Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 Electrical Problem (Solved)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:06 PM
joj
Post CX-5 Electrical Problem (Solved)

Hey folks, just thought I'd share a fix to a weird problem that we just encountered with our 2014 CX-5.

Out of the blue, the car started displaying several warning lights. Brake, wiper fluid, and headlight warning were flashing. The turn signals and hazards wouldn't work. Neither would the main headlights or fog lights (and brights), although the running lights remained working. Also, the wipers were weird. They would work but immediately stop when you let go of the lever. The brake lights worked fine, as well as the radio.

It was weird.

First I checked fuses and tested a bunch of relays. Nothing there. Seemed like it could be a ground problem. Pulled the battery and cleaned the posts and connectors. Cleaned the frame ground next to the battery.

Anyway, here is the part you want to read...

THERE IS A GROUND INSIDE THE PASSENGER FRONT WHEEL WELL. To the front, between the headlight and wheel. This is where the problem was. Had to jack up the car and remove the wheel. Then removed a bunch of clips and a handful of screws to get the plastic sheathing out of the way. Behind the plastic there is a spot on the frame where two small bolts ground 3 wires. One coming from the wheel and two coming from, I'm guessing the headlight/turn signal. The bolt heads are on the opposite side so you've got remove them blind with a small 10mm wrench. Once removed, I thoroughly cleaned the frame area and connectors with sandpaper and steel wool. Tightened the bolts back down and the car was fine again.

Quick note, the clips are most easily removed with a flat-head screwdriver. Pry up on the middle part until it pops, then pry the whole thing out from the outer edge. Some trial and error there.

There's not a ton of info on the internet for this particular kind of problem on this particular kind of car. Not that I found, anyway. Sorry about no pics. I hope this can help someone down the road.