Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 Electronics and Nav? Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:59 PM
Question CX-5 Electronics and Nav? Issues?

OK- I've had my 2017 CX-5 GT for around 2 months and have experienced the following issues. I was just wondering if there is others who have also experienced similar things, or want to add their own?

1. Navigation GPS just spins instead of initializing. What was strange was this was happening on Friday nights, when I could A'hemm use it the most. I think I fixed this problem by updating the Navigation software on the SD card.
2. All functions involving Safety will DISENGAGE when front sensor badge hit by direct sunlight. I lose Adaptive Cruise, Lane Control etc. An error message displays saying systems "Disengaged". This is a fall seasonal type of occurrence and occurs when driving directly towards a rising or setting sun. I am putting the location of the sun at about 15 to 20 degrees above the horizon, when the sensors kicks out. Shade, cloud cover, or higher sunlight do not have any affect. Not sure what can fix this, or if anyone else has seen it?
3. My TPMS reset is missing. I miss my old car where I could find the pressure associated with each tire. Now with the new Mazda TPMS system, it uses the ABS. So, with fall, evidently my tires lost air as the weather got colder and the warning light came on a couple days back. I added between 3 and 5 psi as needed in 3 of my 4 tires. When I started the engine, the light is still on and there is no reset as shown in all the Mazda videos? I read in one of the forums that driving on a straight road for 20 minutes should reset this? I hope they were right as I will try tomorrow, before calling the dealership.

I have figured out how to turn Adaptive Cruise Off, and Lane assist so it vibrates, but doesn't pull you back, as well as several of the other things hidden away in the Smart electronics, so please feel free to post questions, solutions or other comments.

Last edited by catbait; 10-17-2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 AM

The TPMS in the new Mazda CX-5 is a direct TPMS and not the ABS type, so just drive and it will readjust if pressures are correct. Good you found the menu to disable lane assist driver help /nudge. I have that disabled too. Very annoying. It is like having a back seat driver correcting my steering input.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:21 AM

Get some good safe for plastics contact cleaner. With your car turned off remove the Nav's SD card. Apply said contact cleaner to the contacts of both sides of the SD card. Insert then eject the card from the reader a few times to work the cleaner into the cards contacts along with the contacts of the reader.

Now insert the card and leave it. Sometimes the contacts get oxidized and the data gets corrupted. The Nav electronics doesn't like this and you've seen the result.