, no tire pressure light - the issue seemed fixed.

Today, we were reversing out of a tight spot, and were distracted by people nearby with a lot of kids, so probably didn't check closely enough that the parking brake was definitely fully off (by listening, on top of manually disengaging). The car did seem a bit sluggish, slow to engage as we moved through the carpark, but then seemed fine. As we were driving, the tire pressure warning beep came on about a block from home. We pulled up in the drive to the burning smell, again - very strong - and the drivers' side wheel was noticably very warm compared with the passenger side. Hard to tell if brakes are more worn than when we last looked at them. I would hazard a guess that the pressure light is coming on as the hot weather and heat from partially engaged EPB is causing the tires to read as too high pressure? Or perhaps the heat in the brakes is providing a faulty low-pressure reading by some other mechanism.

We'll be booking into the Mazda services near here tomorrow, and I would like to know what I should/can request to resolve this issue. I've read material on here and elsewhere that makes me think there may be no permanent solution to this problem - some people have some luck with getting the calipers replaced (which I will likely request tomorrow), but I know it's not guaranteed as a permanent fix, and I'm wondering whether anyone knows if Mazda has a permanent solution yet (such as replacing the entire EPB unit, plus calipers, drums, pads, etc.)? As this is a very recent, and not small, purchase, we actually don't mind paying extra to get all this done if it makes the car safe and drivable for a long time into the future. I'm super frustrated that we may have just bought a car that will need new brakes every few thousand miles for the rest of its' life, with no permanent fix, so any reassurances that this isn't the case would be really appreciated!

Old 07-25-2021, 02:00 PM

I wish I had an answer for you, but I do not. I can say (too late to help you) that when a dealer says they “replaced the brakes” they mean just the rotors and pads - neither of which is the problem here. I hope you get it resolved soon.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:52 PM

I had stuck guide pins on both front and rear, rear had signs of uneven wear and I replaced pads and rotors. Then checked the front (both sides) had worn unevenly with inside pads being completely worn and outside pads being almost brand new. Rotors were ruined. Replaced all myself and cleaned and relubed guide pins. 2016 cx5 in New England Kodi nox area. So plenty of snow and salt. 30k Kms total at the time.

Last edited by winkybil; 08-09-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by CarWad
Short summary: Basically, I'd like to know whether there is a permanent fix for the known electronic parking brake issue with the 2016 CX-5? I've seen some people have calipers replaced only for the issue to come back in a few thousand miles. I can't find much about whether replacing the whole EPB unit is a workable, permanent, solution. Hope someone on here has had this issue, and has good news for a permanent fix (regardless of cost).

Full context of issue: We just bought a 2nd hand 2016 CX-5 with what looked like a good service history. We know all about the dreaded electronic parking brake/rear caliper issues, but thought we had done our due diligence on this car, and it seemed fine (bought from a reputable non-Mazda dealer who insisted they replaced the brakes as part of their routine service on newer cars that come in as trade-ins, and otherwise there was no recorded history of multiple or unusual brake replacements).

However, after having the car less than a month, we got out of the vehicle and smelled a really strong burning rubber smell - was clearly coming from rear driver's side tire. Knowing about the EPB issue, we made sure that the parking brake was definitely off, and then cautiously drove it home. Over the next few days, we were careful to avoid engaging the EPB unless needed, and also to ensure that we heard it coming off each time we drove, plus checked for any burning smell or wear to the brakes. All seemed fine.

A few days ago, we started getting an alert for the tire pressure, although all the tires seemed OK. We didn't connect it to the brake issue, but went straight to check the tire pressure and seemed fine. We reset the sensor, thinking that maybe it was because we'd had some very, very warm days and the heating/cooling could be causing a false reading. For the rest of the day, no tire pressure light - the issue seemed fixed.

Today, we were reversing out of a tight spot, and were distracted by people nearby with a lot of kids, so probably didn't check closely enough that the parking brake was definitely fully off (by listening, on top of manually disengaging). The car did seem a bit sluggish, slow to engage as we moved through the carpark, but then seemed fine. As we were driving, the tire pressure warning beep came on about a block from home. We pulled up in the drive to the burning smell, again - very strong - and the drivers' side wheel was noticably very warm compared with the passenger side. Hard to tell if brakes are more worn than when we last looked at them. I would hazard a guess that the pressure light is coming on as the hot weather and heat from partially engaged EPB is causing the tires to read as too high pressure? Or perhaps the heat in the brakes is providing a faulty low-pressure reading by some other mechanism.

We'll be booking into the Mazda services near here tomorrow, and I would like to know what I should/can request to resolve this issue. I've read material on here and elsewhere that makes me think there may be no permanent solution to this problem - some people have some luck with getting the calipers replaced (which I will likely request tomorrow), but I know it's not guaranteed as a permanent fix, and I'm wondering whether anyone knows if Mazda has a permanent solution yet (such as replacing the entire EPB unit, plus calipers, drums, pads, etc.)? As this is a very recent, and not small, purchase, we actually don't mind paying extra to get all this done if it makes the car safe and drivable for a long time into the future. I'm super frustrated that we may have just bought a car that will need new brakes every few thousand miles for the rest of its' life, with no permanent fix, so any reassurances that this isn't the case would be really appreciated!
How did this end up turning out for you? I am having the same problem and am at a loss of what to do next