Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 stocktire in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 03:43 AM

these are the 2 best alternatives that ive been using on AWD cars. both are true all weather tires that can be used 365
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tir...-crossclimate2
https://www.nokiantires.com/snow-win...n-tyres-wr-g4/

Old 11-29-2023, 08:43 AM

We took my girlfriend's 2021 with the original 17" rim tires and got caught in a near whiteout last year while on a road trip. The car did great and didn't even slip on an unpaved highway that I could only see like a few feet ahead. I may have been extremely nervous and concentrated, but the car was awesome. Obviously there are better tires than the stock ones, but they're good to use until replacement.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
We took my girlfriend's 2021 with the original 17" rim tires and got caught in a near whiteout last year while on a road trip. The car did great and didn't even slip on an unpaved highway that I could only see like a few feet ahead. I may have been extremely nervous and concentrated, but the car was awesome. Obviously, there are better tires than the stock ones, but they're good to use until replacement.
We have a test area, at least I call it that where whenever we (should say me) are testing suspension parts it is a 200ft perfectly flat tarmac. It is loaned to me on weekend in a secured shipping companies parking lot. I have at times when there was a good wet rain taken various vehicles with OEM tires out and with the portable accelerometer measured their performance. Some of the tires on this forum so called having poor performance seem to not show what is actually there. So I have to wonder how in the world and what some people were driving in and how they were driving that many poorly rated OEM Mazda tires were failing them. ROLMAO!!!!

This includes braking from 60MPH to matching almost exactly the advertised specifications.
Other tests were having to do with G-Force and when the vehicle finally slipped on the skid pad.

Old 11-30-2023, 07:27 AM

Tires are designed for all kinds of weather and driving conditions and types of road surfaces or lack thereof.
But any of them are only as good as the skills of the person driving the vehicle they are mounted on.
The best track or snow tires only help a minority of actual drivers.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:17 AM

I lived in the mountains in Colorado for 2 winters and that was the only time I have lived in a snowy area. I never had snow tires but the morning weather report always told if snow chains were required on what mountain passes (studded tires were illegal in Colorado). It was scary driving RWD cars but once I got a FWD VW Rabbit I had absolutely no problems with all season tires, and never had to use chains. I even lived far up a mountain right below a ski resort one winter.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:22 AM
Default No

Originally Posted by Kurve
Does anyone have experience driving in snow with the CX-5? I have a 2018 Mazda CX 5 .....?
I received my CX5 in February during a snow storm. Slid sideways all the way home. Called the dealer and got a set of Michilen X-Ice put on, never looked back.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by tripolitan
I received my CX5 in February during a snow storm. Slid sideways all the way home. Called the dealer and got a set of Michilen X-Ice put on, never looked back.
What kind of tires were on it when you received the car?

Old 12-04-2023, 11:12 AM

maybe a little exaggeration on some members response and not simply driving reduced speeds based on road ,weather and other driving conditions.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:25 PM

Stock Toyo. I did the same with my 2016 CX3 which is obviously a lot lighter.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
maybe a little exaggeration on some members response and not simply driving reduced speeds based on road ,weather and other driving conditions.
of course you don't wanna drive in snow like you would on a nice day in July but 35 years of driving for work in Canadian winters covering 3 provinces through blizzards and ice storms thought me not to take any chances. There is simply no comparison between a stock "all season" tire and a snow tire in such conditions, even a no name snow tire is better.

Quick Reply: CX-5 stocktire in snow?