Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 paint durabulity

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 05:32 PM
Default CX-5 paint durabulity

Hi,

Going to pull the trigger on a CX-5 soon and was wonder which colors to avoid due to easy chipping or swirling of the paint.

I have the Polymetal Grey, and Machine Grey and Sonic Silver Metallic at the top of my list right now.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2021, 05:42 PM

Mazda paints contrary to MYTH all have the same aprox. thickness and the hardness of paint not the color chosen is more about the clear coat or top paint protection then the actual color paint. And Red will chip as much as Black. It just more owners of RED cry about there front ends that stick out and ack as a debris stopper . Paint swirls is all in how the vehicle is washed and polished. A 15000 paint job will swirl as quick as an Earl Scheib Paint 49.95 paint job if you dont know what you are doing detailing!

Old 06-12-2021, 10:57 AM

+1

Did not experience any paint issues with our soul red.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:30 PM

Get the color you want and have a good quality paint protection film (PPF) installed right away. Do the front bumper, hood, full fenders, side mirrors. I also did the A pillars and the roof in front of the sunroof. Ceramic coat the rest. Couple grand that will help keep your new car looking new for years. I also added side moulding door protectors in body color.

And stay away from automatic car washes with the big rotating brushes.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
Get the color you want and have a good quality paint protection film (PPF) installed right away. Do the front bumper, hood, full fenders, side mirrors. I also did the A pillars and the roof in front of the sunroof. Ceramic coat the rest. Couple grand that will help keep your new car looking new for years. I also added side moulding door protectors in body color.

Purchased the CX-5 with Machine Grey metallic. Got protection film for the full front including full hood and side mirrors. Also paint protection coating for the rest of the car. I don't believe it's ceramic though. They matched the price of a detailing shop I got a quote from. I will get a ceramic coating after this initial coat wears off.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:02 PM

Nice color choice, protect the paint and you'll enjoy it for years.

Which trim level?

Old 06-13-2021, 12:12 AM

GS with comfort package in Canada. I was seriously considering the Kuro/Carbon edition but was not sold on the red leather seats.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by AZCX5

What are your thoughts on the moldings?

Old 06-13-2021, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
What are your thoughts on the moldings?
Its still black and it is still plastic. Neither will do well if exposed over years to the environment and must be constantly attended to as they age. They (fender and side moldings) a better solution is to get them painted! But here again if you actually still own your MAZDA after 5 years the cost of buying a complete set for the Aesthetic is not that bad?

A trip to any auto wrecker for an afternoon and you can learn an abundant amount of information about the wear of vehicles.

I keep reading this thread and thinking about all those shops that are egger for your business. Most of you wont even own your MAZDA over 3 years and almost 1 % more then 5 years. The wise man/woman (owner) will wash detail and polish his/her car regularly and if and when the front bumper and hood start to look really bad with normal acquired through daily driving just repaint it. Chip are not dents and most shops on an average MAZDA will charge about 600.

My advise is invest in a good quality carcover.....

Old 06-13-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Its still black and it is still plastic. Neither will do well if exposed over years to the environment and must be constantly attended to as they age. They (fender and side moldings) a better solution is to get them painted! But here again if you actually still own your MAZDA after 5 years the cost of buying a complete set for the Aesthetic is not that bad?

A trip to any auto wrecker for an afternoon and you can learn an abundant amount of information about the wear of vehicles.

I keep reading this thread and thinking about all those shops that are egger for your business. Most of you wont even own your MAZDA over 3 years and almost 1 % more then 5 years. The wise man/woman (owner) will wash detail and polish his/her car regularly and if and when the front bumper and hood start to look really bad with normal acquired through daily driving just repaint it. Chip are not dents and most shops on an average MAZDA will charge about 600.

My advise is invest in a good quality carcover.....
Good points, but the side moldings are there to protect agianst things like having a shopping cart bang into the doors. A car cover - even the best of them can induce swirls - if that's a concern.

Quick Reply: CX-5 paint durabulity