Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 Might be discontinued ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 05:05 AM
BWJ

CX-5 comes this year with 2,5 MHEV in Europe, guess the next will be an PHEV and finally EV, CX-5 is the best selling SUV and not without reason.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:42 AM

I have to agree, Mazda has way to many trim levels- they would do better with say three or four per line at least until a final decision is made on the CX5 vs 50.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Subperson
Well It kind of makes sense in a way, the CX 50 is pretty much the same vehicle even price wise. If the CX5 goes away, People will get the CX 50 ! The new best selling Model.
Having just purchased the CX-5 new, and having test drove the CX-50 as well, I can say they are not pretty much the same vehicle. The CX-5 is much easier to get into and sit in as it is taller. Not bumping my head is the first selling point I check out.

Old 07-26-2023, 12:51 PM

I think the 2024 model was just announced with some minor updates. Figured I would mention it in nature of the title to this thread lol.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:06 AM

Considering the sales success of the CX-5 for more than a decade, I believe Mazda's best business decision is to update the model with a new body style (similar to the year 2017 update from the 2013 model year). So, the length and width could remain the same but change the lines of the body a bit. The interior could get a new dashboard design, new seat design etc...Both the exterior and interior could get new colors and materials. Compact SUV's continues to be the most popular vehicle category so I expect that an updated CX-5 would be a top selling model.

Old 12-20-2023, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by CX-MX-5
Considering the sales success of the CX-5 for more than a decade, I believe Mazda's best business decision is to update the model with a new body style (similar to the year 2017 update from the 2013 model year). So, the length and width could remain the same but change the lines of the body a bit. The interior could get a new dashboard design, new seat design etc...Both the exterior and interior could get new colors and materials. Compact SUV's continues to be the most popular vehicle category so I expect that an updated CX-5 would be a top selling model.
Doubtful they would do another reskin like they did in 2017. Two models on the same platform is already pushing it. All new is the way to go next time.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Doubtful they would do another reskin like they did in 2017. Two models on the same platform is already pushing it. All new is the way to go next time.
Whatever is done going forward I believe that since its inception the CX-5's suspension-handling driving characteristics are what has distinguished it from other brands compact SUV's, so those factors should be retained.
I am not an engineer so do not know what benefits might come from a new platform. or if designing a new body style to mate with the existing platform is the best sense strategy. For sure if the CX-5 body shape-lines is not updated consumers will soon consider it 'dated' , which would negatively impact the model's sales.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CX-MX-5
Whatever is done going forward, I believe that since its inception the CX-5's suspension-handling driving characteristics are what has distinguished it from other brands compact SUV's, so those factors should be retained.
I am not an engineer, so do not know what benefits might come from a new platform. Or if designing a new body style to mate with the existing platform is the best sense strategy. For sure, if the CX-5 body shape-lines is not updated consumers will soon consider it 'dated' , which would negatively impact the model's sales.
I fully agree with you about keeping several things: built in Japan, ind rear suspension, smaller size. IMHO it just needs to be from the ground up as the CX-5 is essentially the same car it has been since its inception. Kind of like Nissan did with the current Frontier.

Old 06-17-2024, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
IMHO, the cx50 with it's live rear axle and the fact it isn't built in Japan makes it a lesser quality choice..
Agreed. As one who tours Japanese car plants in North America on regular basis, I think if I wanted to buy a Japanese car, I'd buy one that's made in Japan.