Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 GT SD card 2021

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 06:48 PM
Default CX-5 GT SD card 2021

Hello All,
new user here, so please be kind.
I purchased a CX-5 GT in July 2021, the car came without SD card for navigation. I have been using Apple play which has been fine, but would like to get SD card to have an in-car navigation.I have read several posts on the forum and i know that i can buy a card from amazon or NavKing(i think that is correct name) for under 100$. But i could not find answers to few questions about the SD card.
1. if i but one from amazon or other retailer, doe sit come already updated, or do i have to update it myself/ is update optional or necessary for the car to work?
2. i have read several posts stating that there are different card models : K and L, is there difference in the information on those cards?
3. can i just buy an plain, empty SD card from amazon/best buy, and insert it in my computer to get updated maps from Mazda toolkit? if so, is the process straight forward, or do i need to fiddle with cloning and other nonsense, also what kind of card would i need(memory, size etc).
Thank you all for the info and tips.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:11 PM
Old 08-23-2021, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by lisalamb
Hello All,
new user here, so please be kind.
I purchased a CX-5 GT in July 2021, the car came without SD card for navigation. I have been using Apple play which has been fine, but would like to get SD card to have an in-car navigation.I have read several posts on the forum and i know that i can buy a card from amazon or NavKing(i think that is correct name) for under 100$. But i could not find answers to few questions about the SD card.
1. if i but one from amazon or other retailer, doe sit come already updated, or do i have to update it myself/ is update optional or necessary for the car to work?
2. i have read several posts stating that there are different card models : K and L, is there difference in the information on those cards?
3. can i just buy an plain, empty SD card from amazon/best buy, and insert it in my computer to get updated maps from Mazda toolkit? if so, is the process straight forward, or do i need to fiddle with cloning and other nonsense, also what kind of card would i need(memory, size etc).
Thank you all for the info and tips.
As recommended above, do some reading in the threads linked.

"1. if i but one from amazon or other retailer, doe sit come already updated, or do i have to update it myself/ is update optional or necessary for the car to work?"

No, the card doesn't come updated, it comes with whatever version of the maps was current at that time. The cards will work without updating, it's just that the info won't be the latest.

"3. can i just buy an plain, empty SD card from amazon/best buy, and insert it in my computer to get updated maps from Mazda toolkit? if so, is the process straight forward, or do i need to fiddle with cloning and other nonsense, also what kind of card would i need(memory, size etc)."

Think about what you're asking here. If folks could just buy an empty SD card and insert said card in their computers and be good to go, why would anyone buy a Nav SD card? The answer is no, you can't just buy an empty SD card.

Old 08-23-2021, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
As recommended above, do some reading in the threads linked.

"1. if i but one from amazon or other retailer, doe sit come already updated, or do i have to update it myself/ is update optional or necessary for the car to work?"

No, the card doesn't come updated, it comes with whatever version of the maps was current at that time. The cards will work without updating, it's just that the info won't be the latest.

"3. can i just buy an plain, empty SD card from amazon/best buy, and insert it in my computer to get updated maps from Mazda toolkit? if so, is the process straight forward, or do i need to fiddle with cloning and other nonsense, also what kind of card would i need(memory, size etc)."

Think about what you're asking here. If folks could just buy an empty SD card and insert said card in their computers and be good to go, why would anyone buy a Nav SD card? The answer is no, you can't just buy an empty SD card.

Thank you for the response. I actually read all of the threads above and decided to to start my own because i did not find the exact answers to the questions posted.
Thank you for the input again

Old 08-23-2021, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem

thank you, i've checked them out already but could not find the exact answers for my questions.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:20 PM

1: Probably 1-2 updates behind at least, but it should upgrade at least once.
2: I cant say for sure but a while back the card size changed from 8 gb to 16 (the current update still is under 8); this may be the difference
3: The toolkit looks for a valid nav card so no. When I cloned my card for a backup i used a quality 16gb full size SD card.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Turner
1: Probably 1-2 updates behind at least, but it should upgrade at least once.
2: I cant say for sure but a while back the card size changed from 8 gb to 16 (the current update still is under 8); this may be the difference
3: The toolkit looks for a valid nav card so no. When I cloned my card for a backup i used a quality 16gb full size SD card.
thanks Tim Turner. That makes sense

Old 08-23-2021, 06:08 PM

You can also back up the Nav card to your computer. Or the cloud.

You have to drive your car with the Nav card installed for 64 miles for the car and the card to sync before updating the SD card with the toolkit. If you don't drive with the card installed Toolkit will not recognized it as valid.

If you buy from a reputable source, like NavKing, and others, you should end up with a card that has 3 yrs of free updated. Expect to pay around $50 on ebay.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
You can also back up the Nav card to your computer. Or the cloud.

You have to drive your car with the Nav card installed for 64 miles for the car and the card to sync before updating the SD card with the toolkit. If you don't drive with the card installed Toolkit will not recognized it as valid.

If you buy from a reputable source, like NavKing, and others, you should end up with a card that has 3 yrs of free updated. Expect to pay around $50 on ebay.
thank you, that is good to know.
quick question, what happens after 3 years of free updates?

Old 08-23-2021, 08:42 PM

Mazda repossess your car.

Or, the updates stop happening unless you pay a modest subscription fee, or you buy a new eBay card and start afresh.

Quick Reply: CX-5 GT SD card 2021