Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 paint durabulity

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
Good points, but the side moldings are there to protect against things like having a shopping cart bang into the doors. A car cover - even the best of them can induce swirls - if that's a concern.
Ya I didn't mean those fugly door protection strips on the doors ..... I should have been clear but the side skirts . Sorry.

I actually use nice car custom fit covers and wash and weather protect treat them them. And if attached and secured properly do not cause swirls on even custom paint jobs unless you have those times that the weather is blowing the winds hard. then I would suggest extra securing rope to wrap around the outside of the cover to prevent excessive movement until the winds die down. It is actually dirty under cover that cause swirls or fine scratches and the cover itself. My 09 Mini has a $$$$$ custom paint job and is not garaged (my MAZDA 3 daily driver get that space lol) but in the driveway under 2 car covers when not in use. They still need to be washed from time to time, and even some sealer (3m protectant or equivalent)sprayed on the inside for extra protection. Been there and often do that . LOL You get what you pay for regarding car covers, I recomend the ones that fit only your vehicle and not the universal sorta fit ones.

Last edited by Callisto; 06-13-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:13 PM

I'll post a picture tomorrow of the side moulding strips. They are painted body color, not fuggly black. They don't look bad and I'm hoping they reduce the risk of door dings from inconsiderate adjacent parked cars. And shopping carts. Keeping them "waxed" along with the rest of the car will hopefully keep the car looking good for years. As a senior Porche Club concourse judge, I'm pretty good at keeping my cars clean.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
I'll post a picture tomorrow of the side moulding strips. They are painted body color, not fuggly black. They don't look bad and I'm hoping they reduce the risk of door dings from inconsiderate adjacent parked cars. And shopping carts. Keeping them "waxed" along with the rest of the car will hopefully keep the car looking good for years. As a senior Porche Club concourse judge, I'm pretty good at keeping my cars clean.
I wish we had a thumbs up emo?

Keep clear of Target...and Lowes parking lots. lol

I park waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out where no one shopping would want to walk whenever we go shopping. Yet my MAZDA is a cart magnet. I already have some door damage. Naturally on the side and not in line front or rear of car with my cameras that did activated when it was hit. I even received a notification and went out to see a cart close to my car but no one in sight . What a surprise they never are? I think they know what they do/did and didn't want to hang around to see the reaction of the owner. The only smart thing they did!!!!

Old 06-15-2021, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I wish we had a thumbs up emo?

Keep clear of Target...and Lowes parking lots. lol

I park waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out where no one shopping would want to walk whenever we go shopping. Yet my MAZDA is a cart magnet. I already have some door damage. Naturally on the side and not in line front or rear of car with my cameras that did activated when it was hit. I even received a notification and went out to see a cart close to my car but no one in sight . What a surprise they never are? I think they know what they do/did and didn't want to hang around to see the reaction of the owner. The only smart thing they did!!!!
This.+

I make owning a well preserved car part of my fitness routine, part of getting my 10,000 steps in a day. My wife, on the other hand.... at least she doesn't park next to the cart return.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:19 PM

This is the body color side molding I added to my car recently. They seem pretty well made and not fuggly. Smooth sides look best, but not with door dents

Old 06-15-2021, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
This is the body color side molding I added to my car recently. They seem pretty well made and not fuggly. Smooth sides look best, but not with door dents

That looks really GOOD !

Old 06-15-2021, 05:51 PM

Thanks, I think this brand was a good choice. Sportwing Auto Accessories,.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:46 AM

Agree, looks like it was always a part of the car.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:32 PM

I have the dark Blue and my MIL has the Red, both 2018. Neither of us has done anything except wash our vehicles, no protective coatings. We both have zero paint chips.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:09 AM

The side mouldings do look good.

Quick Reply: CX-5 paint durabulity