Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 or CX-30?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 07:21 AM
Default CX-5 or CX-30?

New to this forum and I am seriously considering getting a Mazda. But any preference/reason to get a CX-5 over the CX-30? A bit about my situation. I'm coming out of a 2017 Audi Allroad - which has been problem free and an incredible joy to drive and own. Why sell that Audi? Well, I'm at 4 years and 47k miles and don't want to own a German car too much after end of warranty - even general maintenance is pricey. Also, I can get a nice price for my.Audi. I drive about 12k a year and want to buy, bot lease and God willing, keep this car long term ~ 8-10 years. I'm 67 years old and want a reliable, well made, reasonably (very subjective word) comfortable, fun to drive small SUV. Looking to get a higher level edition in either model. At my age and situation, I'm not willing to spend the $50k+ on another car. Prices seem to be not too different between the two models. Any reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Old 12-02-2020, 09:27 AM

The CX-5 has an independent rear suspension, the CX-30 has a torsion beam rear suspension. So the CX-5 should ride and handle better, in theory.

I just bought a CX-5, the only car in the family, mainly for my wife. When I'll need to get a second car, I'll test drive a turbo CX-30 and 3 and decide then. I like the look of the CX-30 more, but it's smaller than what we needed.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by FerrariF1
The CX-5 has an independent rear suspension, the CX-30 has a torsion beam rear suspension. So the CX-5 should ride and handle better, in theory.

I just bought a CX-5, the only car in the family, mainly for my wife. When I'll need to get a second car, I'll test drive a turbo CX-30 and 3 and decide then. I like the look of the CX-30 more, but it's smaller than what we needed.
Thanks. I decided on and now on the CX-5.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:24 AM

I was in the same place decision wise. Ultimately I think it depends on desired features. I chose the CX-5 because the options I wanted most weren't available on the CX-30. (Specifically ventilated seats.) That said, the cost difference may also justify not paying the premium for a limited feature set. Either choice, a fantastic vehicle.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
Good choice. It's more versatile than the CX-30. We love our CX-5 so far.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:19 AM

Excellent choice. You won't regret it. I loved my CX-5 Touring, and my new Signature just elevates it. Enjoy and share your new ride pics with us!

Old 12-03-2020, 07:29 AM

Thanks All.

I was pretty decided on the CX-5 at the day's start, but since we went to Subaru yesterday to select and later pick up my wife's new (leased) Crosstrek, but if I couldn't get a within my budget CX-5, I would have gone for a Limited Crosstrek. Originally I was looking at the Touring Prefered but then I gave it more thought and I knew I'd want a model with the larger engine. When I walked into the dealership, there was a CX-5 Carbon with red leather seats. Very stunning looking car! I then took it for a short ride. Right then and there I knew that was the one I wanted - if the numbers worked. Of course - like every new car transaction, there was a bit of horse trading - the numbers worked and so after a very long day at 2 dealerships - Mazda and Subaru, I drove my CX-5 (and my wife the Crosstrek) home last night.

I'll post pics a bit later, with some first impressions of the car.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:31 AM

Congrats. You'll love the Mazda!

Old 12-03-2020, 06:47 PM

Thanks again! Well, I just brought my CX-5 to my detailer for PPF (paint protection film) and a quick detail and sealant. Unfortunately I can't post the problems until I figure out the file issue.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:42 PM

New to this forum and I am seriously considering getting a Mazda. But any preference/reason to get a CX-5 over the CX-30? A bit about my situation. I'm coming out of a 2017 Audi Allroad - which has been problem free and an incredible joy to drive and own. Why sell that Audi? Well, I'm at 4 years and 47k miles and don't want to own a German car too much after end of warranty - even general maintenance is pricey. Also, I can get a nice price for my.Audi. I drive about 12k a year and want to buy, bot lease and God willing, keep this car long term ~ 8-10 years. I'm 67 years old and want a reliable, well made, reasonably (very subjective word) comfortable, fun to drive small SUV. Looking to get a higher level edition in either model. At my age and situation, I'm not willing to spend the $50k+ on another car. Prices seem to be not too different between the two models. Any reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
I had a similar situation in the choice between the CX-5 and CX-30. For me it came down to the size and turbo for the additional power of the CX-5. GTR or Signature The features are pretty much the same but the CX-5 is slightly larger and has more power. I/we decided on the CX-5 Signature. Picked it up last Friday and so far it is a good decision for us.

Quick Reply: CX-5 or CX-30?