Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 Might be discontinued ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 06:41 AM
Default CX-5 Might be discontinued ??

Has anyone else heard the CX-5 might be on the way out? If this is the case does this make future resale values even lower?

Old 02-13-2023, 07:53 AM

Any model at any dealer can be phased out at any time.
Speculating on what might happen...well, we could be hit by a planet destroying asteroid tomorrow and the future resale price would be nil.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:08 AM

yeah good point.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:21 PM

The CX5 is Mazda's best selling vehicle . Why would they discontinue it ? My guess is Mazda will continue to produce the CX5 with some minor updates for at least another couple years.

Old 02-13-2023, 09:18 PM

Here are comments by Mazda. You decide.

https://www.carsdirect.com/automotiv...e-discontinued

Old 02-14-2023, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
The CX5 is Mazda's best selling vehicle . Why would they discontinue it ? My guess is Mazda will continue to produce the CX5 with some minor updates for at least another couple years.
Well It kind of makes sense in a way, the CX 50 is pretty much the same vehicle even price wise. If the CX5 goes away, People will get the CX 50 ! The new best selling Model.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Subperson
Well It kind of makes sense in a way, the CX 50 is pretty much the same vehicle even price wise. If the CX5 goes away, People will get the CX 50 ! The new best selling Model.
IMHO, the cx50 with it's live rear axle and the fact it isn't built in Japan makes it a lesser quality choice. It may be slightly bigger, and look different, but overall it's not going to be as good . I can't see a live axle handling like an independent axle ,it will cost less to manufacture and will not ride the same. The CX50 looks like a compromise for cost, styling, and interior space . Sadly I also think the quality of manufacture in the USA plant is not as good as the Japan plant.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:29 AM

But would the average person even know this? I mean Chevy sells junk by the ton but people still buy them, Ford Escape as well and numerous other makes and models. My wife would never go this far but would buy on price \ looks and crash ratings alone.

Old 02-17-2023, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Subperson
CX-50 is not the same as the CX-5. It is built on the Mazda 3/CX-30 platform (torsion-beam rear suspension) not the CX-5 platform, has a lower roofline (less headroom) and the some of the interior materials are not as good as the CX-5. Similarly equipped, the CX-50 is heavier than the CX-5.

Not knocking fellow Americans but the CX-5 is made in Japan where the culture of auto manufacturing is totally different. The workers there are invested in their company and take great pride in their job and work while here, an auto-worker job is just another job.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
The CX5 is Mazda's best selling vehicle . Why would they discontinue it ?
Unknown what their cost structures are for each of the lines (CX-50, CX-5). But if a lower-cost platform serves essentially the identical purpose, it's hard to fault a manufacturer for at least considering the possibility of saving money while serving the same purpose.

No reason to expect that erasure of the CX-5 would drop sales if buyers simply see essentially the same vehicle in the CX-50.

Currently, at least in the U.S., Mazda is marketing eight different trim+feature levels of the CX-5 along with ten different levels of the CX-50. IMO, this isn't sustainable. They've so finely-sliced the market into these little buckets, yet I doubt there are as many buyers in each bucket to justify and support the financial impact of having so many variations. I would fully expect in a couple of years to see several of these sub-models get nixed, the line simplified, and eventually potentially the CX-5 nixed in favor of the newer CX-50. Or, perhaps the company will (as modern culture might term it) "see the light" and flatly declare it's going to move to hybrid/alternatives away from petrol, which could change everything.

Hard to know, for certain.

Quick Reply: CX-5 Might be discontinued ??